virtually no one is watch the Pitt Caps series

Spudz

I don't think I'd ever want you on any team of mine with that kind of attitude.

You NEVER say NEVER.

Talk to Progressive insurance about the value of the right pitch and marketing campaign. Without Flo, they were just another cheapo insurance company.

The problem with the NHL Admin is that it's an old boys network with all of the wrong thinking.

Who the hell thought Crosby should be the golden boy for the NHL? He's WAY too fem, he makes the sport look, to Americans, "European". Even though we have Obama in the Whitehouse, our culture still has its roots in cowboyism, rough and tough, heart and soul. They need to promote the savages, like Ovechkin, who gets far more response from the ladies I know than Crosby ever would.

Then they need to plaster the NHL logo all over American beers - no, not crap American big time beer, but GOOD American micro brews which are all the rage right now (with reason, too). Billboards - one in every city that just promotes the game, right in the middle of summer. No teams in particular, even in team markets, just the NHL and the game of hockey.

They need to get the NHL into some major movies - like product placement. It doesn't have to BE the movie, just the right usage, in the right vein (in other words, not where hockey is the punchline to a joke). They need to create and distribute some viral video. They need to brand-infiltrate non-hockey forums.

The NHL has been too slow on the uptake and are behind in their understanding of how to market, and where to market. You don't put a team in Arizona! God, that's so stupid. For now, at least.

Anyway, you never give up despite the setbacks. Tsk tsk for you.

I never said never. But this league has been trying for several decades, it seems, to turn more people into hockey fans. Weren't the ratings lousy on ESPN?

Old marketing saw: You can't sell from an empty wagon.

Listen. My 80 something year old mother talks to her tween granddaughter about football! This ain't happening to the NHL.

Old marketing saw: You can't sell from an empty wagon.

I don't agree with that. I don't like it but don't agree. I've seen some pretty bad products sell well only because of marketing. I don't think the league has been doing correctly for the last umpteen years. Just throwing Barry Melrose on ESPN doesn't mean it was marketed correctly.

Here is a good example

In my opinion they shouldn't have jumped south so fast. Focuse on your big city markets more, then slowely expand out. You have a team for example the L.A. kings in a huge market that you can't even draw from, and you assume just throwing this product at Phoenix will be successful.

Personally, I'd like to see Versus fire every person involved with NHL hockey and just rebroadcast the CBC or TSN feed from Canada. No American network has ever done justice to hockey. I'm fortunate enough to live where I get to see Hockey Night in Canada all season and just about every playoff game on CBC. They speak at least two levels of intelligence higher than anyone on Versus or NBC.

As far as the Pens and Caps, despite the huge buildup for a game 7 showdown between Sid and Alex, last night's game was a blowout. How are you going to sell to non-fans when the "biggest" game of the playoffs (so far) fizzles out? (On that note, is anyone else suspicious that Washington came out so flat last night? Ovechkin gave the puck away several times, one that resulted in a goal. There's no WWE-style fixes going on here, right? Sometimes I wonder.....) :rolleyes:

The Caps played offensively last night, forced into it because they got behind. Their defense got caught, OV turns it over, missed that breakaway chance... just to name a few.

I'm with you on the CBC, HNC is great, even if you can't agree with him all the time he's a good listen.

I wonder if the NHL would be happier with OV going deeper than Crosby into the playoffs?

The whole "I can't find Vs. on TV" is getting tired..... how hard is it to do a search for sports, then narrow it down to hockey, and watch the listing pull up the channel for you?? Let's be real, if someone actually WANTS to watch a hockey game, it's not that hard to find the damn channel.

You're either interested, or you're not. The problem lies in the NHL's inability to DRAW interest. They do a horrible job at marketing the sport, and other sports channels (ESPN) do a horrible job at covering the sport.

The other idea of "if your city doesn't have a team....." concept is kinda ridiculous as well. I can name several states that don't have an NFL team, but they don't seem to be hurting in regards to fans tuning in.

If the NHL is that worried about it's lack of fan base, they should try and do something about it. I've yet to see any evidence they've made any real attempt at drawing in new fans, and please don't give me the shootout as an example.... that would actually be a great example of the NHL Failing to market properly... <_<

Great post.

E$PN is the Wal-Mart of sports now for better or worse. Other sports have TONS of drama that draw people to the game. The NFL has a huge betting angle to it that helps it. The NHL is about the game and that is it. If Ovechkin vs Crosby were an NBA duel, Stern would have marketed the hell out of it that most of us would have been SO tired of it by the beginning of the series. But you know what, that DRAWS ratings.

The NHL says "we have the 2 best players, hey, fans can and will find us" when it really has to be 'I will market this like crazy to show them that they almost HAVE to watch to see what happens'

This is not about is the NHL a better product then the NBA etc...it is a perception to draw fans in.

a lot of people still don't get vs. on their cable/dish without paying extra. that's why i'm not watching. i miss it, and i'm pissed because they bought the irl also which i enjoy... but i already pay extra for setanta and hbo...enough's enough.

Archived