Sabres should be selling this trade deadline not buying.

deluca67

I think that the only way the Sabres should be selling on the run in to the trade deadline is to ditch some of the dead wood that they have in the hope that they get something remotely useful for it.

I will be shocked if Afinogenov gets any interest or brings any returm and utterly astounded if he's playing anywhere other than Russia next year.

Kotalik might be worth some teams taking a look and Tallinder is a decent puck-moving D if a team picks up an injury between now and March 4th. Paille & MacArthur seem like dime-a-dozen players in the NHL and are not worth hanging onto if a decent deal is there.

I would not be looking to move any of Vanek, Roy Pominville, Stafford, Miller, Rivet, Gaustad or Lydman unless the Sabres were to win massively on any deal (which just is not going to happen).

I don't see any Zubrus type deals going down as I don't think this team is close enough to be a contender yet to be worth making any big changes.

The world could be totally different in a month.

I don't see why they couldn't make a run....

I don't see a dominant team in the East that is a lock in any 7 game series.

At the same time, I don't see any team in the East having the upper hand in the Finals against the likely teams from the West.

Honestly, I really don't know what to expect from the end of this season. My expectation is to make the playoffs and lose in the first round. Neither just missing the playoffs nor winning on round would surprise me too much, though. I'd like to see a move or two without mortgaging the future to solidify at least making it. If we could get somebody that could help us in the future (i.e., not too old and under contract beyond this summer), too, that would be even better (and worth spending more on.)

It's possible, but with nothing else in the system any time soon, I don't see it happening.

Youre right..If they were willing to hold on to Biron and then trade him for the garbage they got in return far be it to think they would move a minor league goalie for a player that can help them now

It's possible, but with nothing else in the system any time soon, I don't see it happening.

Yep. If I'm Darcy the only way I include Enroth in a trade is if it is a blockbuster-type deal. It has to blow me away.

Um....Washington with a healthy Overchkin and NJ with a healthy Brodeur are easy locks over the Sabres in a 7 game series.

If the Sabres make the playoffs and win a round it will be a huge upset no matter who they play. This team doesn't do anything particularly well and they don't have a Hasek to carry them. The Sabres will be huge underdogs against any of the top four teams and rightfully so. I don't see the Sabres stealing a series. They only way they make it out of the first round if they get there is if the other team lays down and gives it to them like Atlanta did to the Rangers a couple of seasons ago.

If the Sabres make the playoffs and win a round it will be a huge upset no matter who they play. This team doesn't do anything particularly well and they don't have a Hasek to carry them. The Sabres will be huge underdogs against any of the top four teams and rightfully so. I don't see the Sabres stealing a series. They only way they make it out of the first round if they get there is if the other team lays down and gives it to them like Atlanta did to the Rangers a couple of seasons ago.

Huge underdogs to the Flyers with their goaltending?

Sorry if this has been mentioned -- I didn't read through the entire thread. I was pretty tired and maybe heard wrong, but I believe during a recent between periods interview Darcy strongly suggested any moves at the deadline would be focused on the future, not the short term. In other words, let's move the brass ring out a little farther in time. We suckers will keep reaching for it. Not that I disagree with the approach right now. The Sabres aren't a player or two away. Since the middle of that road trip out West, the Sabres have really taken a step back, and the injury to Vanek is huge. It feels like they're going to go down to the wire and drop out of contention at the end. I don't see this time (edit: or this team) moving up the standings. Last night, unfortunately, was not an aberration.

"Sabres should be selling this trade deadline not buying."

Bull$hit! Looks like you already gave up Deluca!! Remember '99? Team only had Hasek and Peca for "name players" and was 1 game away from forcing a game 7 in the SCFinals. Darcy needs to make some shrewd moves, make the playoffs and then anything can happen. Looks like your glass is always "half empty", huh?

hasek might be the best goalie to ever play in the national league. so that team was different. but you are right, anything can happen. if they get a good draw and catch some breaks, etc etc. but all in all, the team is VERY inconsistant. it is week mentally and soft up the middle (other than gaustad). rivet cant carry the rearguards - can hey? logicically, they would get killed by the wings or caps. those teams are machines with every aspect covered. nothing better than playoff hockey...

"Sabres should be selling this trade deadline not buying."

Bull$hit! Looks like you already gave up Deluca!! Remember '99? Team only had Hasek and Peca for "name players" and was 1 game away from forcing a game 7 in the SCFinals. Darcy needs to make some shrewd moves, make the playoffs and then anything can happen. Looks like your glass is always "half empty", huh?

I was just clicking back and forth between the NYI vs. NYR game, and the MTL vs. WSH game, and I'm not seeing anything there better than what our team is offering. Depending on where the Sabres end up in the conference we could make it to the second round. After that I'm not so sure - we'll see in a month or so what it all looks like.

look, if lindy can get this rat pack into the playoff, he could make some hay. look at this man's coaching career:

Coaching Record

Team Year Regular Season Post Season

G W L T OTL Pts Finish W L Win % Result

BUF 1997?98 82 36 29 17 - 89 3rd in Northeast 10 5 .667 Conference Finalist

BUF 1998?99 82 37 28 17 - 93 4th in Northeast 14 7 .667 Stanley Cup Finalist

BUF 1999?00 82 35 32 11 4 85 3rd in Northeast 1 4 .200 Conference Quarter-Finalist

BUF 2000?01 82 46 30 5 1 98 2nd in Northeast 7 6 .538 Conference Semi-Finalist

BUF 2001?02 82 35 35 11 1 82 5th in Northeast - - -

BUF 2002?03 82 27 37 10 8 72 5th in Northeast - - -

BUF 2003?04 82 37 34 7 4 85 5th in Northeast - - -

BUF 2005?06 82 52 24 - 6 110 2nd in Northeast 11 7 .611 Conference Finalist

BUF 2006?07 82 53 22 - 7 113 1st in Northeast 9 7 .563 Conference Finalist

BUF 2007?08 82 39 31 - 12 90 4th in Northeast - - -

BUF 2008?09 54 28 20 - 6 62 - - - -

Total 845 413 309 78 47 949 52 36 .591

vERY VERY impressive. lindy is a playoff guy --- lets see DR give him a few tools to work with now ...and this club could get a crack at playing the caps for the conf championship.

I was just clicking back and forth between the NYI vs. NYR game, and the MTL vs. WSH game, and I'm not seeing anything there better than what our team is offering. Depending on where the Sabres end up in the conference we could make it to the second round. After that I'm not so sure - we'll see in a month or so what it all looks like.

Youre right..If they were willing to hold on to Biron and then trade him for the garbage they got in return far be it to think they would move a minor league goalie for a player that can help them now

Didn't the Sabres get the first pick of the second round from Philadelphia (a non-playoff team that year) for Biron, who was set to become an UFA.

How is that a bad deal again?

Archived