Andrew Peters

Buffalo Fan

whoever we get to fill AP's role in the team (McCormick?) needs to do much much more - no longer can we afford the luxury of a roster player on ice for 3-5 minutes a game.

he had some good fights over the years, but nothing exceptional.

i've met him a couple of times after games, and he's a d*ck. one was a season-ending game two years ago in Boston, where understandably everyone was disappointed because we missed the playoffs, but every single player on the roster stopped by when coming out of the dressing room, and even though they were dejected, signed autographs and took pictures with fans. Peters? he comes out, pushes a security guy out of the way, climbs over the barrier into the fan area and goes right to the back to shoot the sh*t with a couple of his friends, blankly ignoring anyone who asked for a pic/auto and glaring at anyone who even looked him in the eye.

i'm sure he had his issues, everyone's got an off day, but hey, when you're in a business where your salary comes out of the fan's pockets, you have to earn it, and frankly, he didn't. over the last five years i might have seen maybe one-two Peters jerseys - i've seen more Paetsch jerseys in the crowd!

fare thee well AP, thanks for everything.

So the guy is an A-hole because he didn't come talk to a 28 year old and mingle with a crowd of strangers in an opposing city because he went to talk to a group of friends that live out of town and he only has a few minutes to do so because he has a mandatory team flight to catch?

That's funny. Any time I've seen him in public he has always been nice....right down to showing up at 10AM on a Sunday with an armful of Sabres shirts and signing them for all the kids at a charity event. It was his own doing and wasn't Sabres sanctioned.

He may not be Messier on the ice, but he is one of a handfull of players over the past decade that actually earned his salary.

He may not be Messier on the ice, but he is one of a handfull of players over the past decade that actually earned his salary.

It always seems to be the enforcer that ends up having that great public image. It seems like they're some of the select few who realize just how lucky they are to be where they are. Sure, there are lots of guys around all pro sports who are like this, but it just seems like more of the enforcers wind up being the most active in the public.

It always seems to be the enforcer that ends up having that great public image. It seems like they're some of the select few who realize just how lucky they are to be where they are. Sure, there are lots of guys around all pro sports who are like this, but it just seems like more of the enforcers wind up being the most active in the public.

It is a neat phenomenon.

I think what it may be is that this type of player is a stand-up guy. Those who understand hockey know these guys have a job to protect the skill players and make sure nobody takes any cheap shots. It isn't "fun" to fight.....it just keeps everybody honest.

That personality carries off the ice I guess. Going to a hospital and seeing sick people really isn't "fun". Charity and giving time and money isn't always "fun". It's a dirty world with sickness and poverty, and these guys just step up and face it eye to eye. At the end of the day, everyone just wants to get by.

Offensive linemen in football seem to be the same way. Most of them I have talked to have a self-depricating sense of humor. I remember being a kid and asking Tim Vogler for his autograph. He was so flattered I knew who he was that he said he should buy me a bicycle.

It is a neat phenomenon.

I think what it may be is that this type of player is a stand-up guy. Those who understand hockey know these guys have a job to protect the skill players and make sure nobody takes any cheap shots. It isn't "fun" to fight.....it just keeps everybody honest.

That personality carries off the ice I guess. Going to a hospital and seeing sick people really isn't "fun". Charity and giving time and money isn't always "fun". It's a dirty world with sickness and poverty, and these guys just step up and face it eye to eye. At the end of the day, everyone just wants to get by.

Offensive linemen in football seem to be the same way. Most of them I have talked to have a self-depricating sense of humor. I remember being a kid and asking Tim Vogler for his autograph. He was so flattered I knew who he was that he said he should buy me a bicycle.

A good player on some very bad teams.

There is no doubt he "knows." However, if he was told, he would have said so. All these players have exit interviews and Buffalo could easily have told him at that time that they were going in another direction. They didn't and that is not surprising.

Quinn hasn't completed his top down review yet.

oh c'mon all of you cry babies!!

