Can Lalime Carry the load?

bob_sauve28

I imagine that he will take some time to get in a grove but will play pretty well. But not as well as Miller was. Miller was really hot and he will be missed. Let's hope that Lalime rises to the occasion.

No.

He is a poor to average NHL goalie and this team needs more to have a chance. This team needs a goalie that will steal points for them. The longer Miller is out of action the less chance this team has of making it. Even with the continued collapse of the Pens, Rangers and Habs.

Adding to the problem, Enroth is coming off a terrible month of goaltending...

February stats

Record - 0-5-3

GAA - 3.85

Save % - .888

That being said, I could see Lalime getting a couple of games and if he is below average, you can bet Lindy is going to give Enroth a shot in hurry.

Frankly, I doubt it.

Looking at it statistically, Miller has a 2.50 GAA and .919 %, while Lalime is at 3.17 and .895 %. You can't blame those statistics on the fact that Lalime hasn't gotten the chance to play consistently, because his numbers over the past couple years with Chicago were virtually the same and he got more starting time there.

On a game-to-game basis, it might not seem like a huge deal, but over the long run, the necessity to score 4 goals on a daily basis instead of 3 to win will catch up to us.

Frankly, I doubt it.

Looking at it statistically, Miller has a 2.50 GAA and .919 %, while Lalime is at 3.17 and .895 %. You can't blame those statistics on the fact that Lalime hasn't gotten the chance to play consistently, because his numbers over the past couple years with Chicago were virtually the same and he got more starting time there.

On a game-to-game basis, it might not seem like a huge deal, but over the long run, the necessity to score 4 goals on a daily basis instead of 3 to win will catch up to us.

Actually, last year his GAA was 2.82 with a SP of .897. Lifetime its 2.55 and 9.05. If the Sabres play well in front of him, there is no reason he can't carry the load for 10-12 games.

Adding to the problem, Enroth is coming off a terrible month of goaltending...

February stats

Record - 0-5-3

GAA - 3.85

Save % - .888

That being said, I could see Lalime getting a couple of games and if he is below average, you can bet Lindy is going to give Enroth a shot in hurry.

I was thinking the same thing. I expect Enroth to be playing against the Islanders.

Well, it depends on how long Miller is out. If we're looking at 1-2 weeks, I think the answer is yes. After how I saw Lalime play against the Ducks and Carolina, I don't think Lalime is all that bad. A lot of those losses can be attributed to a terrible team that showed up that night in front of him. But, he played well earlier this year against the Islanders and Thrashers and played well, albeit in losses, Carolina and before that Anaheim. I think the Sabres can win a few games with Lalime in net as long as they play within the system, play stifling defense, forwards come back to backcheck, and step up their play in front of Lalime.

I don't think it's ever a good thing to lose the best player on the team, but I'm hoping that the Sabres realize that and step up their play in front of Lalime. If the Sabres don't go into this with the attitude that it's a spot start here and there and they can afford to show up flat and take the game off, then the Sabres should step up their play with Lalime knowing the playoffs are still possible so long as they play better than they would with Miller in net.

Well, it depends on how long Miller is out. If we're looking at 1-2 weeks, I think the answer is yes. After how I saw Lalime play against the Ducks and Carolina, I don't think Lalime is all that bad. A lot of those losses can be attributed to a terrible team that showed up that night in front of him. But, he played well earlier this year against the Islanders and Thrashers and played well, albeit in losses, Carolina and before that Anaheim. I think the Sabres can win a few games with Lalime in net as long as they play within the system, play stifling defense, forwards come back to backcheck, and step up their play in front of Lalime.

I don't think it's ever a good thing to lose the best player on the team, but I'm hoping that the Sabres realize that and step up their play in front of Lalime. If the Sabres don't go into this with the attitude that it's a spot start here and there and they can afford to show up flat and take the game off, then the Sabres should step up their play with Lalime knowing the playoffs are still possible so long as they play better than they would with Miller in net.

Right. He was 16-12-2 with Chicago last year, a team that finished only 6 games over .500. The team needs to step up and play better in front of him. They do that, they can be fine for a while.

YES, and this is a conditional yes if the rest of the team comitts to the style of play they played for the first 12 games of the season.(full team forecheck and backcheck and smart play with the puck).

By some recent standards and left to himself,,, NO.

Myself I choose to look at this as a glass half full situation. I and many here have seen and posted this team as comprised is a round one and done playoff time combination. If they have any chance of doing better/going longer they need to change their play, be more consistent and come together as a team.

Enter the opportunity; accept they will either swim or sink with the current roster and here comes my half full optimism; if I want them to do more than that and in the process help make/solidify some player decisions for next year(although allot of us have already done that) this is the litmus test for the next 4-8 weeks. Show me what you got fringe players and lets finally perfect a style of play that we will need to make a serious run in the playoff's..... Anything short of that and lts just start planning for next season....

