Schneider to the Habs...

2ForTripping

I'm interested to see how they clear the cap space for him. There's a little over 50 days left in the season, so they will be on the hook for about $1.75 million of his gross (per season) $5.625 million cap hit. Right now, they have about $0.55 million in free cap space. That means that they need to clear $1.2 million of remaining cap hit, which works out to be about $3.87 in gross cap hit. Me thinks there's another move coming to dump some salary.

I'm interested to see how they clear the cap space for him. There's a little over 50 days left in the season, so they will be on the hook for about $1.75 million of his gross (per season) $5.625 million cap hit. Right now, they have about $0.55 million in free cap space. That means that they need to clear $1.2 million of remaining cap hit, which works out to be about $3.87 in gross cap hit. Me thinks there's another move coming to dump some salary.

Do they get a discount for Lang being out for season?

Do they get a discount for Lang being out for season?

Good call. If they haven't already, they will put Lang on LTIR (nhlnumbers.com shows him on IR, but not LTIR), giving them a cushion of roughly $1.25 million to cover his salary for the remainder of the season. Just enough. It might take them out of the scoring-line center market, though.

If I'm Darcy and I see that Atlanta has started to move already, I'd be looking at their roster right now with my hand on the phone.

I totally agree....time to pull off a blockbuster. Go after Kovalchuk. Great player playing up to the team he is on.

It will cost you, but be worth it. He is signed thru next year so you have time to work out a long term deal. It will cost A prominent player or two and rising minor leaguer,. but the time is now!,

I totally agree....time to pull off a blockbuster. Go after Kovalchuk. Great player playing up to the team he is on.

It will cost you, but be worth it. He is signed thru next year so you have time to work out a long term deal. It will cost A prominent player or two and rising minor leaguer,. but the time is now!,

No way that the FO agrees to adding a $7.5 million (salary next year) player to the roster unless they can trade off a lot of salary for next year (no, I'm not talking about guys like Kotalik, Connolly, Max or Spacek, who will be UFAs.) They'd have to get rid of Tallinder and Hecht (or Pommer.) I'm not sure who would be our second-line center. Wouldn't be Connolly; too expensive. Kennedy, maybe? Don't see it happening.

I'd take Todd White. Some have mentioned Marty Reasoner. Christensen is rumored to be on the block -- may turn into a good winger/center and is a heck of a faceoff guy.

No way that the FO agrees to adding a $7.5 million (salary next year) player to the roster unless they can trade off a lot of salary for next year (no, I'm not talking about guys like Kotalik, Connolly, Max or Spacek, who will be UFAs.) They'd have to get rid of Tallinder and Hecht (or Pommer.) I'm not sure who would be our second-line center. Wouldn't be Connolly; too expensive. Kennedy, maybe? Don't see it happening.

I'd take Todd White. Some have mentioned Marty Reasoner. Christensen is rumored to be on the block -- may turn into a good winger/center and is a heck of a faceoff guy.

There is a slim if any chance of this deal happening, but the money he is due should not be the reason it doesn't. They will give some salary back, depending on who they trade, and obvioulsy someone like Tallinder would be included. Spacek, Connelly, Max will be off the payroll next year as will somone like Kotalik to bring in younger forwards. It can happen money wise, just doubt that Darcy will have tha kahones or Atl makes the move, but....possibility exists.........

There is a slim if any chance of this deal happening, but the money he is due should not be the reason it doesn't. They will give some salary back, depending on who they trade, and obvioulsy someone like Tallinder would be included. Spacek, Connelly, Max will be off the payroll next year as will somone like Kotalik to bring in younger forwards. It can happen money wise, just doubt that Darcy will have tha kahones or Atl makes the move, but....possibility exists.........

Of those, only Tallinder helps. In my calculations, I have already assumed the others will be gone (thus, my "no, I'm not talking about ...") Most of the salary for those players is already eaten up by raises for Pommer and Miller that will kick in next year.

