The league is so "tight" that... what?!

PASabreFan

He told the News:

"You look at all the games and all the scores so far, I think this league is so tight, it's so close, that you can get outshot badly and you can still win a game, goaltending can be big, special teams — there's a lot of different ways — but there's not much that separates one team from another now," Buffalo Sabres coach Lindy Ruff said.

Kind of scratching my head over that one. I hate to pick on John Vogl, but this guy's stuff reads like it's right out of Sabre Magazine.

He told the News:

"You look at all the games and all the scores so far, I think this league is so tight, it's so close, that you can get outshot badly and you can still win a game, goaltending can be big, special teams — there's a lot of different ways — but there's not much that separates one team from another now," Buffalo Sabres coach Lindy Ruff said.

Kind of scratching my head over that one. I hate to pick on John Vogl, but this guy's stuff reads like it's right out of Sabre Magazine.

They're Ruff's words, not Vogl's, after all; is there any wonder that it reads like it's right out of Sabre Magazine?

They're Ruff's words, not Vogl's, after all; is there any wonder that it reads like it's right out of Sabre Magazine?

But, but, but -- we lost! No playoffs last 2 years! Forget all the crap that's gone on that he's had to deal with, and all the playoff wins -- Lindy sucks! He hasn't stormed off and quit in a rage, so he must have sold out to the Man! He's part of the conspiracy!

But, but, but -- we lost! No playoffs last 2 years! Forget all the crap that's gone on that he's had to deal with, and all the playoff wins -- Lindy sucks! He hasn't stormed off and quit in a rage, so he must have sold out to the Man! He's part of the conspiracy!

A coach possibly running his course with a team doesn't mean he "sucks." It could simply mean it's time for a change. I'm not anti Lindy. I think he is a great coach and wouldn't be jobless for long if let go. That doesn't take away the concern that this team looked like pretty much the same team we watched for two years now. Something has to change to give this team a chance. It's clear the organization refuses to assess their own players honestly. If no changes are are gong to be made with the roster that only leaves coaching as a avenue of change. IMO, I would rather see about 10 players from the current roaster placed on waivers before firing Lindy Ruff. He's a great coach. When given something to work with he can take this team far. When you give him Status Quo plus Grier and Montador I wouldn't expect Lindy to be able to work miracles.

A coach possibly running his course with a team doesn't mean he "sucks." It could simply mean it's time for a change. I'm not anti Lindy. I think he is a great coach and wouldn't be jobless for long if let go. That doesn't take away the concern that this team looked like pretty much the same team we watched for two years now. Something has to change to give this team a chance. It's clear the organization refuses to assess their own players honestly. If no changes are are gong to be made with the roster that only leaves coaching as a avenue of change. IMO, I would rather see about 10 players from the current roaster placed on waivers before firing Lindy Ruff. He's a great coach. When given something to work with he can take this team far. When you give him Status Quo plus Grier and Montador I wouldn't expect Lindy to be able to work miracles.

It's a little early to give up on this season, innit?

FWIW, I saw a much tougher team on Sat. night than I saw the past 2 seasons. They need their scorers to create and convert chances, which didn't happen on Sat. night. Let's see what happens.

It's a little early to give up on this season, innit?

FWIW, I saw a much tougher team on Sat. night than I saw the past 2 seasons. They need their scorers to create and convert chances, which didn't happen on Sat. night. Let's see what happens.

No, you saw what you wanted to see. Insert that game into the schedule last February, and it doesn't jump out.

No, you saw what you wanted to see. Insert that game into the schedule last February, and it doesn't jump out.

Possibly. Certainly the failure to show up by Roy, Pommer and Vanek could have been plucked from last year. The power play is going to have to improve. But the defensive soundness, the scrums around Miller, Grier hitting, the 3rd line maintaining a forecheck -- I do think this all represented a marked improvement. I can't dispute though that this is what I wanted to see.

Let's observe the next month or so and see where we are.

Oh, and your momma wears army boots.

He told the News:

What exactly am I missing here? The guy quoted the head coach of the team. He's the beat writer, that is what he is supposed to do. If he is writing an op-ed piece, maybe he takes issue with it although I am not sure there is much there to take issue with.

What exactly am I missing here? The guy quoted the head coach of the team. He's the beat writer, that is what he is supposed to do. If he is writing an op-ed piece, maybe he takes issue with it although I am not sure there is much there to take issue with.

I'm not sure it's a big deal either, but it does resemble Jauron's "It's hard to win in the NFL" comment.

I was commenting on the piece in its entirety, and Vogl's work overall. He always reminds me of the high school kid who has to write a 500-word essay.

He told the News:

I highly disagree. True talent is what separates teams from one another now. True talent that WANTS TO WIN.

The Sabres seemed to be lacking in that in the first game. They looked exactly like the team from last year, except now we have a few more body bangers on the squad.

I don't think Ruff's style of hockey will be successful in Buffalo. I believe its time for a massive restructuring of the franchise, both in terms of personal and players.

Possibly. Certainly the failure to show up by Roy, Pommer and Vanek could have been plucked from last year. The power play is going to have to improve. But the defensive soundness, the scrums around Miller, Grier hitting, the 3rd line maintaining a forecheck -- I do think this all represented a marked improvement. I can't dispute though that this is what I wanted to see.

Let's observe the next month or so and see where we are.

Oh, and your momma wears army boots.

That sounds too much like the "it's only July 1st" BS we heard all summer. The improvements to the roster never came.

I don't think Ruff's style of hockey will be successful in Buffalo. I believe its time for a massive restructuring of the franchise, both in terms of personal and players.

Too many players under long term contracts, as we fans wanted, for the Sabres to be blown up. You need to build through the draft. A swift trade or two along with a key FA signing will help but it has to come from within. Guys like Kassian, Kennedy, Myers are the ones Sabres fans have to cling to with the hope they all blossom into a young core of good players.

I was commenting on the piece in its entirety, and Vogl's work overall. He always reminds me of the high school kid who has to write a 500-word essay.

Fine, and you may well be right, but give an example that isn't a quote from the head coach of the team!

Sheet, bro don't know no jive; bro don't GIVE no jive, mofo. For real.

That sounds too much like the "it's only July 1st" BS we heard all summer. The improvements to the roster never came.

...we played one game...

...both of their goals were...weird...

...we got a point in a game where our scorers...didn't...

...They will eventually score...I promise...

...I think I'll wait until at least game,... TWO to panic.

...we played one game...

...both of their goals were...weird...

...we got a point in a game where our scorers...didn't...

...They will eventually score...I promise...

...I think I'll wait until at least game,... TWO to panic.

"One Game" or game #165 with the same roster? I'm sure they'll score also. They will score a bunch against Phoenix and we'll be reading posts how they at the top of the league in scoring. Sound familiar?

Archived