Les Nordiques

silvermike

i am so hoping that this happens. but with bettman in charge, i don't hold out too much hope.

isn't there a russian oil/mafia boss who would pay to have a team in the Q.C.? stern just let one of those clowns buy into the nba (the nets, i think (too lazy to get a link)).

WTF was the name of that guy that ran down the aisles into the glass, he wore zubaz and played a trumpet for the Nordiques...he was sort of their mascot in a way

He then did the same thing for the Buffalo roller hockey team in like 1995

anyone?

WTF was the name of that guy that ran down the aisles into the glass, he wore zubaz and played a trumpet for the Nordiques...he was sort of their mascot in a way

He then did the same thing for the Buffalo roller hockey team in like 1995

anyone?

Crazy Claude...

post-55-12554551439369_thumb.jpg

It was a bummer when the Nordiques left (and the Jets too for that matter). Their rivalry with the Habs was amazing. However, a return isn't happening. The numbers simply cannot work. Mirtle has a good post on this today here.

The numbers could work, don't forget that the exchange rate in those days was about 1.35 vs the US dollar - Canada has IMO, seen greater inflation since that time compared to the US, meaning they can charge a lot more for tickets, etc.

The problem they will face is the shear saturation of hockey in the market. From atoms on up to junior, major junior, etc. You can't swing a dead cat in that part of Canada without hitting an ice rink. They have so many options that Les Nordiques could very easily price themselves out of the market.

I would love to see a team wearing the fleur de lis again. Put a team in quebec, maybe it will shut the Hamiltonians up.

He was basically Steve Avery, wasn't he?

Correction - just looked at hockey DB. He was Avery with TALENT! Didn't recall that he had pretty decent skills as well.

Without looking at their relative stats, I'd just point out that Avery also has more hockey skills (and hockey IQ) than he's often credited with. He was the Rangers' best forward for long stretches of their playoff series last year. Torts blundered badly in benching him.

post-55-12554555818396_thumb.jpg

Speaking of the Nordiques...My hatred for him as a coach is unprecedented especially when Dale Hunter was on the Nordiques...

I hated the entire team intensely, including the coach. And especially Dale Hunter. The Sabres had a VERY big rivalry with these guys for a few seasons, even hotter than with the Senators. There were some pretty great games, though....

Do you remember him fighting a lot? In order to rack up that many PM, he must have dropped the gloves a lot, but I just don't remember him doing it that much.

My recollection is that he wasn't a fighter like, say, Peters, but more of a hitter/cheap-shotter who fought as needed, which was fairly frequently (kinda like a mix of Chris Neil, Sean Avery and Milan Lucic).

Archived