Peters took up a valuable roster spot under the dubious title (for him) of enforcer.

He was never an enforcer, and his constant roundhouses as his only style of "fighting" was ridiculous. He was boring, and his skirmishes brought no energy to his club as fights often do.

He was held onto for too long and I look forward to the days of McCormick and crew.

"Peters was a good guy...", "I heard he was great in the locker room", "I heard he once wept after seeing Beaches". What a bunch of pansies!

He was a waste of space on the ice and his salary should be repaid.

I know a couple people who met him and knew someone thats talked to him a few times, and everything I have heard has been good, unlike another "local" boy, Paille, who I have been told is a bit of a d*ck in public and full of himself.

As for Peters taking up a valuable roster space, What space? Most night he was a reserve in the Pressbox. Is there a better guy to fetch snacks and drinks out there in FA right now? Would it be better to have a developing minor leaguer sitting in the Press Box to replace him instead of playing daily in the minors? I don't get why people always raged on the guy. He did what he was asked to do, never complained, made basically the veteran minimum to sit in the press box and get into fights when needed. I guess every team needs a 20 goal scorer to sit in the pressbox most nights

I certainly have had my issues with the front office, but where does this acrimony stem from? Peca? Hasek? Nolan? Lafontaine?

I actually understood how they handled all those cases in the end but their ineptitude prior to the culmination of the Peca and Hasek affairs is legendary stuff. However, I could write a thesis on the small things this front office has done with regard to employee relations that has led to this being a less then desirable landing spot for free agents.

On top of that, I will never forgive them for blowing up the '05 through '07 teams without a plan in place to rebuild. At least not until they rebuild to that level again.

I actually understood how they handled all those cases in the end but their ineptitude prior to the culmination of the Peca and Hasek affairs is legendary stuff. However, I could write a thesis on the small things this front office has done with regard to employee relations that has led to this being a less then desirable landing spot for free agents.

On top of that, I will never forgive them for blowing up the '05 through '07 teams without a plan in place to rebuild. At least not until they rebuild to that level again.

Read my large font signature.

That may have been the greatest contribution he made to the team.

Personally I think that it was the 'Odd Jobs' video that was his greatest contribution to the club.

And paying the guy $1 million per season or whatever he was making IS a waste of valuable roster space...whether he sat in the press box 90% of the time or not.

So now with the classy Numminen gone, the sizzle-but-no-steak Afinogenov gone, and that overpaid bozo Peters finally gone...how much money does that save the club?

And paying the guy $1 million per season or whatever he was making IS a waste of valuable roster space...whether he sat in the press box 90% of the time or not.

You just essentially doubled the money Peters was earning ($525 K). That contract was not an issue for the team at all.

So the guy is an A-hole because he didn't come talk to a 28 year old and mingle with a crowd of strangers in an opposing city because he went to talk to a group of friends that live out of town and he only has a few minutes to do so because he has a mandatory team flight to catch?

That's funny. Any time I've seen him in public he has always been nice....right down to showing up at 10AM on a Sunday with an armful of Sabres shirts and signing them for all the kids at a charity event. It was his own doing and wasn't Sabres sanctioned.

i don't really give a hoot if he talked to me or not, but there was this kid next to me who had built a collage of every Sabres player on the roster, and had autographs from each of the players except Peters, and she was waving at him trying to catch his attention, i felt bad for her.

are you surprised that Peters jerseys never really caught on :rolleyes:

i don't really give a hoot if he talked to me or not, but there was this kid next to me who had built a collage of every Sabres player on the roster, and had autographs from each of the players except Peters, and she was waving at him trying to catch his attention, i felt bad for her.

are you surprised that Peters jerseys never really caught on :rolleyes:

Have you BEEN to a Sabres game? There are more Peters jerseys there than there ever should be.

Well, I thought that the 'or something' part of it may have explained it.

