Dominic Moore to Buffalo for a 2nd

carpandean

Mair is one of my favorite players, but Moore's "more skilled" is enough that he (unlike Mair) can effectively center a second (scoring) line effectively when needed, which is something that we've needed for the past two years. He also is very good on the PK, which Mair is not. Mair is a better fourth line center, but Moore is a better third/second line center. If he usurps anyone, it will be Hecht (at least as a center.)

Not to pick a fight with you Carp, but before this year Moore's career high in points was 18 points. Maybe we should leave the exaggerating and over stating to the pros, like me. :thumbsup:

Not to pick a fight with you Carp, but before this year Moore's career high in points was 18 points. Maybe we should leave the exaggerating and over stating to the pros, like me. :thumbsup:

True. However, he's also never had the opportunity to play on a top line before. He had been given a role (3rd/4th line grinder) by previous teams and everyone assumed that was where he belonged. Toronto had no real depth, which forced them to try him on a scoring line with Blake (I'm assuming that's why, unless anyone knows differently) and it turns out that he plays quite well in that spot. There is certainly a question as to whether he can continue to play that well, which is why the Maple Leafs weren't willing to give him a multi-year deal at $2.5 million per (they were at $2 million per.) Obviously, he's no #1 center, but he's shown that he could at least be a good fill-in option on the second line.

True. However, he's also never had the opportunity to play on a top line before. He had been given a role (3rd/4th line grinder) by previous teams and everyone assumed that was where he belonged. Toronto had no real depth, which forced them to try him on a scoring line with Blake (I'm assuming that's why, unless anyone knows differently) and it turns out that he plays quite well in that spot. There is certainly a question as to whether he can continue to play that well, which is why the Maple Leafs weren't willing to give him a multi-year deal at $2.5 million per (they were at $2 million per.) Obviously, he's no #1 center, but he's shown that he could at least be a good fill-in option on the second line.

I hear what you are saying. And again I am not anti-Moore. Every time I question a player some on this board get bunched panties really quick. What you said can be said for pretty much every third and fourth liner in the league. I think Moore is doing well in Toronto because they didn't have much else. Didn't Plante lead the Sabres in scoring one year?

All that side. I would love if the Sabres moved Hecht and made room for a player like Moore next season. I would even over pay a little just to keep another center on the roster considering the situation the Sabres have at the top of the Center depth chart.

I hear what you are saying. And again I am not anti-Moore. Every time I question a player some on this board get bunched panties really quick. What you said can be said for pretty much every third and fourth liner in the league. I think Moore is doing well in Toronto because they didn't have much else. Didn't Plante lead the Sabres in scoring one year?

You may be right. However, we've had our share 3rd/4th-line players that have not proven to be capable filling in on scoring lines. I watched a few Maple Leafs game that we didn't play in and Moore seemed to have a knack for setting up goals.

All that side. I would love if the Sabres moved Hecht and made room for a player like Moore next season. I would even over pay a little just to keep another center on the roster considering the situation the Sabres have at the top of the Center depth chart.

Unfortunately, it will probably come down to Hecht or Moore, as keeping both would be too expensive, and since Hecht has a contract that would be hard to move, as well as a history of playing well for the team (before this season), it will probably end up being Hecht. I would definitely like to have another capable center on the roster, especially with Timmy's history. My guess is that player will end up being Tim Kennedy. I will give credit to Tom Webster for saying that Hecht's contract would prove to be a problem for this team. Unfortunately, I didn't know that Hecht would fall so far when I disagreed.

Good call.

Unfortunately, it will probably come down to Hecht or Moore, as keeping both would be too expensive, and since Hecht has a contract that would be hard to move, as well as a history of playing well for the team (before this season), it will probably end up being Hecht. I would definitely like to have another capable center on the roster, especially with Timmy's history. My guess is that player will end up being Tim Kennedy. I will give credit to Tom Webster for saying that Hecht's contract would prove to be a problem for this team. Unfortunately, I didn't know that Hecht would fall so far when I disagreed.

And the unfortunately-likely-to-be-correct response.

Yeah when I heard that, I was wondering what it must be like for Dominic to play against Bertuzzi.

Moore knocked Bertuzzi on his ass during one meeting.

His other brother Mark played in the NHL and suffered a freak concussion in practice that he never really has recovered from. He has written a book on hockey. Folks can google it if interested, of course.

I am thinking the same way. If you want to measure Moore vs. Kotalik number wise, its not close. GM's must have been just banking on Moores' career year this year, and the intangibles of face-offs, etc. Besides the fact that he was a #2 center on the Leafs his career minutes must have been highs as well. I hate the comparsion of trading Kotalik for Moore.

Without taking anything away from Moore's season, dont be surprised if he turns into just another waste of space.

Can someone tell me about Moore's play last night? It seemed he was either hesitant to move the puck up ice when pressured, or just didn't know what to do.

Surely Lindy has told him off their D to D and up to a forward approach?

Maybe just afraid to f-up his first game?

Can someone tell me about Moore's play last night? It seemed he was either hesitant to move the puck up ice when pressured, or just didn't know what to do.

Surely Lindy has told him off their D to D and up to a forward approach?

Maybe just afraid to f-up his first game?

Because of the visa issues and the back-to-back games, it will be hard to completely judge him before Tuesday's game when he's had a real opportunity to really practice with the team. It's one thing to talk about a different system and another thing to play it. I generally thought he played well for having not practiced with the team.

The few times I noticed him out on the ice last night were all positive. The between-the-legs to center the puck, some back-checking, and a shot. All looked good to me.

I like Moore's smarts and effort. He got it out of the d-zone a few times with a big effort. Roby said he's

a Buffalo guy through and through. I want to see Moore!

How do people think they're going to wind up utilizing Moore? On Friday, he was skating with Roy and Afinogenov. On Saturday, he was skating with Gaustad and Kaleta. Obviously he's versatile.

It's hard to tell where he will end up playing. He hadn't even practiced with the team yet, some players (Roy, in particular) had the flu and the active players changed because of the back-to-back and because Max got hurt. Moore has spent most of career as a third-line player, who was very good on defense and killed penalties. At the very least, they will utilize him for that. However, in Toronto, he was given the opportunity to center a scoring line and did quite well. They will at least try him there (with real practice time.) Lindy talked about the Roy-Moore-Afinogenov line, because he likes Derek's game on the wing and Moore is a solid pivot, who is very strong on faceoffs. They may try that (or some variant thereof, if Max is out) again to see how it works. However, it is quite possible that he will end up playing on a true checking (third) line, the kind you put out against other teams' best lines. Time will tell, but like I said, they should have a better idea after a couple of real practices. Like you said, though, he is quite versatile, which a big part of why I believe they picked him up.

Archived