YES, and this is a conditional yes if the rest of the team comitts to the style of play they played for the first 12 games of the season.(full team forecheck and backcheck and smart play with the puck).

By some recent standards and left to himself,,, NO.

Myself I choose to look at this as a glass half full situation. I and many here have seen and posted this team as comprised is a round one and done playoff time combination. If they have any chance of doing better/going longer they need to change their play, be more consistent and come together as a team.

Enter the opportunity; accept they will either swim or sink with the current roster and here comes my half full optimism; if I want them to do more than that and in the process help make/solidify some player decisions for next year(although allot of us have already done that) this is the litmus test for the next 4-8 weeks. Show me what you got fringe players and lets finally perfect a style of play that we will need to make a serious run in the playoff's..... Anything short of that and lts just start planning for next season....

Hear, hear!

I'm excited about hockey the next few weeks. Miller may be out, but the standings are close, the Sabres are going to be right in the thick of things until the very end, and we as fans will undoubtedly be paying close attention to several pertinent games a week for the next seven weeks. This is what we live for!

Ok.... so I think Lalime hasn't looked terrible, considering how much PT he's gotten. Give him a few games; he'll have one great one, and everyone on this board will be all over him, just you wait.

Seeing Enroth in could be great to see too.

Let's Go, Buff-a-lo!! :beer:

Lalime is going to be Lalime ... he'll be a little better than his numbers for the season and give up one every other game that has us shaking our heads.

It's up to everyone else ... if Paille and Hecht play like they did last night, including chipping in on the scoresheet, they have a fighting chance. I think it was the best game either has played all season.

I agree with DeLuca that Lalime is not going to steal them any games, and not many teams can lose their two best players for an extended period and not drop in the standings. But I think they can tread water and be within a couple points of a playoff spot if Miller is out 4 weeks or less. I just don't see anyone pulling away. If 4 weeks turns into 6 weeks, well ... Vanek better get very hot very fast upon his return, whenever it is.

Lalime is going to be Lalime ... he'll be a little better than his numbers for the season and give up one every other game that has us shaking our heads.

It's up to everyone else ... if Paille and Hecht play like they did last night, including chipping in on the scoresheet, they have a fighting chance. I think it was the best game either has played all season.

Agreed. The rest of the team needs to step up a little behind him. What a hell of a season for injuries and soft play, but yet they're still in 7th. They could drop out of a playoff spot after Tuesday, or, hold their ground. And with this team, ANYTHING can happen. I wouldn't write off the season until we see a couple of games post-Miller-injury.

I hear the Flyers may be looking to trade Marty before the deadline ... :unsure:

If it were true I would say do it in a minute. I think Marty is that rare goalie who may be better as a backup than as a starter. If the Sabres picked up Marty at the deadline it could possibly save their season.

The real question is how long are the Sabres willing to count on Enroth as the backup for? Realistically, he is not a starting-level NHL goalie yet. So, if Miller is out for a while, do you go past the deadline with a backup that really isn't capable?

One options that has been mentioned is trading for Manny Legacy. He was sent down to the AHL after Mason took over the starting job and he had a rough stretch in early 2009. However, he's been a starting NHL goaltender and was even one with decent stats as recently as last year (66 GP, 2.44 GAA, 0.911 S%.) He would have to pass through re-entry waivers, so there is a risk that he would be claimed, but (I believe) the Blues would have to cover half of his salary, making him fairly cheap. Another option would be to trade with NJ for Kevin Weekes when Brodeur returns this week. They have a great backup now in Clemmensen, so they could afford to trade away Weekes. Certainly, Darcy should being watching the waiver wire closely.

The real question is how long are the Sabres willing to count on Enroth as the backup for? Realistically, he is not a starting-level NHL goalie yet. So, if Miller is out for a while, do you go past the deadline with a backup that really isn't capable?

One options that has been mentioned is trading for Manny Legacy. He was sent down to the AHL after Mason took over the starting job and he had a rough stretch in early 2009. However, he's been a starting NHL goaltender and was even one with decent stats as recently as last year (66 GP, 2.44 GAA, 0.911 S%.) He would have to pass through re-entry waivers, so there is a risk that he would be claimed, but (I believe) the Blues would have to cover half of his salary, making him fairly cheap. Another option would be to trade with NJ for Kevin Weekes when Brodeur returns this week. They have a great backup now in Clemmensen, so they could afford to trade away Weekes. Certainly, Darcy should being watching the waiver wire closely.

I dunno.

Unless such a backup can be had for next to nothing, I say we go with what we got.

Making the playoffs with Miller was far from certain, making them with Lalime even more of a longshot, so trading commodity for a backup to a team that may quite likely hit the tees early just seems hasty.

Archived