Roy at the World Championships

chileanseabass

I was just looking over the game summary from the final where Canada lost to the Russians. I was surprised to see the following ice time totals for the Canada players:

WEBER Shea 31:58 (11:16 in 3rd Period)

HAMHUIS Dan 28:39

ROY Derek 22:31 (10:40 in 3rd Period)

ST. LOUIS Marty 21:05

DOUGHTY Drew 18:37

DOAN Shane 18:04

SPEZZA Jason 17:33

VLASIC Marc-Edouard 16:28

FISHER Mike 15:38

HEATLEY Dany 15:32

STAMKOS Steve 14:56

HORCOFF Shawn 12:51

LOMBARDI Matthew 12:50

ZAJAC Travis 12:07

COBURN Braydon 11:12

PHILLIPS Chris 9:30

UPSHALL Scotty 8:57

ARMSTRONG Colby 7:43

KWIATKOWSKI Joel 0:00

SCHENN Luke 0:00

Kinda hard to imagine Roy out there for more than half of the third period (2nd only to Weber who was on the ice for half the game) in a final. And that's considerably more ice time than a guy like Heatley. I know Roy is a center and Heatley a winger, but it seems like Lindy really stuck with him in this game, even going with him over Spezza.

Sabre bias :P

Just kidding. Lindy equates ice time to effort; one must assume Roy was putting forth more of an effort than Spezza was.

Interesting nonetheless. Thanks for posting this.

I see another name on that list with some massive ice time: Martin St Louis. He's a player I wouldn't mind seeing in Blue + Gold next season. He's small yes, but he has cup experience and plays to win.

Just kidding. Lindy equates ice time to effort; one must assume Roy was putting forth more of an effort than Spezza was.

I see another name on that list with some massive ice time: Martin St Louis. He's a player I wouldn't mind seeing in Blue + Gold next season. He's small yes, but he has cup experience and plays to win.

No thanks our woes could better be addressed with someone else. His salary is gonna be way to high for what he brings to the ice. Vinny Laclavier yes St. Louis not so much.

I was just looking over the game summary from the final where Canada lost to the Russians. I was surprised to see the following ice time totals for the Canada players:

WEBER Shea 31:58 (11:16 in 3rd Period)

HAMHUIS Dan 28:39

ROY Derek 22:31 (10:40 in 3rd Period)

ST. LOUIS Marty 21:05

DOUGHTY Drew 18:37

DOAN Shane 18:04

SPEZZA Jason 17:33

VLASIC Marc-Edouard 16:28

FISHER Mike 15:38

HEATLEY Dany 15:32

STAMKOS Steve 14:56

HORCOFF Shawn 12:51

LOMBARDI Matthew 12:50

ZAJAC Travis 12:07

COBURN Braydon 11:12

PHILLIPS Chris 9:30

UPSHALL Scotty 8:57

ARMSTRONG Colby 7:43

KWIATKOWSKI Joel 0:00

SCHENN Luke 0:00

Kinda hard to imagine Roy out there for more than half of the third period (2nd only to Weber who was on the ice for half the game) in a final. And that's considerably more ice time than a guy like Heatley. I know Roy is a center and Heatley a winger, but it seems like Lindy really stuck with him in this game, even going with him over Spezza.

Without looking at the details of the game, I have to mention that Roy is far more defensively able than guys like Spezza or Heatley. Is that going to factor in here at all?

IMHO Heatley, Spezza and Doan created what little offense Canada had in that game.

Doan had a bad game though, missed the chance of a clear cut breakaway in the third simply cause he couldn't control the pass.

I saw St. Louis out there a lot with Roy, however I don't remember Roy doing anything memorable, just carrying the puck on the perimeter, and getting knocked on his ass constantly.

Canada's PP was pretty ineffective against the Russians which might have something to do with that, and what worried me is that was just like watching a Sabres Vs. Sens powerplay - Four guys hassling the PP wherever, pressuring them on the puck, creating turnovers off poor passing plays.

The only guy to really create something off the rush was Drew Doughty - Lindy should've played him a heckuva lot more. I saw at least 3 occasions where he walked through 2-3 Russians to setup behind the net, and he had jump in his skates on the night which others seemed to lack.

IMHO, he was one of the best players on the ice, but I can't remember if he was the one pinching on the 2-1 goal. If he was, that would explain the 18 minutes of ice time.

Without looking at the details of the game, I have to mention that Roy is far more defensively able than guys like Spezza or Heatley. Is that going to factor in here at all?

Well, Canada had to score in the 3rd, and IMHO Lindy made the mistake of worrying too much about what the Russian offense might do, instead of his own teams offense.

Seemed like he was more worried about losing 4-1 than going hard for the equaliser in the last 10 minutes.

