[OT] 2008-2009 World Juniors

fiftyone

Has anyone seen any of the World Juniors so far? If so, what do you think? Who stood out to you?

Here are just some of my thoughts from what I've seen (not much, but caught all of the Canada-US game).

I'll start out by saying that game was one of the most exciting hockey games i've seen in a while. I found myself rooting for Canada just because they were so exciting with the puck. I turned the game on hoping that the US would win, but by the end of the game I enjoyed seeing Canada play.

From Canada, some players that I was impressed by:

Jordan Eberle: He's going to be something one day. Edmonton has a bright future ahead of it with him. Very calm with the puck, but shifty and can make defenders miss. Looks like the real deal.

Zack Boychuck: Also looks to be a special player. Drafted in the middle of the first round by the Canes last season, seems to be very creative in the offensive zone.

Cody Hodgson: Vancouver's got a good one here. Seems to be a very complete player and very poised. Works hard and has good hands.

Ryan Ellis: Wow. This kid is unreal. Only 17 (correct if i'm wrong) and looks like he's a vet. Extremely calm with the puck. Canada's youngest defenseman, but possibly the best already (hickey was very good as well.) Ellis is projected to be a mid first-round pick this season. If continues on the path he is on now, he'll be a stud one day.

Tyler Ennis: Didn't see too much from him, but one thing I did notice is that he seemed to win battles. He is a small player, but wasn't pushed off the puck easily at all. He could keep control of the puck along the boards while battling the defenseman and then create space to make a pass. Plays bigger than he is.

Colin Wilson of the U.S (drafted by Nashville) looks like a solid player too. Bigger than many guys mentioned above, by with excellent skill.

Overall, I was most impressed with Eberle and Ellis. I hope we have a shot at drafting Ryan Ellis in June. We'll see.

What has everyone else seen so far of the WJC?

It sucks that the US team lost today (they are replaying it on a free-view on NHL Network starting right now.)

Tyler Ennis: Didn't see too much from him, but one thing I did notice is that he seemed to win battles. He is a small player, but wasn't pushed off the puck easily at all. He could keep control of the puck along the boards while battling the defenseman and then create space to make a pass. Plays bigger than he is.

I was just watching the Czech-Russia game and they were talking about how one of the big guys on the Czech team didn't go hard to the net like the guys from Canada like Ennis and (someone else that I didn't catch.) I wasn't expecting that. Pretty cool.

I just watched the replay of the Canada/Russia matchup. In terms of amazing finishes that has to rank up there in the top 5. Miracle on Ice is still number 1 though.

I watched alot of Myers and Ennis, and can see some promise in both.

I'm still hopefull that the Sabres made the right selection with Myers over Colten Tuebert. While Myers has a good reach he didn't seem to fair to well with quick forwards. He needs to work on his footwork too. Can easily get turned around with that big frame. Colten on the other hand seems to have that nasty streak in him and doesn't mind standing people up at the blue line.

Only time will tell. Overall though Canada is loaded with future studs. Elerbe, Tavares, PK Subban, Hodgson, Esposito, etc.

It would've been nice to see the US fair better then they did.

I watched alot of Canada-Russia last night. What a great, entertaining game. Frankly, alot more fun to watch than most NHL games.

Jordan Eberle may never score a more memorable goal in his life!

That was a great game, and lots of players impressed me, but that is prolly pretty easy to do. That PK Suppan looked mighty fast and skilled. Of course, Eberle looked great. I agree witht he earlier poster that Myers has got a ways to go, but did love the one one play where he was carrying the puck up ice at about center ice along the boards, some russion came up to meet him and play the body, and Myers just bowled over him.Left the Russian on the ground looking for the train :thumbsup:

I agree witht he earlier poster that Myers has got a ways to go, but did love the one one play where he was carrying the puck up ice at about center ice along the boards, some russion came up to meet him and play the body, and Myers just bowled over him.Left the Russian on the ground looking for the train :thumbsup:

Yeah, that play was great. Meyers just steamrolled that kid into the ice. He needs to add some more weight and embrace that part of his game. While he does skate well for a big guy, he isn't really fast or agile. However, when he sweeps his stick, he covers from the sideboards to the mid-line (not the red line, but halfway from sideboard to sideboard. He and his tall partner could sweep the whole width of the rink.