When you're putting a number out there that's so far off, it needs to be called out. The point is, his salary was basically the equivalent of you or me making minimum wage. On a roster of 23, it means absolutely nothing. Someone was going to be filling that role, and more than likely, they would have been making more money than him.

When you're putting a number out there that's so far off, it needs to be called out. The point is, his salary was basically the equivalent of you or me making minimum wage. On a roster of 23, it means absolutely nothing. Someone was going to be filling that role, and more than likely, they would have been making more money than him.

regardless of the squabbles over pennies (in a professional sense), he was useless baggage on this ice and his sole function for him being on the team- that of a club 'enforcer'- was useless as his "style" of fighting was ridiculous, and he never had a fight that energized the team to a higher level as players in that role are often paid to do.

Peters, Spacek, Afinogenov, and Numminen. Add those 4 salaries together, and what are the Sabres now saving per season?

Peters, Spacek, Afinogenov, and Numminen. Add those 4 salaries together, and what are the Sabres now saving per season?

It's really not the best question since extensions for Pominville and Miller (and Connolly) that weren't in effect last year now are. But anyway, it's ~$8.29 million in cap space for those 4. $6.66 million of that was from Spacek and Afinogenov alone, so really, Peters and Teppo really don't amount to all that much.

Personally I think that it was the 'Odd Jobs' video that was his greatest contribution to the club.

So now with the classy Numminen gone, the sizzle-but-no-steak Afinogenov gone, and that overpaid bozo Peters finally gone...how much money does that save the club?

So you would have rather had the Sabres pay more then the veteran minimum for a player to sit in the press box 90% of the time?? With a cap/budget, that allows them to spend more money in other places

Its amazing how much hatred fans have for a guy who really did nothing wrong but not live up to their high expectations of what they expect from a player

So you would have rather had the Sabres pay more then the veteran minimum for a player to sit in the press box 90% of the time?? With a cap/budget, that allows them to spend more money in other places

Its amazing how much hatred fans have for a guy who really did nothing wrong but not live up to their high expectations of what they expect from a player

For some, current players will never match up with legends and fan faves from the past. Some fans expect every goalie that mans the crease to be as good as Hasek; they expect every center to be as good as Bert or LaLa; or every enforcer to be as good a fighter and as tough as Rayzor. If they don't meet those lofty expectations they get branded as bums or busts or no good.

Huh?

To answer your question, I don't think anyone should be paid to sit in the press box. IF they are not good enough to get on the ice, they probably are not good enough to be on the team.

On your second point...it really does not make any sense.

Whether Peters "did nothing wrong (double negative- perhaps he really did do something wrong?)" or if he volunteers his spare time to sew quilts for the elderly has got nothing to do with his ability (or lack thereof) on the ice for which he is being paid.

Why should the Sabres continue to invest (whether it be $500,000 or $50 million) in a player who can't skate, doesn't hit despite his size, can't score, and can't pass. And the one role he has on the team, the ONE ROLE- that of enforcer- he can't even perform that to a respectable degree.

Go back and look at the YouTube videos of Rob Ray, Brad May, and T. Domi. There is absolutely no comparison. Peters is a big, goofy, teddy bear on skates compared to the ferocity of those guys. When Ray got into a fight, it sparked the team into higher realms of achievement (as it should). Same thing with May, or Boughner, etc. The team fed off of that energy.

But in all of my time watching the Sabres, there has never been a Peters "fight" that lifted the team IMHO.

And if he can't even fight as he was being paid to do, THAT is why he should not be on the team.

If I'm wrong for having such "lofty" ideals as having players on a team THAT CAN ACTUALLY play, well...then I guess I'm asking for too much.

Sheesh...

For some, current players will never match up with legends and fan faves from the past. Some fans expect every goalie that mans the crease to be as good as Hasek; they expect every center to be as good as Bert or LaLa; or every enforcer to be as good a fighter and as tough as Rayzor. If they don't meet those lofty expectations they get branded as bums or busts or no good.

or they just may not be good enough, period...

Archived