Next 3 Games in HD starting @ NJ

elcrusho

Had the NJ crew for the first period (they're watching the game, so why not describe the game, while they're at it, rather than talk about random crap), but now RJ. In Buffalo and on MSGHD. MSG regular definition had this problem during the first, too.

Some nights that guy is orange.

I'm even getting Jersey commercials. For some reason, Springsteen apparently hasn't sold out MSG--for next weekend!--because the concert is advertised. I think he's sold out here for the 22d, though. If not, I'm surprised.

I hope to find out tomorrow why announcers/broadcasts are switching throughout the game.

Now it's Jeanneret again.

I'm even getting Jersey commercials. For some reason, Springsteen apparently hasn't sold out MSG--for next weekend!--because the concert is advertised. I think he's sold out here for the 22d, though. If not, I'm surprised.

I hope to find out tomorrow why announcers/broadcasts are switching throughout the game.

Now it's Jeanneret again.

I had to deal with Rico and Doc all game. They were actually really annoying. Hope MSG fixes this problem for the Isles game.

I had to deal with Rico and Doc all game. They were actually really annoying.

That pair have to be the worst hockey-commentating pair I've ever heard. They kept missing changes on ice, calling players who weren't even on. They even 'sent' Vanek to the box when Goose was sitting there, looking forlorn. I'm at least glad they had a couple of segments on Miller and Myers, but otherwise.. fail!

I know it gets boring for the home team if they're getting outplayed and beat, but there were points during the game I just hit the mute button and watched.. way too irritating. Also the lag between WGR and the tv is a pain in the ass, never in sync.

That pair have to be the worst hockey-commentating pair I've ever heard. They kept missing changes on ice, calling players who weren't even on. They even 'sent' Vanek to the box when Goose was sitting there, looking forlorn. I'm at least glad they had a couple of segments on Miller and Myers, but otherwise.. fail!

I know it gets boring for the home team if they're getting outplayed and beat, but there were points during the game I just hit the mute button and watched.. way too irritating. Also the lag between WGR and the tv is a pain in the ass, never in sync.

You must not watch many non-Buffalo broadcasts because that pair is miles ahead of a lot of what is out there. It was kind of funny listening to Emerick boot the names of guys wearing numbers in the high 20s though. Nothing tops confusing Mike Grier for someone else. That's about as bad as mixing up Myers and Gerbe.

You must not watch many non-Buffalo broadcasts because that pair is miles ahead of a lot of what is out there. It was kind of funny listening to Emerick boot the names of guys wearing numbers in the high 20s though. Nothing tops confusing Mike Grier for someone else. That's about as bad as mixing up Myers and Gerbe.

You're right Shrader, I don't watch too many 'home' feeds, especially in the Western conference. The B's are on NESN and I like their pair (Edwards & Brickley) quite a bit too. The Versus lot are tolerable too.

You're right Shrader, I don't watch too many 'home' feeds, especially in the Western conference. The B's are on NESN and I like their pair (Edwards & Brickley) quite a bit too. The Versus lot are tolerable too.

While we're still on that topic, I found a list of announcers by team - linky

Too shiny? I was reading an essay in Time magazine (no linktoris, sorry) whose premise was that high definition is too high -- too many details, too harsh, too revealing, too bright. Too shiny. The author talked about watching The View and seeing one of the hen's eye liner smudged. That's been my impression the few times I've gotten a glimpse of HD. I don't really want to see the saliva on Lindy's 'stache. At least this is my justification for not getting a new TV. In reality, the reason is that I'm half cheap, half broke and half curmudgeon.

Part of the issue is that in stores (and maybe when people get their new HDTV home and don't read the instructions) they have the picture set to the "vivid" or "demo" mode. In the store, it seems OK because the lighting is usually very bright. At home, the brightness and color in the "vivid" setting can make some material look garish and over-sharp.

To answer your question, Sabres games in SD look like absolute crap on my 47' LCD HDTV but look fine on my 13' tube television. I'm trying to decide whether it's the fact that my HDTV is so much larger that the picture is stretched and therefore crappy or my HDTV just sucks at SD. Overall, I have an issue with all SD broadcasts on my HDTV but the Sabres games are just the worst.

Why would you ever get a HDTV and no HD service? Doesn't really make sense. If you have Time Warner where you are in PA I would suggest it with the recent upgrades to the free HD channels. :thumbsup:

Not all HDTVs have great performance in displaying SD broadcasts. When shopping for a new TV, check the reviews to see if the model you are considering reproduces SD material well. Don't forget, your 47" LCD has a lot more square inches to fill than the 13"

I just moved from a 720p TV to a 1080p set and the difference is definitely noticeable. I will say that I waited for my old set to crap out before buying the new one. I guess it depends on how important a crystal-clear picture is to your TV viewing experience. Hockey in HD is pretty awesome, but even in SD, you still get to see the game.

You're officially dead to me. Jack Edwards is the biggest piece of crap out there.

Part of the issue is that in stores (and maybe when people get their new HDTV home and don't read the instructions) they have the picture set to the "vivid" or "demo" mode. In the store, it seems OK because the lighting is usually very bright. At home, the brightness and color in the "vivid" setting can make some material look garish and over-sharp.

Not all HDTVs have great performance in displaying SD broadcasts. When shopping for a new TV, check the reviews to see if the model you are considering reproduces SD material well. Don't forget, your 47" LCD has a lot more square inches to fill than the 13"

I just moved from a 720p TV to a 1080p set and the difference is definitely noticeable. I will say that I waited for my old set to crap out before buying the new one. I guess it depends on how important a crystal-clear picture is to your TV viewing experience. Hockey in HD is pretty awesome, but even in SD, you still get to see the game.

The reason I brought up my whole issue with SD is that I feel it really is TV specific. I can go to Coles and every TV handles the SD feed differently and therefore I figure it's my television. I was so pumped about the pricing of my television that I didn't do the research and I'm paying for it now.

OK, this is a huge problem for the NHL. They're banking on HD as way of building the fan base. But every game night there's all this confusion about the broadcasts. Check out this page of instructions from sabres.com on watching last night's game. http://sabres.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=503835 Holy #%^$#!! Only the diehards are going to jump through hoops like that. When I can painlessly turn on my TV and watch all the games in HD, I probably will spring for that new TV. See ya in two to three years, Bettman.

Archived