Mike Milbury calls Connolly "self-centered little dink"

Two or less

NESN has always been awful. If he was any good, he'd have a different job right now than what he's doing.

Milbury has at least two other gigs besides NESN.

He sits in on the HNIC intermissions and I believe he was on NBC arguing with Pierre McGuire about fighting a couple of weeks ago.

Poor GM, but he sure had some tremendous talent on Long Island to squander.

A balls move to acquire Yashin.

That was probably his biggest gaffe. It cost him his job after a long run with a long leash from whoever was the owners of NYI at the time.

He also had a decent run with the Bruins as coach. They went to the finals once and lost to Muckler's Oilers.

So...tune in to see him strangle Al Strachan sooner or later on the 'hot stove', 2nd intermissions on HNIC.

It is entertaining...at the least.

I'm not a Milbury fan. That said, is anyone else interested in why he said that? I wish WGR or someone would contact him for a followup interview. He had to have based that comment on something. I'm not saying it was justified. I'm just interested in why he said it.

word.

I have little respect for announcers on public tv/radio that show no respect. How many people have called Milbury a prick on air out during his hockey careeer?

Connolly's play down the stretch is going to cause DR & LQ to lose sleep at night come this summer. Connolly will probably not want to sign a long term contract this summer. He has no leverage for a big deal because of all the injuries over the last 3 years. I could see him looking to sign a 1 year deal to stay with the Sabres and hope for a breakout season where he can avoid the injury bug, but how much will they offer him? 1 year 3 mil? More? Less? Forget about him no matter how the rest of this season plays out?

Unfortunately, the "forget about him" option means the Sabres need to go out and get a #2 center via FA or trade. Is DR going to get it done?

It's a hell of a situation, isn't it? :unsure:

Are you saying that Connolly wants to do the one year deal to show how good he can be for over 70 games, thus earning him something like $7 million a year somewhere?

The only problem I have with this is that Connolly is taking a chance, also. What if he misses 35 games next year. What will he do then? Sign another one year deal? I would think he has to be careful too.

If you offer him four years at $16 he might take it. Or even alittle higher. I'd even say 5 for $25 million. It would be a gamble for both sides but it seems resonable.

Are you saying that Connolly wants to do the one year deal to show how good he can be for over 70 games, thus earning him something like $7 million a year somewhere?

The only problem I have with this is that Connolly is taking a chance, also. What if he misses 35 games next year. What will he do then? Sign another one year deal? I would think he has to be careful too.

If you offer him four years at $16 he might take it. Or even alittle higher. I'd even say 5 for $25 million. It would be a gamble for both sides but it seems resonable.

You would be comfortable with a $4-to-$5 million cap hit for a guy that has missed what, 55 percent of his team's regular season games since the lockout, based on what may turn out to be nothing more than a hot streak after his latest injury?

You would be comfortable with a $4-to-$5 million cap hit for a guy that has missed what, 55 percent of his team's regular season games since the lockout, based on what may turn out to be nothing more than a hot streak after his latest injury?

I really think he is a special player. It just kills me to think he will go play for another team.

Ya know, if it turns out he can stay healthy, he will be one hell of a steal at that price. You don't let players like that walk if you can help it.

But I understand the other side. He could be knocked out of the league Wednesday. And getting stuck paying for a guy that isn't playing would be a real f**k. But I just think I'd make the deal

I really think he is a special player. It just kills me to think he will go play for another team.

Ya know, if it turns out he can stay healthy, he will be one hell of a steal at that price. You don't let players like that walk if you can help it.

But I understand the other side. He could be knocked out of the league Wednesday. And getting stuck paying for a guy that isn't playing would be a real f**k. But I just think I'd make the deal

I don't know the specifics, but for some reason I think that if we re-signed TC and he had to retire in the first year of his new contract due to injury, we wouldn't be hit as hard cap-wise. It would probably hurt more to re-sign him and watch him do his "15 games in the lineup, 15 games out" shuffle.

If he stays healthy and productive the rest of the year I'm not against re-signing him at a short-term, very cap-friendly number, but I just can't get on board with throwing him a long-term deal with buttload of money and relying on him to be healthy and productive for three, four, five years.

I don't know the specifics, but for some reason I think that if we re-signed TC and he had to retire in the first year of his new contract due to injury, we wouldn't be hit as hard cap-wise. It would probably hurt more to re-sign him and watch him do his "15 games in the lineup, 15 games out" shuffle.

If he stays healthy and productive the rest of the year I'm not against re-signing him at a short-term, very cap-friendly number, but I just can't get on board with throwing him a long-term deal with buttload of money and relying on him to be healthy and productive for three, four, five years.