If we were to:

- Start with players under contract for next year (7 forward, 4 defensemen and 2 goalies for $41.8 million in salary)

- Trade for Kovalchuk

- Let all five UFAs (Connolly, Kotalik, Max, Teppo and Spacek) walk

- Call up Gerbe, Kennedy, Butler and Weber

- Re-sign Sekera and Stafford (rough guess of $4 million combined, could be more, probably not much less)

- Fill remaining forward slots by re-signing cheap guys like Mancari, Kaleta, Ellis and/or Peters (2-3 for 13-14 forwards)

then our cap hit would be about $55.8 million and our salary would be about $57.5 million. That's an increase in the internal budget of about $5 million and Jochen Hecht would be our starting second-line center. If we trade away Tallinder and either acquire or callup a cheap defenseman, that would save a little over $2 million in salary. That's still a $3 million increase in the budget and Jochen Hecth would still be our second-line center. Like I said, the only way that it comes close to working is if we trade away Tallinder and Hecth, making Kennedy or Gaustad our second-line center. I'd much rather put money into signing another center. Give me Todd White at $2.5 million for two more years or find one on another team.

If we are going to raid the Thrashers roster, I'd go after Bryan Little, Rich Peverly, or Colby Armstrong. Armstrong I think is on the trading block, so there's a good shot of getting him. I'm quite certain the Thrashers will not trade Little at all. Bryan Little is an absolute stud at only 21 years of age. Most people don't know about him since the Thrashers suck, but seriously, this dude is the real deal and has provided the Thrashers with legitimate secondary scoring beside Kovalchuk. Peverly is possible as they only picked him up on waivers, but ever since they picked him up, Kovalchuk has been on fire with Peverly as his centerman, so I don't see them trading Peverly as he's only 25. I think Todd White and Mary Reasoner could be had, but the Sabres have enough 3rd and 4th line centerman. I think the Sabres need a top six forward who can play left wing on the second line with Pominville and either Connolly or Roy. Hecht is not the answer and having him on the third line focused on defense may be the best thing to do with him right now.

If we are going to raid the Thrashers roster, I'd go after Bryan Little, Rich Peverly, or Colby Armstrong. Armstrong I think is on the trading block, so there's a good shot of getting him. I'm quite certain the Thrashers will not trade Little at all. Bryan Little is an absolute stud at only 21 years of age. Most people don't know about him since the Thrashers suck, but seriously, this dude is the real deal and has provided the Thrashers with legitimate secondary scoring beside Kovalchuk. Peverly is possible as they only picked him up on waivers, but ever since they picked him up, Kovalchuk has been on fire with Peverly as his centerman, so I don't see them trading Peverly as he's only 25. I think Todd White and Mary Reasoner could be had, but the Sabres have enough 3rd and 4th line centerman. I think the Sabres need a top six forward who can play left wing on the second line with Pominville and either Connolly or Roy. Hecht is not the answer and having him on the third line focused on defense may be the best thing to do with him right now.

The Atlanta GM would be the biggest idiot in the world if he was actually willing to give up Bryan Little. Dude has SKILLS, and a hard shot to match them. I shudder to think what we would have to give up to attain Little. Armstrong, on the other hand, we should be willing to haggle for.

don waddell has said time and time again, that he aint trading kovalchuk (he is 25). besides, he isnt what the sabres need. they need an another stafford . did you see stafford play last night? best player on the ice for either team.

waddell is also keeping all his young players. they are going young down there.

don waddell has said time and time again, that he aint trading kovalchuk (he is 25). besides, he isnt what the sabres need. they need an another stafford . did you see stafford play last night? best player on the ice for either team.

waddell is also keeping all his young players. they are going young down there.

Wait a second. So you're saying that the Sabres should only be looking for players that are carbon copies of Stafford? I can hear that conversation between front offices right now...

Darcy: "Sorry, no, we don't want Kovalchuk. He isn't enough like Drew Stafford."

Waddell: "But all I want is a 5th rounder."

Darcy: "Nope, we're looking to build a team of Staffords, and Kovalchuk ain't Stafford."

I think Todd White and Mary Reasoner could be had, but the Sabres have enough 3rd and 4th line centerman.

I thought White was at least a second-line center. He's back to his production levels from his years in Ottawa (on pace for 21G, 48A, 69P) and is 51% on faceoffs. He's got 10 PP goals. The -10 is concerning, but ... well ... he plays for the Thrashers.

Edit: I don't know who is playing the pivot (White or Little), but I just read that he is playing on a line with Kovalchuk and Little.

I thought White was at least a second-line center. He's back to his production levels from his years in Ottawa (on pace for 21G, 48A, 69P) and is 51% on faceoffs. He's got 10 PP goals. The -10 is concerning, but ... well ... he plays for the Thrashers.

When it comes to the Thrashers' +/- numbers, they can basically all be dumped on Kari Lehtonen and Johan Hedberg. The goaltending is just brutal.

Archived