Daniel Briere suspended two games

millbank

I love the line about none of the four on-ice officials seeing the hit. That's impossible.

Seriously...how does an on-ice official miss that? It's a borderline major penalty.

Dale Hunter separated Pierre Turgeon's shoulder after a goal in the playoffs (in 1993?) and didn't get he get 20 games? This looks pretty similar, outside of the importance of the game.

Seriously...how does an on-ice official miss that? It's a borderline major penalty.

Dale Hunter separated Pierre Turgeon's shoulder after a goal in the playoffs (in 1993?) and didn't get he get 20 games? This looks pretty similar, outside of the importance of the game.

I know right....they just do not call these types of penalties on players like this anymore, idk atleast briere. I've seen him get away with a lot lately it seems, even hooking/slashing.

Not to play devil's advocate here, but why is there no clip at full speed. Guys get hit just after releasing the puck all the time. It wasn't late. If it was someone else leaving their feet there might be a story here, but Briere leaving his feet only gets him to the opposing player's belly button. Believe me, I'm the first to jump on officials but I can totally see why it was not called on the ice. This is just another case of the NHL responding to the injury and not the play.

Wow the city of brotherly love must be getting to him. In the last Sabres-Flyers game, I noticed a couple of chippy plays by him I didn't like. I saw a nasty slash and cross check that made we want Mair or Kaleta to crunch him back at the time. Didn't realize his game had devolved into that on a regular basis.

That does make me wonder one thing, is that the way he is being asked to play / being coached ?

Not to play devil's advocate here, but why is there no clip at full speed. Guys get hit just after releasing the puck all the time. It wasn't late. If it was someone else leaving their feet there might be a story here, but Briere leaving his feet only gets him to the opposing player's belly button. Believe me, I'm the first to jump on officials but I can totally see why it was not called on the ice. This is just another case of the NHL responding to the injury and not the play.

I might have bought into that until I watched it a second time and clearly see that elbow come up a little extra high for the head. Deliberate intent comes to mind immediately.

You're right, it wasn't late. Even at slow speed, it isn't late. However, he clearly jumped up to elbow the guy in the face.

You're right, it wasn't late. Even at slow speed, it isn't late. However, he clearly jumped up to elbow the guy in the face.

Even watching it at regular speed, that's exactly the kind of hit a snivelly, whiny li'l bitch would make. Oh wait, it was a snivelly, whiny li'l bitch.

Ahh, twas the day before Thanksgiving and all's well with the world again.

You can see how a blatant charge and elbow wasn't called?

Wow the city of brotherly love must be getting to him. In the last Sabres-Flyers game, I noticed a couple of chippy plays by him I didn't like. I saw a nasty slash and cross check that made we want Mair or Kaleta to crunch him back at the time. Didn't realize his game had devolved into that on a regular basis.

That does make me wonder one thing, is that the way he is being asked to play / being coached ?

No, he always had this in him:

I think I remember another spear, too, maybe while in the middle of a pack, in the offensive zone at the right face-off circle, but I can't remember whom the Sabres were playing.

No, he always had this in him:

I think I remember another spear, too, maybe while in the middle of a pack, in the offensive zone at the right face-off circle, but I can't remember whom the Sabres were playing.

Yeah, Briere has always played a little dirty. The best was when he speared AO in the nuts.

Interesting. Lie down here. Relax.

You didn't see a leap and an elbow?

...here we go...

I definitely see his back skate leave the ice. I can't say for sure if his front leg come off thi ice. I see him raise his shoulder and tuck his arm in readying himself for a hit (which every player on every hit does). I don't see him intentionally raising his elbow to hit someone on the chin. To me it was a clean hit.

But I believe I originally said I can see why it was not called on the ice. If I can't say for sure that he left his feet or even if he really hit him on the chin, in super slo-mo from a camera elevated to optimize the viewing angle, then I can certainly see why a ref at the level of the playing surface didn't see it.

I know he's a former Sabre that left us high and dry so I should hate him and everything he does, but I see what I see.

What's really interesting (hilarious, predictable) is that he MAY have left his feet, and it MAY have been an elbow, but one thing it absolutely was NOT was late.

What is "late"?

How long is "immediately following loss of possession"? (But given that the player scored on the play, can it even be called interference?) I don't think it was late in that sense.

How far is "distance" traveled? Probably not far enough to be charging.

Nah, it wasn't late. He lept at him, which is charging.

And he elbowed him. Maybe. :)

I think the league bristled because it came after a goal.

Good one for the rules thread.

What is "late"?

How long is "immediately following loss of possession"? (But given that the player scored on the play, can it even be called interference?) I don't think it was late in that sense.

How far is "distance" traveled? Probably not far enough to be charging.

Nah, it wasn't late. He lept at him, which is charging.

And he elbowed him. Maybe. :)

I think the league bristled because it came after a goal.

Good one for the rules thread.

Don't forget that the player was also injured.

Archived