Time to trade for a dependable backup

rickshaw

I just want to be clear - are we officially writing off our 21-year-old top goaltending prospect after one game?

He's got to get rid of the habit of pounding his stick into his glove. Over and over in that game he's beating his glove instead of getting in position for the shot.

I still like Lammy more.

He has botched the backup goalie situation. There's no doubt of that, but it's not the biggest problem.

I think its the fans' fault. The Sabres lose a game or two and SabreSpace lights up with "This team sucks", "I'm selling my tickets", "Go Leafs Go" (OK, let's not get crazy). Now, Lindy is is afraid that if he doesn't play Miller (which give the Sabres the best shot at winning), the fans are going to riot and run him out of town.

Makes sense to me. :)

I just want to be clear - are we officially writing off our 21-year-old top goaltending prospect after one game?

Anyone who makes a statement about the backup goaltending isn't really talking about Enroth. He is not an NHL backup right now. He needs to play on a nightly basis and there's only one place where he'll do that.

Anyone who makes a statement about the backup goaltending isn't really talking about Enroth. He is not an NHL backup right now. He needs to play on a nightly basis and there's only one place where he'll do that.

I didn't think he played that poorly anyway. After he gave up the first 2 in his FIRST NHL GAME EVER, he settled down and even stopped a breakaway. I would feel comfortable with him as the backup now. I have less confidence in the team playing in front of him whenever there is a backup in net.

He's got to get rid of the habit of pounding his stick into his glove. Over and over in that game he's beating his glove instead of getting in position for the shot.

I still like Lammy more.

Before faceoffs you mean? I'm pretty sure he's good enough at multitasking to beat his glove (looked more like little claps to me) AND get in position. Might as well criticize him for backing completely into the net for a second before faceoffs.

Goalies are whack jobs. Gotta live with it.

IMO not yet but to say that he lack seasoning would be an understatement.

He absolutely needs more time and development. He's played in all of 68 pro games in North America and is just 21.

Seems kind of funny, though, that people were calling for him to be in an open competition with Miller for the no.1 job last summer, before he had even set foot in the US.

I know the debate was about the backup position, and I think that saying Enroth is not a viable option right now because he needs to play regularly is sufficient. I think comments like:

thats why he is in the AHL he just isn't that good.

and

Enroth does suck though.

are overly simplistic, unless my sarcasm detector is on the fritz again.

Goalies are whack jobs. Gotta live with it.

Amen to that.

The bottom line is Lindy needs to play his backup, no matter who it is otherwise 2 things happen. Miller wears down and the backup gets stale.

Ideally they need someone who knows how the backup job workds. I think it's a lot mentality. Some goalies say they are fine with backing up but suck when the do. Others say they are fine with it and play well when they do. We haven't had the latter here for years.

Miller can't play 70 games like Luongo can. His body can't keep up with that schedule and we've seen what happens to Miller when he plays too much. He gets tired, lets in that back breaking goal that makes players go "ohhhhhhh nooooo" and they lose.

I don't know what the answer is, but I've seen it here in Vancouver. When Cloutier was the goalie and got injured for the year, Alex Auld played. He played very well for a very long time but the Canucks needed another goalie. In came Mika Noronen via trade. Noronen hadn't played since forever because Ruff mismanaged him too. So he comes to Vancouver, gets shelled by Columbus in his first game behind a very soft, half assed effort of a team that night and Marc Crawford gave up on him immediately.

What happened next was a team that was in the playoffs slowly found their way out, mainly IMO because Auld couldn't keep up his pace. He was a backup after all and he ended up playing way too much.

My point is Crawford should have used Noronen more and they would have made the dance, again IMO. But he gave up after one game and over-used Auld. It was ugly.

We need a backup who can win at least half the game he plays in. We need someone who can get us those ugly points. Otherwise, come the end of the year, we could be looking at another "just missed the playoffs" scenario.

The bottom line is Lindy needs to play his backup, no matter who it is otherwise 2 things happen. Miller wears down and the backup gets stale.

Ideally they need someone who knows how the backup job workds. I think it's a lot mentality. Some goalies say they are fine with backing up but suck when the do. Others say they are fine with it and play well when they do. We haven't had the latter here for years.

Miller can't play 70 games like Luongo can. His body can't keep up with that schedule and we've seen what happens to Miller when he plays too much. He gets tired, lets in that back breaking goal that makes players go "ohhhhhhh nooooo" and they lose.

I don't know what the answer is, but I've seen it here in Vancouver. When Cloutier was the goalie and got injured for the year, Alex Auld played. He played very well for a very long time but the Canucks needed another goalie. In came Mika Noronen via trade. Noronen hadn't played since forever because Ruff mismanaged him too. So he comes to Vancouver, gets shelled by Columbus in his first game behind a very soft, half assed effort of a team that night and Marc Crawford gave up on him immediately.

What happened next was a team that was in the playoffs slowly found their way out, mainly IMO because Auld couldn't keep up his pace. He was a backup after all and he ended up playing way too much.

My point is Crawford should have used Noronen more and they would have made the dance, again IMO. But he gave up after one game and over-used Auld. It was ugly.

We need a backup who can win at least half the game he plays in. We need someone who can get us those ugly points. Otherwise, come the end of the year, we could be looking at another "just missed the playoffs" scenario.

You seem to be making two different points here. Is it that they need a better backup or the backup actually needs to play? Really, all Lalime has to do to win half his starts is to win, what, 3 games?

You seem to be making two different points here. Is it that they need a better backup or the backup actually needs to play? Really, all Lalime has to do to win half his starts is to win, what, 3 games?

They need a guy who mentally is a backup goalie, not a wannabe starter, who can play 15 - 18 games and get you points in half of them.

Lalime isn't that guy.

They need a guy who mentally is a backup goalie, not a wannabe starter who can play 15 - 18 games and get you points in half of them.

Lalime isn't that guy.

So then you're saying that Lalime is a wannabe starter? He has to be well past that mindset at this point. He hasn't been a starter in 5 years so I think it's a safe bet that he knows exactly what he is and accepts it. Quite honestly, what you're trying to describe doesn't exist. They all want to play and they all want to be #1. I want no part of a guy who is happy riding the pine year round.

So then you're saying that Lalime is a wannabe starter? He has to be well past that mindset at this point. He hasn't been a starter in 5 years so I think it's a safe bet that he knows exactly what he is and accepts it. Quite honestly, what you're trying to describe doesn't exist. They all want to play and they all want to be #1. I want no part of a guy who is happy riding the pine year round.

You're right, nobody wants to ride the pine, but many are realistic about their playing time. It's better to be riding the pine in the NHL than not being in the NHL at all! There are goalies who are excellent at backing up and I don't think Lalime is in that category. I still think Lalime considers himself a starter, mentally. That's all.

I still think there is a keeper out there that can win half of his starts as a backup, but not Lalime.

Archived