The official "Don't Trade Marty" thread.

Eleven

Corp said some of this in the 3/4 gameday thread. Here's why not to trade him (Biron, not Corp):

1. He's too valuable as a backup, and the Sabres will need a backup with 14 games in the next 4 weeks. Apparently he's gotten over the old problem of not being able to play well without regular work; he was incredible tonight.

2. This team got this far; why let some newcomer ride their coattails?

3. Kalinin will be back soon and I personally will guard Fitzpatrick in the stands to make sure he doesn't try to dress for games.

4. Correct me if I'm wrong on this: Don't callups become "free" at some point after the trade deadline; i.e., players don't need to clear waivers to go back and forth between here and Rochester? That would mean that if there's a hurt D-man, the Sabres are not limited to Fitzpatrick.

4. Correct me if I'm wrong on this: Don't callups become "free" at some point after the trade deadline; i.e., players don't need to clear waivers to go back and forth between here and Rochester? That would mean that if there's a hurt D-man, the Sabres are not limited to Fitzpatrick.

The 23 man roster limit goes away after the trade deadline. Teams can have as many players on the roster as they want provided the salary cap isn't violated.

There will be a certain number of callups / send downs allowed between Buffalo and Rochester before a player is required to clear waivers to move. I am not certain how many it will be because the trade deadline is 2 weeks earlier than it used to be, and I assume there will be more "free moves" allowed than in the past.

The team will definitely have access to more D-men than Rory in case of injuries, but I don't have faith in Rory, much less guys that are below him on the depth chart.

at this point a biron trade would benefit us but its hard to argue with having a backup that can fill in on a whim that well... i guess its darcys call... something has to happen with this 3 headed monster... just a few more days :)

any word on how noronen has played in ra cha cha?

Looks like 0-2 with a GAA close to but probably below 3.00. He lost consecutive 3-2 games, so I imagine he was pulled towards the end of each (which lowers the goals against average). [EDIT: see JujuFish's correction below. Of course it would raise the GAA and not lower it. And I was good at math once.]

Note that he didn't dress for tonight's game against Chicago. The conditioning assignment may be over.

so you'd rather have mika come in at a whim during, oh, say game 6, than marty? I'd rather have marty backing up miller. And if you're going to trade me, i demand a keg of labatt blue and some ice.

Mika can get the job done. I'd rather have another good top 4 d-man in front of Miller than having Marty on the bench doing nothing

Corp said some of this in the 3/4 gameday thread. Here's why not to trade him (Biron, not Corp):

I personally will guard Fitzpatrick in the stands to make sure he doesn't try to dress for games.

This is why Biron SHOULD be traded. There is no depth on the blue line and you are looking at Fitzpatrick(who has played better of late) and then your choice of Jillson, Janik or Paetsch in Rochester if you sustain any injuries to your top 4 defenseman(McKee, Tallinder, Lydman & Teppo)..

Mika can get the job done. I'd rather have another good top 4 d-man in front of Miller than having Marty on the bench doing nothing

Amen! ;)

so you'd rather have mika come in at a whim during, oh, say game 6, than marty? I'd rather have marty backing up miller. And if you're going to trade me, i demand a keg of labatt blue and some ice.

Corp - If I can get a keg of Labatt Blue AND ice for you - say goodbye!

The only way you don't trade Biron if you were planning on Miller getting hurt. If we have a coach and manager that plans on that they should be ashamed of themselves.

You are the most illogical person I have ever met. I'm not talking exclusively about this statement, but in general through all the things I have ever read from you.

The only way you don't trade Biron if you were planning on Miller getting hurt. If we have a coach and manager that plans on that they should be ashamed of themselves.

I echo JujuFish's sentiment, and add this: Injury is not the only concern. Fatigue (which can lead to injury but also can lead to bad play) is a concern as well. 14 games in the next four weeks. 9 games in 18 days in April. In total, a game every other day on average. Followed by four playoff series, unless management really is making plans which should make them ashamed of themselves. (Management has to assume the long haul at this point).

It's clear that a backup is going to get some work in that stretch. I have faith in the current skaters, with one exception (Fitzpatrick), to go deep into the playoffs. I'd rather have Biron backstopping the current team than Noronen backstopping this team plus one better defenseman. This team can win the division and possibly a #1 seed (now that Cole is out), without making any changes at all.

