virtually no one is watch the Pitt Caps series

Spudz

Why No One Is Seeing the NHL's Great Game

The Crosby-Ovechkin dream duel clocked in behind both a Batman episode on the Cartoon Network (1.5 million viewers), and a "Reba" rerun on Lifetime (930,000).

The series is drawing a smaller audience than last year's College Baseball World Series, on ESPN, when it averaged 1.4 million viewers.

Hockey has a serious problem on its hands. The league of course doesn't even acknowledge this as a problem. I think I lost sight of how unpopular hockey was because I live in central NY and it seems to have more of a presence here. I find it amazing that only 647,000 viewers tuned into Game 4.

I've learned from my job that you can have a great product but if you can't market it, it will fail.

Was everyone else watching the Boston game the same night? What are the numbers combined?

One of the major problems is the fact that no one is watching Vs. Sure, the numbers would still be low if they were on ESPN, but they'd still be noticeably higher.

Why No One Is Seeing the NHL's Great Game

Hockey has a serious problem on its hands. The league of course doesn't even acknowledge this as a problem. I think I lost sight of how unpopular hockey was because I live in central NY and it seems to have more of a presence here. I find it amazing that only 647,000 viewers tuned into Game 4.

I've learned from my job that you can have a great product but if you can't market it, it will fail.

The numbers are not as bad as the author made them sound. He didn't include "local" numbers from Pittsburgh or Washington areas.

The numbers are not as bad as the author made them sound. He didn't include "local" numbers from Pittsburgh or Washington areas.

I was just gonna mention that.

Frank Deford, the great sportswriter, once nailed the situation by comparing the NHL to RC Cola. Tastes good and a lot of people like it, but it will never be Coke or Pepsi.

The NHL really doesn't care about the local numbers, especially in a non-existant market like Pittsburgh. Those people are always going to be watching their own games anyway. What really does matter is that around the country not all that many people are watching, which is a huge problem when the league's two most marketable players are involved.

And like I said earlier, these games would get a decent boost if they were on a real network. They've been talking about it very positively on PTI lately. That alone would get more people to tune in if it was actually on that network.

The NHL really doesn't care about the local numbers, especially in a non-existant market like Pittsburgh. Those people are always going to be watching their own games anyway. What really does matter is that around the country not all that many people are watching, which is a huge problem when the league's two most marketable players are involved.

And like I said earlier, these games would get a decent boost if they were on a real network. They've been talking about it very positively on PTI lately. That alone would get more people to tune in if it was actually on that network.

People can't find Versus on their TV?

Has it made it onto every cable service yet? The main problem is that people are far more likely to tune to a station when there is something else on that channel that they actually watch. What else are people watching on that channel?

Has it made it onto every cable service yet? The main problem is that people are far more likely to tune to a station when there is something else on that channel that they actually watch. What else are people watching on that channel?

You mean 24 hour coverage of the tour de France isn't popular here in the states? :nana:

Versus is definitely part of the problem, although I think their playoff coverage has improved somewhat over last season - mainly in the announcers-calling-the-game department. The only analyst still needs to consult with a hair-stylist because he looks like a joke and no sports person unfamiliar with the NHL would take anything he says seriously.

I think anyone falling for the Crosby-as-the-face-of-the-NHL hook would get sickened pretty quickly by how that dude is protected by the refs. While the Caps have barely shown up for this series, I think the calls have been way lop-sided in favor of the Penguins.

As far as marketing goes, whomever is making the marketing plans apparently doesn't understand marketing sports in the USA. The NHL is all over product in Canada, and does some sponsoring and such, but has little to no presence in that regard in the USA. They need to make a buy during a few Monday Night Football broadcasts and run the new-dad-is-a-NHL-fan ad Versus runs once in a while.

Are those numbers for the US, or for all of North America?

Good question i assumed neilsen was a us and canadian stat. It would be interesting to see canadian stats on it. Regardless it is still a small rating even if it only includes the US.

Versus is definitely part of the problem, although I think their playoff coverage has improved somewhat over last season - mainly in the announcers-calling-the-game department. The only analyst still needs to consult with a hair-stylist because he looks like a joke and no sports person unfamiliar with the NHL would take anything he says seriously.

I think anyone falling for the Crosby-as-the-face-of-the-NHL hook would get sickened pretty quickly by how that dude is protected by the refs. While the Caps have barely shown up for this series, I think the calls have been way lop-sided in favor of the Penguins.

As far as marketing goes, whomever is making the marketing plans apparently doesn't understand marketing sports in the USA. The NHL is all over product in Canada, and does some sponsoring and such, but has little to no presence in that regard in the USA. They need to make a buy during a few Monday Night Football broadcasts and run the new-dad-is-a-NHL-fan ad Versus runs once in a while.

It's 2009 and we're still talking about how to make people watch hockey? By and large, American sports fans don't like the game. It's not because the games are on SportsChannel America or Versus.

See above.

The biggest problem probably is not solvable: the game looks terrible on TV, even in HD.

See above.

