Regier methodically building a winner

wildcat48

Was anyone else thrown off by this sentence?

"One player the Sabres have high expectations for is Tyler Ennis, Sabres’ first round pick in 2008, after he’s done nothing, but impressed Sabres’ General Manager Darcy Regier to date."

Maybe it was the draft copy of the blog? :blink:

"One player the Sabres have high expectations for is Tyler Ennis, Sabres’ first round pick in 2008, after he’s done nothing, but impressed Sabres’ General Manager Darcy Regier to date."

I can only assume that the comma after nothing is a typo, though it doesn't explain why he would say impressed instead of impress.

After all he definitely hasn't done nothing, he's won gold in the World Juniors, I'd say that's something.

I read it twice too. If it is true as written, it could explain a lot of the funk the Sabres are currently in.

Who cares if he's building a winner in Portland.

i have to disagree with you there. even though the ultimate goal is to lift the Stanley Cup, i'd like to see a strong team in Portland where kids are coming through the system and being ready to compete immediately at the NHL level.

Considering that Buffalo uses it's farm team a lot to develop player, it should matter a lot. The better the team in Portland, the better the Sabres should be in a number of years. The year during the lockout, the Amerks were the best team in the AHL when all AHL teams had young studs. Amerks had Stafford, Vanek, Miller, Roy, Pommer.... if it wasn't for the injury to Vanek and Pommer in the playoffs, they would have won the Calder Cup. When they joined some vets in Buffalo, despite everyone doubting the Sabres, we did pretty good i'd say. The better the Pirates do, the better the Sabres will do in the future.

Where do you think the majority of our current Sabres came from?

You don't think victories matter?

There's no building?

I've seen the building, its there.

It's a pretty building.

It's a winner of a building?

Who cares? Who cares?

Portland cares, kids care, the city cares?

Why wouldn't they care about winning?

Huh, just thought I'd try your small sentence with many ? marks.

Yup, still annoying.

Considering that Buffalo uses it's farm team a lot to develop player, it should matter a lot. The better the team in Portland, the better the Sabres should be in a number of years. The year during the lockout, the Amerks were the best team in the AHL when all AHL teams had young studs. Amerks had Stafford, Vanek, Miller, Roy, Pommer.... if it wasn't for the injury to Vanek and Pommer in the playoffs, they would have won the Calder Cup. When they joined some vets in Buffalo, despite everyone doubting the Sabres, we did pretty good i'd say. The better the Pirates do, the better the Sabres will do in the future.

I wonder how a successful Calder Cup run might have effected the careers of those guys. It couldn't have hurt.

Oh, and I might as well point out that Stafford wasn't a part of that team. He was still at Nodak at that point.

Not when he's doing it by signing a bunch of NHL dropouts.

Not when he's doing it by signing a bunch of NHL dropouts.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

That's what's called filling out the roster with depth players in case the Sabres have a rash of injuries. These "NHL dropouts" also are there to help the youngsters progress and to be a steadying influence on the team. You are never going to have a full roster in Portland of up and coming Sabre first or second liners. Sheeesh.

Archived