Guest meet me at the zoo

Of course Biron won't be traded. All goalies get injured and Miller is no exception. Goalie is the most important position and when MIller's season is ended by some freek accident, and by the way, most goalies don't finish seasons or the playoffs, we will have Marty to come in and save our bacon

See and i think you guys are illogical because please, please explain to me how our gaolie is as great as all the goalies that came in to the NHL. If he needs a rest in the playoffs like a little girl. It is you who is illogical.

Nobody ever explains to me why i am wrong they just say i am wrong. You guys are f#$#in nuts here.

Yeah they really worried about Patrick Roy being Hurt or Tired in his prime or Belfour or Brodeour or and Moog or Bill Ranford or Dominik Hasek. I couldn't even name the backup when Hasek was here.

So that being said. Please tell me why if Miller is a great goalie why we would baby him. Why we need anyone else but him and Noranen as a back up? He would be the best back up in the NHL.

So once again sir it is you the fans who dont see the difference in treatment for this NHL goalie as apposed to the greats of the past and present. It is you who is illogical.

actually it was a choice between dwayne rolson and marty biron... i believe biron got that start and played fabulous... so yes there was a choice and yes im pretty sure we did care because that game could have turned the tied in the series... so we were all pretty worried, but then again why dwell on past happening when this year is just so awsome...

See and i think you guys are illogical because please, please explain to me how our gaolie is as great as all the goalies that came in to the NHL. If he needs a rest in the playoffs like a little girl. It is you who is illogical.

Nobody ever explains to me why i am wrong they just say i am wrong. You guys are f#$#in nuts here.

Yeah they really worried about Patrick Roy being Hurt or Tired in his prime or Belfour or Brodeour or and Moog or Bill Ranford or Dominik Hasek. I couldn't even name the backup when Hasek was here.

So that being said. Please tell me why if Miller is a great goalie why we would baby him. Why we need anyone else but him and Noranen as a back up? He would be the best back up in the NHL.

So once again sir it is you the fans who dont see the difference in treatment for this NHL goalie as apposed to the greats of the past and present. It is you who is illogical.

I did explain why. The reason is that goaltenders cannot play an average of every other day for several months and still be effective. Interesting that you mentioned Moog. He platooned with Fuhr so that neither would be fatigued. Get the picture now?

Guest Guest

....The reason is that goaltenders cannot play an average of every other day for several months and still be effective. .....

Miller has shown he can play over 60 games a year. He played 10 straight before saturday night. I'm not willing to give up the chance to get the defencemen that we NEED in order to protect the goalie that we probably won't need in the playoffs, and definately won't need next year. Mika can play, and anyone that has half a memory should know that we don't have to worry too much about him picking up a game here and there. The guy is just dying to get a chance to prove himself and will stand on his head to do it. Mika is a solid goaltender, and a great back-up for a consistent goalie like Miller.

Guest Meet me at the zoo

What has Miller proven? You trade away Biron and Miller will turn into a flop. Look at Defoe in Boston, one season wonder

actually it was a choice between dwayne rolson and marty biron... i believe biron got that start and played fabulous... so yes there was a choice and yes im pretty sure we did care because that game could have turned the tied in the series... so we were all pretty worried, but then again why dwell on past happening when this year is just so awsome...

It was actually rolson who got the start and i think it was in game 2 or 3, I can't remember now and he played well. I do agree with you that we should trade marty, because when we had Hasek that year, we planned on riding him all the way and didn't seem overly concerned with our backup. I think the mika can play as well or even better now then when rolson could 7 years ago.

What has Miller proven? You trade away Biron and Miller will turn into a flop.

So your factual basis for Miller turning into a flop has nothing to do with how he has played this year, but is based on some other player's career. Seems like sound logic to me. Sounds about on par with us not caring who the backup is.

If the right deal comes along, trade Biron. Noronen will be a good backup. Biron is doing us no good on the bench, and Miller is not going to all of the sudden forget how to play when his backup changes. If Biron is packaged for a good defenseman, the team is going to be in much better shape overall.

Archived