Know your NHL rule book!

PASabreFan

Could Craig Rivet ref tomorrow night's game with the Oilers? While still on the Sabres roster?

No looking at the rule book.

I'm going to guess yes. Thinking you found some obscure rule that was enacted in the early 1900's to let a Leaf of Hab ref while playing in the game. He probably scored a hat trick and called 2 minor penalties on himself.

Could Craig Rivet ref tomorrow night's game with the Oilers? While still on the Sabres roster?

I'm going to guess that he can be the referee, linesman, goal judge, time keeper and replay official all at the same time. What a bizarre rule!

Yes he can.

Did you really know that? Impressive.

"If, through misadventure or sickness, the Referees and Linesmen

appointed are prevented from appearing, the League will make every

attempt to find suitable replacement officials, otherwise, the Managers

or Coaches of the two Clubs shall agree on Referee(s) and

Linesman(men). If they are unable to agree, they shall appoint a

player from each side who shall act as Referee and Linesman; the

player of the home Club acting as Referee and the player of the

visiting Club as Linesman."

I can't even envision the misadventure that would have to occur for a home team player to serve as ref, but I'm sure I'm not alone in my willingness to pay an inordinate amount of money to see it happen.

Did you really know that? Impressive.

"If, through misadventure or sickness, the Referees and Linesmen

appointed are prevented from appearing, the League will make every

attempt to find suitable replacement officials, otherwise, the Managers

or Coaches of the two Clubs shall agree on Referee(s) and

Linesman(men). If they are unable to agree, they shall appoint a

player from each side who shall act as Referee and Linesman; the

player of the home Club acting as Referee and the player of the

visiting Club as Linesman."

I can't even envision the misadventure that would have to occur for a home team player to serve as ref, but I'm sure I'm not alone in my willingness to pay an inordinate amount of money to see it happen.

This rule has to be a weird holdover from before time was recorded.

Enough of your magical riddles!

Here goes:

So, the Thrashers are playing the Hurricanes in the Battle of No Attendance. Hurricane forward Ricky-Bobby Jethro kicks the puck across the Thrasher goal line. The referee does not blow his whistle, and the goal light does not go on, because Thrasher goalie Joe Bob Skynyrd manages to get his stick on the puck (which was over the line and in the goal) and sweep it out of danger before anyone notices.

Play continues.

A minute later, Thrasher forward Billy Joe Hobert puts the puck in the Hurricane net with a blistering slapshot. Play stops, and the league's video goal judge reviews Jethro's apparent Hurricane goal from moments ago. The video goal judge correctly concludes that Jethro did not score a goal.

Does Hobert's Thrasher goal count? Or no?

Enough of your magical riddles!

Here goes:

So, the Thrashers are playing the Hurricanes in the Battle of No Attendance. Hurricane forward Ricky-Bobby Jethro kicks the puck across the Thrasher goal line. The referee does not blow his whistle, and the goal light does not go on, because Thrasher goalie Joe Bob Skynyrd manages to get his stick on the puck (which was over the line and in the goal) and sweep it out of danger before anyone notices.

Play continues.

A minute later, Thrasher forward Billy Joe Hobert puts the puck in the Hurricane net with a blistering slapshot. Play stops, and the league's video goal judge reviews Jethro's apparent Hurricane goal from moments ago. The video goal judge correctly concludes that Jethro did not score a goal.

Does Hobert's Thrasher goal count? Or no?

That's an interesting one. I'd have to guess no since the play should have been ruled dead the second the puck crossed the goal line on that first "goal".

Here's one pretty simple rule that I've noticed that very few people are actually aware of. Center #1 gets tossed from the circle. What happens if center #2 from the same team gets tossed from that same faceoff? Yeah, I'm sure most here know of it, but man is it rare to see this ever happen.

Without looking....I know there was a game years ago...maybe it was Hartford where 2 players, on guy from each team stepped in to be linesmen because the linesmen couldn't make it in in a snowstorm.....so perhaps there is some prevision for a captain to ref a period.

That's an interesting one. I'd have to guess no since the play should have been ruled dead the second the puck crossed the goal line on that first "goal".

Here's one pretty simple rule that I've noticed that very few people are actually aware of. Center #1 gets tossed from the circle. What happens if center #2 from the same team gets tossed from that same faceoff? Yeah, I'm sure most here know of it, but man is it rare to see this ever happen.

1. You are correct. (EDIT: In fact, the clock is reset to the time of the first no-goal.)

2. 2 minutes for delay of game?

As Thomas Vanek is starting his around the world move on a penalty shot (if he still had some life left in him -- Lindy sucked it all out, but I digress), inkman throws a blue and gold sex toy at Ray Emery, who's tending goal for the Flyers. The puck is approaching Emery when Bucky (hey, it's HIS nickname for it, not mine!) hits Emery on the coconut. The puck slips through the old wickets and into the net. Goal or no goal?

Without looking....I know there was a game years ago...maybe it was Hartford where 2 players, on guy from each team stepped in to be linesmen because the linesmen couldn't make it in in a snowstorm.....so perhaps there is some prevision for a captain to ref a period.

That's amazing. You'd never think it would come to that.

See the text of the rule above, X.

1. You are correct. (EDIT: In fact, the clock is reset to the time of the first no-goal.)

2. 2 minutes for delay of game?

Delay of game faceoff violation. I've seen it twice. I can't say I've ever seen inkman hit Ray Emery in the head with a blue and gold sex toy though.

Delay of game faceoff violation. I've seen it twice. I can't say I've ever seen inkman hit Ray Emery in the head with a blue and gold sex toy though.

That rule is very fishy. Guys are thrown out all the time. It's hard to believe there are so few faceoff violations when an oftentimes inexperienced "center" steps in for the second faceoff. It's almost like the linesmen are protesting the rule by never calling it. Now watch -- it'll cost the Sabres a playoff series.

That rule is very fishy. Guys are thrown out all the time. It's hard to believe there are so few faceoff violations when an oftentimes inexperienced "center" steps in for the second faceoff. It's almost like the linesmen are protesting the rule by never calling it. Now watch -- it'll cost the Sabres a playoff series.

They'll typically drop it pretty fast once someone gets tossed. The thing that really gets me is how inconsistent they are throughout the game. Sometimes the feet have to be perfect, other times they'll let the centers move around a bit. I love watching center ice faceoffs. The center almost always has his feet parallel to the red line. For some reason they almost never bother enforcing the rules there.

Archived