The Few, The Proud, The Core

darksabre

I have a poster from the Buffalo News from the start of the season hanging on my wall. It reads "The Few, The Proud, The Core" and depicts Miller, Hecht, Pomminstein, Roy, and Vanek.

So much for the core. I'm about to take it down. Vanek hasn't been any good since his injury, and the middle three have been...well...we all know. Miller has been fine this season. So have all of our other goaltenders.

If this was supposed to be our core, who is our "new" core? Because this one ain't working out.

I have a poster from the Buffalo News from the start of the season hanging on my wall. It reads "The Few, The Proud, The Core" and depicts Miller, Hecht, Pomminstein, Roy, and Vanek.

So much for the core. I'm about to take it down. Vanek hasn't been any good since his injury, and the middle three have been...well...we all know. Miller has been fine this season. So have all of our other goaltenders.

If this was supposed to be our core, who is our "new" core? Because this one ain't working out.

Hand out big contracts to who you believe are your core, but then turn out to be anything but part of the core, leaves the team in a tough position.

setting aside miller, there can't be any denying that the above are a problematic, flawed group of core players. that said, there's also a place for each one of those guys on an nhl club -- each of them can be a legitimate top-6 forward, i think.

but, as others have said over and over again, we have too much chuminess on this team and too many players that are effectively "the same guy." the culture of the team needs to be blown up. folding in a rivet didn't get the job done, but, in hind sight, understandably so. the only way this team rebuilds is if they jettison, at a minimum, two of the skaters listed above (along with a host of others).

I don't think Miller can get a pass for some of his poor first half play.

I don't think Miller can get a pass for some of his poor first half play.

Agreed about his first half play, but he did come around. Sometimes people just get into funks. He came out of it, unlike the rest of these girls. I also think Miller cares a lot more about his game; he's shown his emotion. I think his heart is in it, and I can't hate on him too much for that.

The only change with this core during the off season will be the extra change each of them will be cashing in. :thumbdown:

Wait you forgot about the big acquistion of Nathan GERBE!!!

Lessons of the past show that management will not do much to change the team. We cant bank on any big changes and we all know how Regier plans to build this team. There destined to wait for "the kids" to grow up and maintain there stance of "building from within".

Because i'm sure Gerbe will turn this team around. :rolleyes:

Agreed about his first half play, but he did come around. Sometimes people just get into funks. He came out of it, unlike the rest of these girls. I also think Miller cares a lot more about his game; he's shown his emotion. I think his heart is in it, and I can't hate on him too much for that.

He really had what amounts to two months of bad play. He was pretty good in October, bad in Nov. and Dec, and was very good from the New Year on.

Wait you forgot about the big acquistion of Nathan GERBE!!!

Lessons of the past show that management will not do much to change the team. We cant bank on any big changes and we all know how Regier plans to build this team. There destined to wait for "the kids" to grow up and maintain there stance of "building from within".

Because i'm sure Gerbe will turn this team around. :rolleyes:

LMAO...so true. Gerbe looked like sh!t every time he was called up. The Gerbe hysteria reminds me of the Flutie hysteria. His NHL career has about as much potential as Mancari's.

Threads like this lend myself to the Devils. Example this year being, Brodeur goes down for half the season and they are still right there! I wont argue the trap or whatever, just the simple fact that year after year the core of the Devils at least makes the playoffs; in a division just as or stronger than the Sabres.

Didnt they pickup Shanahan? we get Moore..... <_<

The way this team is playing, you will see new faces next year. Tyler Ennis should have a real shot. Very talented player. Tyler Myers needs to be here too.

I'll be interested to see if the Sabres feel that Myers is ready for the NHL even though he has junior eligibility remaining. Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe Ennis will be turning pro next year and eligible to play in the AHL?

Archived