Know your NHL rule book!

PASabreFan

I tell ya, there was a fascinating situation last night that could have raised a real sh*tstorm.

Early in the third, Tallinder and Hecht came down on a two on one break. Tallinder shot the puck (or was it a pass, hmmm?) across the top of the crease and it went through the goalie and a Star and off Hecht's skate (no distinct kicking motion).

After Hecht's deflection, a Star went skidding into the net and reached up and appeared to deliberately dislodge the net by pushing the left post. The puck slid to the goalie, who smothered it.

But what if that puck had instead gone over the goal line between the normal position of the posts?

(There was no penalty for dislodging the net.)

TaroT and I discussed this rule a few pages back.

IMHO the goal would have been good. As you mentioned, it "appeared" that the Star intentionally dislodged the net, but not blatently enough that he had earned a delay of game penalty. While I don't think the defender in the net had earned a 2 minute trip to the box, I also don't think it was accidental enough to warrant a "get out of being 2 goals down free" card either.

That stated, it seems that when a goal is dislodged accidentally or intentionally the ref typically waives off the goal giving the defender the benefit of the doubt.

So, SHOULD it have been a goal (had it actually entered the net, rather than having Turco stop it), yes. WOULD it have been a goal; let's put it this way, I wouldn't want to give DeLuca a chance to win some of his money back. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Against the Canadiens last night, Montador was on the ice and trapped inside the Hab zone with Hecht skating toward the Hab line. Montador crawled and touched the line with his gloves, but his skates were still in the zone when Hecht carried the puck completely over the line. The linesman waved it off. Good call?

Against the Canadiens last night, Montador was on the ice and trapped inside the Hab zone with Hecht skating toward the Hab line. Montador crawled and touched the line with his gloves, but his skates were still in the zone when Hecht carried the puck completely over the line. The linesman waved it off. Good call?

No, it's based on where your skates are relative to the blue line, not a body part. He was offsides, but maybe there's a hidden rule that says "if the offsides player is spralled on the ice, then any appendage in contact with the ice that is onsides will suffice."

I know the play you are referring to. As Montador flailed to get back to the line, he did get one of his skates back onto the good side of the line; I don't think the puck was still on the line by the time the skate was on the line but it might have been. If both skates were still in the zone, chalk it up to another blown offsides call.

No, it's based on where your skates are relative to the blue line, not a body part. He was offsides, but maybe there's a hidden rule that says "if the offsides player is spralled on the ice, then any appendage in contact with the ice that is onsides will suffice."

It wasn't really close. He was way offsides.

I like the proposed rule language though. To make it NHL rulebook authentic, it has to be a bit murkier. "if the offsides player is spralled toward the ice surface, then any appendage in contact with said that is onsides shall be deemed sufficient." ??

I am ashamed to ask this, but... This wasn't a delayed offside situation where you just have to tag up. Didn't Montador have to completely clear the zone?

Could Craig Rivet ref tomorrow night's game with the Oilers? While still on the Sabres roster?

No looking at the rule book.

I think the real question is, could ANY of the Sabres ref a game on Tuesday night, other than maybe Miller, and have any of us notice they were gone?

Sorry to hijack the thread, but after those Leafs and Habs games, my blood is on permanent "boil".

It wasn't really close. He was way offsides.

I like the proposed rule language though. To make it NHL rulebook authentic, it has to be a bit murkier. "if the offsides player is spralled toward the ice surface, then any appendage in contact with said that is onsides shall be deemed sufficient." ??

I am ashamed to ask this, but... This wasn't a delayed offside situation where you just have to tag up. Didn't Montador have to completely clear the zone?

As soon as either of his skates are in contact with the blue line he HAS completely cleared the zone.

I always get a kick out of youth hockey players trying to jump at the blue line to either stay on-sides or get on-sides, as the player would have been on-sides with a skate touching the blue line but he must be completely on his side of the blue line if neither skate is touching the blue line. In an effort to get on-sides, they are pretty much guaranteeing that they will be offsides.

Archived