The biggest problem probably is not solvable: the game looks terrible on TV, even in HD.

No way. I love televised hockey as much as I love it live. But, as above, unless you're (1) a serious hockey fan or (2) into extreme moto-snowkick-boardsailing, you've probably never heard of VS.

Good question i assumed neilsen was a us and canadian stat. It would be interesting to see canadian stats on it. Regardless it is still a small rating even if it only includes the US.

Just a guess, and I really mean that, but the guess is that the NHL makes a lot money off of TSN and CBC than it does off of VS and NBC.

What is this V-S U speak of?

You mean 24 hour coverage of the tour de France isn't popular here in the states? :nana:

Those tight shorts? Can't go wrong. Well, unless you're missing testicles (my g-f made me write that).

It's 2009 and we're still talking about how to make people watch hockey? By and large, American sports fans don't like the game. It's not because the games are on SportsChannel America or Versus.

I don't think I'd ever want you on any team of mine with that kind of attitude.

You NEVER say NEVER.

Talk to Progressive insurance about the value of the right pitch and marketing campaign. Without Flo, they were just another cheapo insurance company.

The problem with the NHL Admin is that it's an old boys network with all of the wrong thinking.

Who the hell thought Crosby should be the golden boy for the NHL? He's WAY too fem, he makes the sport look, to Americans, "European". Even though we have Obama in the Whitehouse, our culture still has its roots in cowboyism, rough and tough, heart and soul. They need to promote the savages, like Ovechkin, who gets far more response from the ladies I know than Crosby ever would.

Then they need to plaster the NHL logo all over American beers - no, not crap American big time beer, but GOOD American micro brews which are all the rage right now (with reason, too). Billboards - one in every city that just promotes the game, right in the middle of summer. No teams in particular, even in team markets, just the NHL and the game of hockey.

They need to get the NHL into some major movies - like product placement. It doesn't have to BE the movie, just the right usage, in the right vein (in other words, not where hockey is the punchline to a joke). They need to create and distribute some viral video. They need to brand-infiltrate non-hockey forums.

The NHL has been too slow on the uptake and are behind in their understanding of how to market, and where to market. You don't put a team in Arizona! God, that's so stupid. For now, at least.

Anyway, you never give up despite the setbacks. Tsk tsk for you.

The whole "I can't find Vs. on TV" is getting tired..... how hard is it to do a search for sports, then narrow it down to hockey, and watch the listing pull up the channel for you?? Let's be real, if someone actually WANTS to watch a hockey game, it's not that hard to find the damn channel.

You're either interested, or you're not. The problem lies in the NHL's inability to DRAW interest. They do a horrible job at marketing the sport, and other sports channels (ESPN) do a horrible job at covering the sport.

The other idea of "if your city doesn't have a team....." concept is kinda ridiculous as well. I can name several states that don't have an NFL team, but they don't seem to be hurting in regards to fans tuning in.

If the NHL is that worried about it's lack of fan base, they should try and do something about it. I've yet to see any evidence they've made any real attempt at drawing in new fans, and please don't give me the shootout as an example.... that would actually be a great example of the NHL Failing to market properly... <_<

The whole "I can't find Vs. on TV" is getting tired..... how hard is it to do a search for sports, then narrow it down to hockey, and watch the listing pull up the channel for you?? Let's be real, if someone actually WANTS to watch a hockey game, it's not that hard to find the damn channel.

You're either interested, or you're not. The problem lies in the NHL's inability to DRAW interest. They do a horrible job at marketing the sport, and other sports channels (ESPN) do a horrible job at covering the sport.

The other idea of "if your city doesn't have a team....." concept is kinda ridiculous as well. I can name several states that don't have an NFL team, but they don't seem to be hurting in regards to fans tuning in.

If the NHL is that worried about it's lack of fan base, they should try and do something about it. I've yet to see any evidence they've made any real attempt at drawing in new fans, and please don't give me the shootout as an example.... that would actually be a great example of the NHL Failing to market properly... <_<

I've spent my fair share of time in NYC, and still deal with many people from there on a day to day basis. Hockey is not really even mentioned by these guys, and everyone of them is a sports fan. I've tried get them into the sport (it's a grassroots effort) and there's things that do appeal to the fringe fan. I had a discussion today with one of my friends down there today asking about the Caps/Pens game and he really seemed interested but had NO idea there was a channel named Versus. Being on a 2nd tier network is a hinderance to the sport.

Talk to Progressive insurance about the value of the right pitch and marketing campaign. Without Flo, they were just another cheapo insurance company.

Does anyone else hate Flo with an undying passion? Couldn't wait 15 minutes to complain about that b!tch.

The best marketing campaign any professional league could have right now is that they are a steroid-free league. Too bad no league could even dream of getting away with that one though.

I kinda wanna f*ck her brains out.

hahahahaha My wife works for progressive. At their annual meetings someone stated how they didn't like flo. Apperantly the idea behind flo isn't wheter you like her or not its if you talk about her. Which is what people are doing. great ad campaigns don't cost money they make money.

Archived