Preseason Game One Discussion

darksabre

Just figured I'd post a thread so that those who were there could give us a review.

From listening tonight, it sounds like a lot of the same old problems going on. Can't get the puck out, collapsing after scoring a goal, not playing strong D in our own end. I'll be interested to hear what others have to say, despite the fact that it sounds like some of our younger guys are forechecking well.

edit: just as I post this, the Sabres score, and then cough it up in their own end and the Caps strike right back. Typical.

Just figured I'd post a thread so that those who were there could give us a review.

From listening tonight, it sounds like a lot of the same old problems going on. Can't get the puck out, collapsing after scoring a goal, not playing strong D in our own end. I'll be interested to hear what others have to say, despite the fact that it sounds like some of our younger guys are forechecking well.

edit: just as I post this, the Sabres score, and then cough it up in their own end and the Caps strike right back. Typical.

Good to see Lindy correcting that mistake since last year.

Yah, I was looking for a live blog or tweet from the game to get some opinions on what they "looked like" and found nothing. So, anyone who went to the game, don't wait when you get home - sit down and type, type, type!

Yah, I was looking for a live blog or tweet from the game to get some opinions on what they "looked like" and found nothing. So, anyone who went to the game, don't wait when you get home - sit down and type, type, type!

Sabres.com had a live blog for the game. It was pretty cool. Also, Sabres twitter was providing updates.

What i got from the game (listening online)

- Tyler Ennis looked good. The Sabres blogger mentioned during the live chat that he reminds me a lot of Danny Briere. Said he was very good and made a lot of good passes for Pommer and Vanek.

- Paul Hamilton said after the first period on WGR that he felt Sabres blew a bunch of good chances. Mentioned Vanek getting stoned by Varlamov and said Stafford tried to get fancy and pass instead of just shooting. Hamilton thought Sabres should have had a good lead after the first 20.

- Mike Knuble's goal would not have counted if it were regular season. RJ and Neale said lack of video was the reason why the goal stood. But both said it was kicked in for sure.

- Nate Gerbe made a nice play on Kennedy's goal. Got the puck and made a nice pass.

- According to Sabres blogger, Butler should have been awarded the goal, and not MacArthur. He said in his replay he saw, Clarke didn't touch it.

Not being there, so not truly knowing how they played, but scoreboard wise i am disappointed. Washington played a bunch of guys who will not make their team tonight. Only a handful guys will be there on opening night while Buffalo played a bunch of guys they are counting on. From the sounds of it, we controlled play and should have won, but ran into a "hot goalie"... havn't we heard that before? It's only pre-season but i wish we came out strong tonight and took it to them.

We're Buffalo, so probably.

Eh. If this were the season - probably, yes. But it's pre-season, so, I'm less inclined to think it's "serious". Hamilton was snooping around the dressing room afterward I believe - I think someone on the radio would have piped up had they figured something was going on.

I was at the game tonight.

Weber was the standout dman of the night; calm, cool and collective. He's NHL ready, and he has a mean side to him.

Tyler Myers played a strong game, other than getting the puck out of the zone and up to the forwards. He needs some work on that. However, I did like his play when he was without the puck; positioning, checking and play along the boards were all quite good.

The Vanek Ennis Pommers line was very dangerous. Vanek looked spectacular. He was creating scoring chances left and right. Ennis moved well and will be an NHL center one day, mark my words on that. Pommers looked to be a little quicker than last season.

The Vanek Ennis Pommers line was very dangerous. Vanek looked spectacular. He was creating scoring chances left and right. Ennis moved well and will be an NHL center one day, mark my words on that. Pommers looked to be a little quicker than last season.

I hope they keep Ennis in the line-up until the Toronto game. I want to see him playing in "a game" on that line. IIRC, he was saying in one of the recent Sabres interviews that he quite liked playing center - and of course that's what the Sabres need is a good center.

Did he take any face-offs?

Here's what Mike Harrington wrote about Myers and Ennis.

Tyler Myers: Played 21:01, including 4 1/2 minutes on the power play. His 24 shifts were second on the team to Andrej Sekera's 25. Makes up ground with his size and reach but has to watch his decisions. Bad decision to pinch cost Sabres 2-on-1 but Patrick Lalime made a save. "I thought he was OK," Lindy Ruff said. "Washington is a big club. Some of his decisions were a little bit slow but it's a little different speed than playing in juniors. Our defense as a whole tonight was young and they played young."

Tyler Ennis: Was more active than either Nathan Gerbe or Tim Kennedy and Ruff noticed. "He battled hard for a small man. He did what he has to do to be effective to play in this league. That type of effort was noticed."

Link to rest of review- http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/

Myers doesn't look ready at all, if he makes it, the sabres clearly have an agenda. Weber looked at home, he deserves it as of now.

I know there are more preseason games to go, along with a 9 game tryout to begin the season, but if Myers isn't ready to go and Weber is, then they should ship Myers back to the WHL...end of discussion. I don't want to hear any BS about how he has nothing left to prove at that level. I'd rather see him back down there instead of having a terrible first year in the NHL and have his confidence go down the drain.

It would be nice if they could have him play in the AHL if he isn't ready, but what are you going to do...rules are rules.

I know there are more preseason games to go, along with a 9 game tryout to begin the season, but if Myers isn't ready to go and Weber is, then they should ship Myers back to the WHL...end of discussion. I don't want to hear any BS about how he has nothing left to prove at that level. I'd rather see him back down there instead of having a terrible first year in the NHL and have his confidence go down the drain.

It would be nice if they could have him play in the AHL if he isn't ready, but what are you going to do...rules are rules.

On GR yesterday I heard hamilton saying that Weber very well be the odd man out. After listening to the game It sounded like he had a solid outting. I have always thought Weber was a decent player and should be given a chance. Based on one preseason game would you pencil him in as one of your six?

On GR yesterday I heard hamilton saying that Weber very well be the odd man out. After listening to the game It sounded like he had a solid outting. I have always thought Weber was a decent player and should be given a chance. Based on one preseason game would you pencil him in as one of your six?

I heard this too. Hamilton made it sound like there was no way weber would make the team unless Ennis and Myers played themselves out. I certainly hope they keep an open mind, because I hate when a team has a man crush on a guy even if someone else is playing better.

If he makes the blueliners a better group instead of Myers in that spot...Absolutely YES!

:thumbsup:

I heard this too. Hamilton made it sound like there was no way weber would make the team unless Ennis and Myers played themselves out. I certainly hope they keep an open mind, because I hate when a team has a man crush on a guy even if someone else is playing better.

QFT :beer:

Yeah, but Hamilton also said that the coaching staff seems poised to ship people out who are not performing up to expectations and put in those who are. And that's not contradictory; it just means that, like he said, Myers can play himself off the team. If Weber continues to be the better D man, based on what the Sabres are allegedly saying, then I fully expect them to keep him here instead of Myers.

Same goes for the Ennis, Kennedy, Gerbe fight.

Yeah, but Hamilton also said that the coaching staff seems poised to ship people out who are not performing up to expectations and put in those who are. And that's not contradictory; it just means that, like he said, Myers can play himself off the team. If Weber continues to be the better D man, based on what the Sabres are allegedly saying, then I fully expect them to keep him here instead of Myers.

Same goes for the Ennis, Kennedy, Gerbe fight.

Well that's encouraging but I'm going to be from missouri on this one and say I need to see it before I believe it since we have heard that kind of mantra before only to see it not consistently followed...

Archived