[OT] More Than Just a Game

SwampD

The whole incident with Leodis McKelvin really got me thinking. There was so much outrage at the people who committed such a horrible act, the act of spray painting his lawn, that I thought someone burned down a church or drove a car through a preschool. Through the whole thing, the phrase that kept coming up was, "it's just a game". "We need to keep some perspective, people, it's just a game." "Whoever did this needs to get a life, it's just a game."

But it's not.

I have a daughter with Autism and seizure disorder (epilepsy). She actually had a seizure an hour before the MNF game and I really could have used a win there. Every day is a struggle that I can't even believe I will make it through. But I wake up and do it all again the next day. What choice do I have. And it's not going to get any easier as she gets older.

About two years ago (right around the time that the reality of our daughter's condition was setting in) our house was flooded and I had to be rescued by boat from my front porch (that was actually quite fun). I didn't realize, though, how much it all affected me until much later.

One of the things that got me through it all was Sports. Finding Sabrespace and The Stadium Wall and being able to lose myself in hockey and football talk really kept my mind off of the things that, if I dwelled on them, would surely have sent me somewhere I might not have come back from easily. I've always watched the Bills and Sabres, but the games are only so long.

It is more than a game and it does mean something.

It's escape. Escape from the BS of real life. People need that. I need that.

My story, while unique, is probably not isolated (henysgol, my heart goes out to you and I hope you find the same solace in these threads that I did). For people on these sites, and in the media (people who, ironically, make a living off of sports), to say that, "it's just a game" is dismissive and disingenuous. Because sports allows us the break from real life, that without, I feel, would be unbearable.

I feel the same could be said about music and art. By not mattering at all, these things matter the most.

My story, while unique, is probably not isolated (henysgol, my heart goes out to you and I hope you find the same solace in these threads that I did).

I've been a bit of a lull as of late, but then I read stuff like his post and this one and I'm reminded that my problems are so minor. I wish I could've replied to his comments, but I had no idea what to say. But best of luck to both of you, and anyone else who might be dealing with something right now.

The escape from life's issues is a key point that so many people seem to miss. How many times have we read posts on here questioning how both teams keep selling so many tickets. People need their escape. We're all just kind of stupid to expect wins. We should know better at this point. ;)

I've been a bit of a lull as of late, but then I read stuff like his post and this one and I'm reminded that my problems are so minor. I wish I could've replied to his comments, but I had no idea what to say. But best of luck to both of you, and anyone else who might be dealing with something right now.

shrader, you summed up my thoughts perfectly.

Sorry to hear about your daughter Swampd. My heart goes out to you. I have a diabetic daughter and understand the pain that you feel knowing that you can't do anything to help her. Hopefully things improve for you and your family. You'll make it through because honestly there is nothing else that you can do. Be strong for her. Take solace in the fact that YOU are the most important person in the world to her. Love and enjoy everyday no matter how it may seem.

Nice post! Thanks for sharing your feelings and thoughts.

Now if we could just save BM's kid. ;)

I've come to look at the photo as a metaphor. The sweet, innocent child in blue and red and white, with golden hair, representing the eternal hope of the Buffalo fan. The car representing what has plowed into us in the past, and will again in the future, driven by Parents and Hulls and Aikmans. But in this present moment captured on film, we are champions.

Damn, that was good. :)

The whole incident with Leodis McKelvin really got me thinking. There was so much outrage at the people who committed such a horrible act, the act of spray painting his lawn, that I thought someone burned down a church or drove a car through a preschool. Through the whole thing, the phrase that kept coming up was, "it's just a game". "We need to keep some perspective, people, it's just a game." "Whoever did this needs to get a life, it's just a game."

But it's not.

I have a daughter with Autism and seizure disorder (epilepsy). She actually had a seizure an hour before the MNF game and I really could have used a win there. Every day is a struggle that I can't even believe I will make it through. But I wake up and do it all again the next day. What choice do I have. And it's not going to get any easier as she gets older.

About two years ago (right around the time that the reality of our daughter's condition was setting in) our house was flooded and I had to be rescued by boat from my front porch (that was actually quite fun). I didn't realize, though, how much it all affected me until much later.

One of the things that got me through it all was Sports. Finding Sabrespace and The Stadium Wall and being able to lose myself in hockey and football talk really kept my mind off of the things that, if I dwelled on them, would surely have sent me somewhere I might not have come back from easily. I've always watched the Bills and Sabres, but the games are only so long.

It is more than a game and it does mean something.

It's escape. Escape from the BS of real life. People need that. I need that.

My story, while unique, is probably not isolated (henysgol, my heart goes out to you and I hope you find the same solace in these threads that I did). For people on these sites, and in the media (people who, ironically, make a living off of sports), to say that, "it's just a game" is dismissive and disingenuous. Because sports allows us the break from real life, that without, I feel, would be unbearable.

I feel the same could be said about music and art. By not mattering at all, these things matter the most.

I hear you, I have a son who has a brain malformation, though mild, that affects his motor control. He is almost three and he has seizures as well. We are changing med and paying out of pocket for a special neurologist because our insurance doesn't cover. Still I feel for you and know how the escape of sports is good for my sole. I play hockey once a week too though my wife would have me give it up, I can't for the reasons you mention and many more. Keep your head up and do what you have to to keep your heart open... All my best.

Wow! The OP sure is a wet blanket. Who brought him to the party. Thanks for all the well wishes and giving me a place to vent. I'm usually pretty up but I guess I needed to get that out. Either that or I was a little closer to the bottom of the bottle than I thought.

I hear you, I have a son who has a brain malformation, though mild, that affects his motor control. He is almost three and he has seizures as well. We are changing med and paying out of pocket for a special neurologist because our insurance doesn't cover. Still I feel for you and know how the escape of sports is good for my sole. I play hockey once a week too though my wife would have me give it up, I can't for the reasons you mention and many more. Keep your head up and do what you have to to keep your heart open... All my best.

Good luck. Changing meds is no picnic (probably the reason for Monday's seizure). PM me if you want. My daughter is five so you're probably coming up on stuff that we've already gone through.

Ah, it's finally pre-season.

Archived