NHL draft in LA next year...

LabattBlue

Seriously? Once again Bettman being Bettman. Stick to having the draft in cities that actually care about it and move the all-star game around to places that don't.

Seriously - Buffalo has been in the league for 39 years and has only hosted the draft ONCE. (Of course, that was the infamous one where Lindros was drafted by Quebec and refused to put on their jersey. I remember the loud chorus of boos raining down on him...I know 'cause I was one of those booing.)

Seriously - Buffalo has been in the league for 39 years and has only hosted the draft ONCE. (Of course, that was the infamous one where Lindros was drafted by Quebec and refused to put on their jersey. I remember the loud chorus of boos raining down on him...I know 'cause I was one of those booing.)

The draft where Lecavalier went #1 to Tampa was also in Buffalo.

Forsberg, Ricci, Hextall, Simon, Huffman, Duchesne and a 1st round selection in '93 plus 15 million bucks?

Yeah, I was there and booing, too. But we have hosted the draft twice, as shrader pointed out.

The draft is more for the players and the GMs. It really isn't much of a fan experience. I don't see why it matters where it is held. They might as well give an experience to remember to the kids being picked.

That's the problem with the NHL....

That's the problem with the NHL....

Most NHL fans aren't able to watch many of the kids that are about to be drafted. The age of the draft pool and the fact that it is a large international pool make it next to impossible to know the entire draft pool. The NHL draft is doomed from the start in the fan perspective. Take a look at the two popular drafts around the US, the NFL and the NBA. Other than the random european basketball player, the entire draft pool is readily available to the league's audience.

Then there's the MLB draft. I'm not going to even get started on that one.

The draft is more for the players and the GMs. It really isn't much of a fan experience. I don't see why it matters where it is held. They might as well give an experience to remember to the kids being picked.

Agreed. I think it's great for Los Angeles to get the draft. It will give them a lot of hype for the draft and hopefully many kids who do attend become lifelong fans in a non-hockey city. LA is massive, just because it's not a hockey town, doesn't mean they can't sell the arena out. When they were winning several years ago with Luc Robitalle, Ziggy Palffy and Rob Blake they used to sell out all the time.

Agreed. I think it's great for Los Angeles to get the draft. It will give them a lot of hype for the draft and hopefully many kids who do attend become lifelong fans in a non-hockey city. LA is massive, just because it's not a hockey town, doesn't mean they can't sell the arena out. When they were winning several years ago with Luc Robitalle, Ziggy Palffy and Rob Blake they used to sell out all the time.

Sure. And when the Kings were in the '93 finals, Goldie Hawn made this big deal about what a huge Kings fan she was.

She has not been heard from since. Actually, she really hadn't been heard from for a while before 1993, either.

Sure. And when the Kings were in the '93 finals, Goldie Hawn made this big deal about what a huge Kings fan she was.

She has not been heard from since. Actually, she really hadn't been heard from for a while before 1993, either.

She and Burt Reynolds were at the Aud when Gretzky scored his 77th. And 78th and...

I'd say that the crickets are huge Kings fans as well.

Archived