Time to trade for a dependable backup

rickshaw

I think we all agree that we need a capable backup goalie. Miller cannot play all the games, he's not built for the full season like a Luongo is for example.

So aside from the bring back Marty Biron petition, who would you feel comfortable being the backup and who is out there???

Too bad we let Conklin go. And damn you Lindy for messing with Noronen.

I'm not comfortable with giving up anything for a different backup goalie? This fiasco falls on DR's shoulders and he should be FIRED if he has to trade for a new backup goalie when he had all offseason to pickup a FA goalie! He is also the guy who handed an over the hill veteran a two year deal! :angry:

Tellqvist...oh wait.

Crap.

Too bad Hasek is playing in a Czech league. For the amount of games he'd play here, he'd be perfect.

Kevin Weekes just retired but said he would consider coming back.

Manny Fernandez is still a FA and he's had solid numbers the last few years.

There are options.

I'm not comfortable with giving up anything for a different backup goalie? This fiasco falls on DR's shoulders and he should be FIRED if he has to trade for a new backup goalie when he had all offseason to pickup a FA goalie! He is also the guy who handed an over the hill veteran a two year deal! :angry:

If they really felt the need to bring someone in, I'm sure they could find an unsigned guy. Carolina just signed Manny Legace today. Some other goalies had to have been hit by the market crash that effected skaters like Afinogenov and Moore. I have no idea who is out there now, but I don't remember a guy like Manny Fernandez signing anywhere.

edit: Looks like d4rk beat me to it.

If they really felt the need to bring someone in, I'm sure they could find an unsigned guy. Carolina just signed Manny Legace today. Some other goalies had to have been hit by the market crash that effected skaters like Afinogenov and Moore. I have no idea who is out there now, but I don't remember a guy like Manny Fernandez signing anywhere.

edit: Looks like d4rk beat me to it.

I have no problem with them kicking Lalime to the curb and finding a FA still on the streets. I am just opposed to giving up a pick or a player after they knew they had a problem(Lalime was sub-par last year) at the end of the season and did nothing about it.

I have no problem with them kicking Lalime to the curb and finding a FA still on the streets. I am just opposed to giving up a pick or a player after they knew they had a problem(Lalime was sub-par last year) at the end of the season and did nothing about it.

What if they give away the rights to Kryukov in a deal? :D

There's one major flaw in your approach there. If Lalime is in fact a problem, it doesn't matter that they failed to fix it. They need to fix it. You'd much rather have them hold onto what they know to be a problem instead of admitting their past mistake? That sounds an awful lot like many of the complaints around here over the last two years.

What if they give away the rights to Kryukov in a deal? :D

There's one major flaw in your approach there. If Lalime is in fact a problem, it doesn't matter that they failed to fix it. They need to fix it. You'd much rather have them hold onto what they know to be a problem instead of admitting their past mistake? That sounds an awful lot like many of the complaints around here over the last two years.

Sort of how they "fixed" the D/B contract fiasco, by matching an outrageous offer to Vanek that could have been avoided if they had tried to get a deal done with Vanek previously?

I'm not even sure it matters as I have no faith in Lindy to utilize ANY backup goaltender, good or bad, correctly!

Sort of how they "fixed" the D/B contract fiasco, by matching an outrageous offer to Vanek that could have been avoided if they had tried to get a deal done with Vanek previously?

I'm not even sure it matters as I have no faith in Lindy to utilize ANY backup goaltender, good or bad, correctly!

Vanek was priority #1 that offseason, but that's another story. Anyway, you hit the nail on the head with that second comment. Lindy knows how to use a backup just about as well as the Bills know how to assemble an offense.

Vanek was priority #1 that offseason, but that's another story. Anyway, you hit the nail on the head with that second comment. Lindy knows how to use a backup just about as well as the Bills know how to assemble an offense.

So the excellence that was the Miller/Biron tandem was a fluke?

So the excellence that was the Miller/Biron tandem was a fluke?

You mean when Marty put up nearly identical numbers to what Lalime did last year, all while the Sabres were winning the President's Trophy? Kind of sheds a light on the idea that backup goaltending is the major issue with this team, doesn't it?

Clearly, Biron is an option, and once Dipietro comes back, Biron becomes a very realistic option. I think another darkhorse candidate to consider in terms of trade would be Johan Hedberg in Atlanta. Hedberg is a very reliable backup, and is the type of guy who can win games in the odd game he is called upon to play. The Sabres should know this as he has historically been a Sabres nemesis going back to his days with Pittsburgh. Hedberg becomes a viable option in another 6-8 weeks assuming Lehtonen is healthy enough to return from his back injury this season. If Lehtonen can come back from his injury, the Thrashers are left with 3 goalies, and frankly there is zero chance that they are sending Ondrej Pavelec to the minors because he's played extremely well for the Thrashers for the better part of the last two seasons. Pavelec is the future in Atlanta, and Lehtonen's cap number basically makes him untradeable, so Hedberg is a legitimate trade candidate.