I know they outshot the Russians badly, but 90% of those shots were low percentage bad angle shots, as where the Russians didn't take shots like that, but would rather pass it around until they got a better look.

So yes, that could definitely be a factor.

No thanks our woes could better be addressed with someone else. His salary is gonna be way to high for what he brings to the ice. Vinny Laclavier yes St. Louis not so much.

Well, St. Louis has 2 years left on his contract, and in both years he has a cap hit of 4 million. For a player that consistently puts up on average about 80 points a season, that's not too shabby.

Well, St. Louis has 2 years left on his contract, and in both years he has a cap hit of 4 million. For a player that consistently puts up on average about 80 points a season, that's not too shabby.

Point taken, and he is the type of player that DR would probably go for. However isn't that going the wrong way are we not trying to get bigger, stronger etc. We already have Roy who produces approx 80 points for 4 mill per year. Now if they would take hecht and Tallinder then I am all for it. Of course then again the no one wants our junk players for their superstars.

His salary is 4 million per, but the cap hit will be 5.25 million. It was a front loaded deal.

Well, Canada had to score in the 3rd, and IMHO Lindy made the mistake of worrying too much about what the Russian offense might do, instead of his own teams offense.

Seemed like he was more worried about losing 4-1 than going hard for the equaliser in the last 10 minutes.

I know they outshot the Russians badly, but 90% of those shots were low percentage bad angle shots, as where the Russians didn't take shots like that, but would rather pass it around until they got a better look.

So yes, that could definitely be a factor.

Good to see the brilliant Ruff hasn't lost his touch in the big game.

Point taken, and he is the type of player that DR would probably go for. However isn't that going the wrong way are we not trying to get bigger, stronger etc. We already have Roy who produces approx 80 points for 4 mill per year. Now if they would take hecht and Tallinder then I am all for it. Of course then again the no one wants our junk players for their superstars.

His size is the only problem. The team desperately needs bigger, stronger players. No doubt about that. However, I'd still be willing to take a chance on St. Louis. He's an awesome offensive threat despite his size, and he's a true leader on the ice. If the Lightning were shopping him, Id give up a few players in a heartbeat to land him in a Sabres jersey. I would just hope the Sabres make other moves to add some grit to the team.

His salary is 4 million per, but the cap hit will be 5.25 million. It was a front loaded deal.

Ah yes, you are correct. My mistake. Even at 5.25, he'd be worth looking at.

Didn't Lacavalier and St. Louis both play on a team that ended up 2nd to last in the league? I'd rather look at players from the top end of the list.

The problem was not their forwards. The problem was they constructed a team with only 2.5 defensemen

Meszaros -Malik

Ranger- Nobody

Nobody-Nobody

And I think 2.5 is generous.

Definitely... Malik wouldn't have played on any other teams, and Ranger (who's probably their best d-man) only played in 42 games. Hell even Mike Smith was doing an outstanding job before he got a concussion. The rest of the d corps was just awful.

Didn't Lacavalier and St. Louis both play on a team that ended up 2nd to last in the league? I'd rather look at players from the top end of the list.

They've got a Cup. Let's take a look at the league's annual whipping boy Joe Thornton. If both he and Lecavalier were available, which would you rather have? Crosby and Ovechkin were both on teams in the past that didn't make the playoffs and were towards the bottom of the standings. Does that mean no one should have gone near them at that point either? Or what about a guy like Shawn Thornton with the Bruins. They finished first, so would you automatically want a guy like him over Lecavalier?

I have to say, your point is bit of a head scratcher for me.

They've got a Cup. Let's take a look at the league's annual whipping boy Joe Thornton. If both he and Lecavalier were available, which would you rather have? Crosby and Ovechkin were both on teams in the past that didn't make the playoffs and were towards the bottom of the standings. Does that mean no one should have gone near them at that point either? Or what about a guy like Shawn Thornton with the Bruins. They finished first, so would you automatically want a guy like him over Lecavalier?

I have to say, your point is bit of a head scratcher for me.

They are both great players. But Buffalo has plenty of guys that can play. What they don't have is (offensive)leaders. I personally believe that Adreychuk was the real leader of Tampa's Stanley Cup team. And for the money that both of those guy's are going to demand, they should be able to lead ANY team into the playoffs, or at least not the bottom of the NHL. They haven't.

They are both great players. But Buffalo has plenty of guys that can play. What they don't have is (offensive)leaders. I personally believe that Adreychuk was the real leader of Tampa's Stanley Cup team. And for the money that both of those guy's are going to demand, they should be able to lead ANY team into the playoffs, or at least not the bottom of the NHL. They haven't.

And I'd say that X countered that thought pretty well. Wayne Gretzky wasn't leading those blueliners to the postseason.

Archived