Next 3 Games in HD starting @ NJ

elcrusho

I was just sitting in my boring, brown cubicle having the same thought.

Hockey in HD is a beautiful thing...

It's so shiny. The american audience loves shiny things. I guess that means most people still don't have HD tvs or else the ratings would be through the roof.

It's so shiny. The american audience loves shiny things. I guess that means most people still don't have HD tvs or else the ratings would be through the roof.

One would think so.

I think the problem lies with America's choice to watch scripted garbage or baby mama drama reality shows over anything truly competitive.

Too shiny? I was reading an essay in Time magazine (no linktoris, sorry) whose premise was that high definition is too high -- too many details, too harsh, too revealing, too bright. Too shiny. The author talked about watching The View and seeing one of the hen's eye liner smudged. That's been my impression the few times I've gotten a glimpse of HD. I don't really want to see the saliva on Lindy's 'stache. At least this is my justification for not getting a new TV. In reality, the reason is that I'm half cheap, half broke and half curmudgeon.

Anyway, as I mentioned in another thread a while back, I have a 20-year-old tube TV that's still performing remarkably well. I have DirecTV. My question is whether I will see a difference in tonight's picture vs. non-HD. I know it sounds odd, but every time I watch Sunday Night Football, which I'm sure is broadcast in HD, the picture is unbelievable -- a lot better than what I'm used to.

In the same vein, let's say I get an HDTV but don't get high def service -- or get high def service but am watching shows in standard def. Is there any chance it will actually look worse than what I have now? This is my fear. Spending a lot of money and getting disappointed.

Too shiny? I was reading an essay in Time magazine (no linktoris, sorry) whose premise was that high definition is too high -- too many details, too harsh, too revealing, too bright. Too shiny. The author talked about watching The View and seeing one of the hen's eye liner smudged. That's been my impression the few times I've gotten a glimpse of HD. I don't really want to see the saliva on Lindy's 'stache. At least this is my justification for not getting a new TV. In reality, the reason is that I'm half cheap, half broke and half curmudgeon.

Anyway, as I mentioned in another thread a while back, I have a 20-year-old tube TV that's still performing remarkably well. I have DirecTV. My question is whether I will see a difference in tonight's picture vs. non-HD. I know it sounds odd, but every time I watch Sunday Night Football, which I'm sure is broadcast in HD, the picture is unbelievable -- a lot better than what I'm used to.

In the same vein, let's say I get an HDTV but don't get high def service -- or get high def service but am watching shows in standard def. Is there any chance it will actually look worse than what I have now? This is my fear. Spending a lot of money and getting disappointed.

If you dont get a HDTV then face it the terrorist are winning. Thats the philosophy I used on my wife. She didn't bite. So I broke the TV by snapping the attachment where the cable screws in to it so we'd have to get one. End result. I have HDTV and it is amazing. Except for Saabres games which isn't shown on HD out of the Buffalo broadcasting area.

To answer your question, Sabres games in SD look like absolute crap on my 47' LCD HDTV but look fine on my 13' tube television. I'm trying to decide whether it's the fact that my HDTV is so much larger that the picture is stretched and therefore crappy or my HDTV just sucks at SD. Overall, I have an issue with all SD broadcasts on my HDTV but the Sabres games are just the worst.

Why would you ever get a HDTV and no HD service? Doesn't really make sense. If you have Time Warner where you are in PA I would suggest it with the recent upgrades to the free HD channels. :thumbsup:

To answer your question, Sabres games in SD look like absolute crap on my 47' LCD HDTV but look fine on my 13' tube television. I'm trying to decide whether it's the fact that my HDTV is so much larger that the picture is stretched and therefore crappy or my HDTV just sucks at SD. Overall, I have an issue with all SD broadcasts on my HDTV but the Sabres games are just the worst.

Why would you ever get a HDTV and no HD service? Doesn't really make sense. If you have Time Warner where you are in PA I would suggest it with the recent upgrades to the free HD channels. :thumbsup:

Isn't most of television still not in HD?

This kind of confirms my fear.

Death to America.

HD has most to do with processor speed and lines of resolution (talked about this the other day in class).

HD is 1,080 lines at it's highest. If you don't have a TV that can "decode" or whatever all those lines then why bother having HD feeds.

OLD TV's, like old DVD's, only have like 480 lines of resolution. So, again, if you're watching a 480 line broadcast and your TV has to "reproduce" 3 times that, the pic will be "foggy".

Most HD broadcasts look better on non-HD TV's just because the cameras aren't 20 years old.

PA, anything has to be better than a 20" tube TV. You use the internet a lot, U can get 27" LCD's for $200.

Oh, BTW, with TWC, they don't charge any extra/month to trade in the old analog cable box and get an HD one.

HD has most to do with processor speed and lines of resolution (talked about this the other day in class).

HD is 1,080 lines at it's highest. If you don't have a TV that can "decode" or whatever all those lines then why bother having HD feeds.

OLD TV's, like old DVD's, only have like 480 lines of resolution. So, again, if you're watching a 480 line broadcast and your TV has to "reproduce" 3 times that, the pic will be "foggy".

Most HD broadcasts look better on non-HD TV's just because the cameras aren't 20 years old.

PA, anything has to be better than a 20" tube TV. You use the internet a lot, U can get 27" LCD's for $200.

Oh, BTW, with TWC, they don't charge any extra/month to trade in the old analog cable box and get an HD one.

Very unconvincing. But thanks for the info.

Isn't most of television still not in HD?

This kind of confirms my fear.

Death to America.

I would disagree and say that most television is now in HD or is broadcast on an HD ready channel. I rarely watch a channel that is not HD and don't miss much. Don't fight the future.

Hockey, like everything else, looks MUCH better in HD. MSG is continuing to screw out-of-market Sabres fans, so you'll only get about 30% or so of the Sabres' regular-season games in HD, but probably about 65% of the rest of the games on CI are in HD. Assuming DirecTV and VS end their dispute, just about all of the playoffs will be in HD.

As for non-HD telecasts, if you have an HD TV, you can set it up so that there are vertical blank columns on either side of the screen, which reduces the "stretchy" effect and makes the non-HD games acceptable.

Bottom line: I highly recommend HD, and I don't know anyone who has it that doesn't highly recommend it.

Archived