I respect that. I can't argue with your logic

Agreed. Yeah, he does seem to have a lot of talent, possibly exceptional, but he does you no good if he's injured. I still say that it is far worse to sign him and have him get injured again than it is to let him walk, sign someone else (even someone not as exceptional) and have him stay healthy on another team. At the 14 game mark, that's not a risk that I would take. At the 42 game mark or, better, after the playoffs, if he has stayed healthy, I would be far more amenable to dealing with him.

You're willing to throw away another $25 million on top of the $15 or so million the Sabres have already wasted on him? There has been a lot insane posts on this board, I know I write most of them, this has to be the craziest post of all time. Connolly is healthy for what? 14 games? And you're willing to cripple this franchise financially over the next five years? That is "reasonable" to you? You don't chase wasted money with more money. Connolly is like a slot machine. You keep pouring money into him and he pays off a little here and there. By the end of the night all your money is gone.

The plan for Connolly is simple. Offer him a low value contract near the league minimum. That way, when he goes out again it doesn't hurt you. If not, you send him packing. Hopefully Connolly will still be in the lineup come the trade deadline. If a team comes calling and is willing to give up a roster player and a pick the Sabres need to take it and run like they just sold a car with a crack in the engine block.

Four years $16 million? Five years $25 million? I guess Connolly isn't the only one with a history of concussions? :wallbash:

You're willing to throw away another $25 million on top of the $15 or so million the Sabres have already wasted on him? There has been a lot insane posts on this board, I know I write most of them, this has to be the craziest post of all time. Connolly is healthy for what? 14 games? And you're willing to cripple this franchise financially over the next five years? That is "reasonable" to you? You don't chase wasted money with more money. Connolly is like a slot machine. You keep pouring money into him and he pays off a little here and there. By the end of the night all your money is gone.

The plan for Connolly is simple. Offer him a low value contract near the league minimum. That way, when he goes out again it doesn't hurt you. If not, you send him packing. Hopefully Connolly will still be in the lineup come the trade deadline. If a team comes calling and is willing to give up a roster player and a pick the Sabres need to take it and run like they just sold a car with a crack in the engine block.

Four years $16 million? Five years $25 million? I guess Connolly isn't the only one with a history of concussions? :wallbash:

Due to his injury history, I'd expect the cost for the Sabres to get an insurance policy on Connolly would be rather expensive, but IF the Sabres could get that at a reasonable cost, I'd CONSIDER offering him $16MM over 4 years provided he makes it through February in 1 piece and still on his ppg pace. I'm not as concerned about cap implications of a new contract for him as I am cash out of pocket. An insurance policy would make signing him much less risky from that perspective.

The other issue is, I'd still want them to find another centerman that could handle time on 1 of the top 2 lines if necessary. Or have a reasonable contingency plan for how they make it work w/out Timmy in the lineup if he is in fact re-signed. The reasonable contingency plan in the face of a 20 game season isn't there currently. It would be a necessity moving forward.

Btw, how are you coming up w/ $15MM wasted on him? He'll have made ~$8.9MM over the life of the current deal.

Due to his injury history, I'd expect the cost for the Sabres to get an insurance policy on Connolly would be rather expensive, but IF the Sabres could get that at a reasonable cost, I'd CONSIDER offering him $16MM over 4 years provided he makes it through February in 1 piece and still on his ppg pace. I'm not as concerned about cap implications of a new contract for him as I am cash out of pocket. An insurance policy would make signing him much less risky from that perspective.

The other issue is, I'd still want them to find another centerman that could handle time on 1 of the top 2 lines if necessary. Or have a reasonable contingency plan for how they make it work w/out Timmy in the lineup if he is in fact re-signed. The reasonable contingency plan in the face of a 20 game season isn't there currently. It would be a necessity moving forward.

Btw, how are you coming up w/ $15MM wasted on him? He'll have made ~$8.9MM over the life of the current deal.

I was estimating the total dollars the Sabres paid out since 2001 when he joined the team. I believe he was a million plus player when they traded for him. I am pretty sure they have paid him somewhere between $12 and $15 million.

To your "other issue", I just don't see the point of bringing him back if you have to bring in another center to cover for him. With money going to Connolly that would reduce the amount that would be available to sign another center. Even without Connolly there was plenty of talk earlier in the year that the Sabres wouldn't have a lot of money available to bring in players once the Miller and Pominville extensions kick in.

The Sabres signing Connolly to an extension would be worse than Bills re-signing Jouron.

Archived