You mean when Marty put up nearly identical numbers to what Lalime did last year, all while the Sabres were winning the President's Trophy? Kind of sheds a light on the idea that backup goaltending is the major issue with this team, doesn't it?

I think it does exactly the opposite.

If two goaltenders put up nearly identical numbers, then how is it goaltending that is the problem? Shouldn't we be blaming the team in front of the goalies instead of the goalies themselves?

Lalime went 5-13 in 24 games last year, with 3.10 GAA and .900 SV%.

Marty went 12-4 in 19 games for the Sabres in 06-07, with 3.04 GAA and .899 SV%.

Marty went 21-8 in 35 games in 05-06.

If the numbers are the same, then is Lalime really THAT bad?

Hell, since Marty left the Sabres his numbers have even gotten better. Arguably because he's been playing with teams better than the Sabres.

He's got 2.83 GAA and .915 SV% with the Islanders despite only having 1 win so far. Does Marty suck, or do the Islanders suck? I think that's pretty easy to figure out.

Nothing in the stats proves that backup goaltending is the problem for Buffalo. All it does is prove that since 06-07, they haven't been able to support their backups, despite their backups playing well enough to win games that Marty did during the playoff years.

Tellqvist...oh wait.

Crap.

Too bad Hasek is playing in a Czech league. For the amount of games he'd play here, he'd be perfect.

Kevin Weekes just retired but said he would consider coming back.

Manny Fernandez is still a FA and he's had solid numbers the last few years.

There are options.

Manny was just picked up by Carolina.

edit:

Whoops....wrong Manny....Manny Lagace.

I think it does exactly the opposite.

If two goaltenders put up nearly identical numbers, then how is it goaltending that is the problem? Shouldn't we be blaming the team in front of the goalies instead of the goalies themselves?

Lalime went 5-13 in 24 games last year, with 3.10 GAA and .900 SV%.

Marty went 12-4 in 19 games for the Sabres in 06-07, with 3.04 GAA and .899 SV%.

Marty went 21-8 in 35 games in 05-06.

If the numbers are the same, then is Lalime really THAT bad?

Hell, since Marty left the Sabres his numbers have even gotten better. Arguably because he's been playing with teams better than the Sabres.

He's got 2.83 GAA and .915 SV% with the Islanders despite only having 1 win so far. Does Marty suck, or do the Islanders suck? I think that's pretty easy to figure out.

Nothing in the stats proves that backup goaltending is the problem for Buffalo. All it does is prove that since 06-07, they haven't been able to support their backups, despite their backups playing well enough to win games that Marty did during the playoff years.

Excellent post.

d4rk, should I point out that I was saying exactly what you responded with?

Did I misinterpret what you said? In the first post in the chain you said that Lindy manages backups poorly, but in the next post are you saying that it isn't backup goaltending that is the problem? If so, then I am confused on what your opinion is here. I figured you were still arguing that backup goaltending is the problem.

Wow! How short our memories are. I remember when they first brought Miller up to play. He got whacked and there were reports that he was crying in the locker room. Enroth plays ONE GAME and he is the worst ever? C'mon, I give you guys more credit than that.

I think the one guy was dead on. Whoever we bring in is going to play 15 games a year. Regardless of who they bring in, no one can achieve playing in so few games. Of course the gamble is that Miller stays healthy. When he goes down, we're in trouble like last year.

Backups are backups for good reason. They dont win as many games as starters. Combine that with limited ice time, and you have an issue that no backup goalie can overcome. We need an all-star defenseman more than anything else. Someone who can lead and teach the others. IMO, Rivet is not that person.

I guess being so used to seeing Miller in net it was odd to see enroth in goal saturday night. Especially weraing #1. The kid needs a chance to play and thats why he is in the AHL he just isn't that good. The Sabres need a competent #2 that can play 15-20 gamnes and be relied on to win 10-14 of those games. Enroth is not the answer neither is Lalime. This is Darcy's fault as he knew going in that they would need a new #2. Who would have thought 2 years ago that a 2 year stint to an aging netminder would be such an issue.

Did I misinterpret what you said? In the first post in the chain you said that Lindy manages backups poorly, but in the next post are you saying that it isn't backup goaltending that is the problem? If so, then I am confused on what your opinion is here. I figured you were still arguing that backup goaltending is the problem.

He has botched the backup goalie situation. There's no doubt of that, but it's not the biggest problem.

Archived