39 members have voted

1. 1. Who's the new coach?

• James Patrick
    • Kevin Dineen
    • Randy Cunneyworth
    • Peter Laviolette
    • Bob Hartley
    • other

I've been late to jump on the "need a new coach" bandwagon, but after last night I think it's time. Whether it's Lindy being out of touch or being hung out to dry by lousy players, it's obvious that something needs to be done.

Who do you want to be the new coach?

My vote goes to Cunneyworth. He had a lot of these guys in Rochester and did a great job. Give him a shot on the big stage. Plus i'm sure he'd love to get out of Atlanta.

My vote goes to Cunneyworth. He had a lot of these guys in Rochester and did a great job. Give him a shot on the big stage. Plus i'm sure he'd love to get out of Atlanta.

I agree that something has to be done; I'm not sure firing Lindy is that something. However, if it is, then I don't think bringing in someone that this group is comfortable with is the answer. They need to bring in someone who will shake up the "frat" house (note: having been in a fraternity, I hate that word, but feel it has the right level of derogatoriness -- believe it or not, that is a word -- for this case.) A corresponding player shake up (i.e., dropping one of the core) would be beneficial.

I voted for Dineen. He coached under the Ducks, so he has to know hard-nose hockey well. He received the Louis A.R. Pieri Memorial Award as the AHL's outstanding coach for the 2005-06 season. As long as the kids in Portland haven't grown too comfortable with him, maybe he deserves a shot.

I agree that something has to be done; I'm not sure firing Lindy is that something. However, if it is, then I don't think bringing in someone that this group is comfortable with is the answer. They need to bring in someone who will shake up the "frat" house (note: having been in a fraternity, I hate that word, but feel it has the right level of derogatoriness -- believe it or not, that is a word -- for this case.) A corresponding player shake up (i.e., dropping one of the core) would be beneficial.

I voted for Dineen. He coached under the Ducks, so he has to know hard-nose hockey well. He received the Louis A.R. Pieri Memorial Award as the AHL's outstanding coach for the 2005-06 season. As long as the kids in Portland haven't grown too comfortable with him, maybe he deserves a shot.

I agree, picking a guy that these players are comfortable with would be a mistake...I would really like to see more than a couple of these "core" guys shipped out. I don't care any more that they all came up together. What the F is that doing for us? I'd say "scare" them with a shakeup, but players today have little to fear. It's actually the older guys that have families and are settled into their lives that hate the "shakeup"...ask Craig Rivet about his move to Buffalo...he certainly wasn't thrilled at first...oh, wait, he's probably not too thrilled now to have been moved from a conference leader to a team that can't hold on to a lead to save it's season.

It doesn't matter who's the coach as long as Regier's around. The team Darcy has assembled, for the most part, is soft, stupid and lazy. Fire Darcy and sign a GM who can find talented players who are hard-nosed, gritty and know how to work hard.

I've been late to jump on the "need a new coach" bandwagon, but after last night I think it's time. Whether it's Lindy being out of touch or being hung out to dry by lousy players, it's obvious that something needs to be done.

Who do you want to be the new coach?

OK, Pile on Ruff! I blame th eplayers. One in particular is the guy that drives me crazy, Tim Connolly! What is our record with 19 in the lineup this season? I don't think he has been worth the 4.5 million Darcy and Quinn is going to pay a man who should have played for free on year at what he did not deliver on th elast contract. Regardless, he is not the threat the organization likes to believe he is. He actually makes players aroud him worse. He is a soft, glider finesse player! Last night the reason this team got in trouble was due t the fact the skaters were not Sakting! They were gliding! Connolly seems to have the support of the team around him.....but if he was so dam worth th emoney.....Why does Rivet wear the C? This team may or may not make th eplayoffs, but it has nothing to do with Ruff. He has two ancient wonders on the Blue line in Rivet and Numminen! A back up so so Goale Tandum! and players way overpaid in Tallinder,Pomminstein, Afinogenov,Hecht, Mair.

I will say Ruff needs to stay with lines longer. This team looks like a training cap team. There is absolutely no familiarity displayed when these lines are jostled night in and night out. Pick your best 20 players and dress them. If your not good enough to crack the top 3 lines you sit! Waive Peters, he has no role on this team. He barely belongs in the AHL!

If Ruff leaves , he will do great elsewhere! I like the idea of bringing in Cunneyworth!

Whatever they are paying Miller, they need to take the money that Connolly stold and give it to Miller!

Mike Foligno

Mike Ramsey

Cunneyworth

Nolan

In no particular order.

Anyways...Ruff will not coach forever.

It will be plenty sad when the inevitable happens.

I strongly believe Darcy and Ruff come back with the former making some moves with the lineup...serious moves.

The other thread about who-can-go details the other half of this team's evolution and return to a winner.

Unacceptable to not make the postseason this (and last) year, but, I still cannot part with Ruff and Darcy without allowing them the opportunity to rework this lineup.

After this year, they have no more chances left.

I don't believe you have to hit rock bottom and rebuild. You re-tool every year and still make the playoffs every year.

Really...really discouraging at this keyboard. Really aggravating.

Really really.

At the least, WE deserve a playoff round...at least.

Really.

None of the above. If that's the best of the current available head coaches then it's time to extend Lindy's contract.

This should not be a surprise to anyone but I agree 100% with DeLuca.

Lindy's not to blame. Firing him would be the greatest thing to ever happen to him.

This team has quit on him, and they do not deserve to have him as their coach. If Bob Gainy were smart he would bring Ruff up to Montreal to stick to the Sabres Front Office.

Quinn/Regeir will not go out and get a good coach. I would've been happy with Tortarella.

Instead, it will be a yes man that they can control. Oh...and they will come on the cheap to. Say hello to Patrick, Cunnyworth, or McCutcheon.

What was that song... Don't know what you got til its gone....enter Ruff's picture here!

Keep Lindy, but trade Roy, Pommers, Tallinder, Hecht to name a few.

It gets old, when the coach is the only one who takes the fall...........Lindy has done a good job as coach of the Sabres.............Lets face it the "new" NHL lasted for 2 years and only trace amounts of it are left, this team needs to get bigger and tougher, while at the same time building around skilled players like Vanek and Miller...........There are some good young defense men to build around as well..........Blaming Lindy is not gonna solve anything, he would be out of work for about 45 minutes, unless of course he wants to take some time off.

I want to keep Ruff. My opinion is the problem lies with our players. Ruff has tried almost every motivation tactic to get them to play. This is why we need player changes.

- The team has quit in many games even with Ryan Miller in the net. So they don't care who they quit on.

- They are too soft. Many of our players back off on phyical contact. All our opponents know if they play a close physical game with us we fold.

- We have only three A players on the team. Vanek, Roy, Miller. And sometimes they don't show up.

- We have too many middle of the road players. Ruff can only elevate them above average occasionally.

- They act like spoiled little rich kids. This really burns me up.

Regier has made many questionable player decisions and now its coming to a head. Darcy is who we need to get rid of along with Pominville and a few others.

Archived