I'm still hopefull that the Sabres made the right selection with Myers over Colten Tuebert. While Myers has a good reach he didn't seem to fair to well with quick forwards. He needs to work on his footwork too. Can easily get turned around with that big frame. Colten on the other hand seems to have that nasty streak in him and doesn't mind standing people up at the blue line.

I'm cringing as I read this. I know only time will tell, but if the Sabres ended up passing on another tough as nails dman for a

big finesse guy as opposed to the usual small finesse guy, I'd be sick.

Colin Wilson of the U.S (drafted by Nashville) looks like a solid player too. Bigger than many guys mentioned above, by with excellent skill.

The kid is an absolute treat to watch at the college level. He outclasses just about everyone else on the ice, but instead of trying to show off, he continues to play a smart team game, especially in his own end. That kind of attitude can take someone a long way.

It sucks that the US team lost today (they are replaying it on a free-view on NHL Network starting right now.)

I was just watching the Czech-Russia game and they were talking about how one of the big guys on the Czech team didn't go hard to the net like the guys from Canada like Ennis and (someone else that I didn't catch.) I wasn't expecting that. Pretty cool.

46 shots on net, we just ran into a real hot goaltender and they missed the open net's when they had him beat, just wasn't meant to be our day.. I also enjoyed what i thought was very accurate and candid commentary in the games I watched(us/canada, us/slovs, can/russ)

I just watched the replay of the Canada/Russia matchup. In terms of amazing finishes that has to rank up there in the top 5. Miracle on Ice is still number 1 though.

I watched alot of Myers and Ennis, and can see some promise in both.

Only time will tell. Overall though Canada is loaded with future studs. Elerbe, Tavares, PK Subban, Hodgson, Esposito, etc.

It would've been nice to see the US fair better then they did.

Agree with that finish, wow 4.6 secs or something like that left and score the tieing goal, almost was a shame it had to go to SO instead of letting them play to a finish. Can't say the ref's were biased either Russia did seem to get allot of favorable penalty's throughout the game.

That was a great game, and lots of players impressed me, but that is prolly pretty easy to do. That PK Suppan looked mighty fast and skilled. Of course, Eberle looked great. I agree witht he earlier poster that Myers has got a ways to go, but did love the one one play where he was carrying the puck up ice at about center ice along the boards, some russion came up to meet him and play the body, and Myers just bowled over him.Left the Russian on the ground looking for the train :thumbsup:

That was an awesome play overall good plug for main difference between North american and Europeon hockey (yes I mis spelled it on porpoise)

The kid is an absolute treat to watch at the college level. He outclasses just about everyone else on the ice, but instead of trying to show off, he continues to play a smart team game, especially in his own end. That kind of attitude can take someone a long way.

Yep thats what I saw as well, good observation.. and still looking forward to sweden /Canada finals and possibly watch to a lesser extent Slovs/russia (just to see if that goalie is still hot or just had the best game of his life against the US, a Us/Russia battle would've been cooler for ratings)

I agree. I'm looking forward to seeing Colin Wilson and the BU Terriers in this year's Beanpot Tournament in Boston.

I was watching the Canada games to get a read on Tyler Myers. I'd like to see more of an edge to this game, but if he develops into a stay-at-home, solid defenseman I'll be happy.

I agree. I'm looking forward to seeing Colin Wilson and the BU Terriers in this year's Beanpot Tournament in Boston.

I was watching the Canada games to get a read on Tyler Myers. I'd like to see more of an edge to this game, but if he develops into a stay-at-home, solid defenseman I'll be happy.

I was suprised to see Myers on basically the 3rd pairing, but I could see why. He's still a raw talent that was a little off with his passes, but still fairly sound. As a defenseman on that crew all you really need to do is chip the puck along the boards, get it to the forwards and let them do the work. Ennis is extremely slick with the puck and works hard along the boards, but I he may have some trouble in the pro ranks due to his size. He hasn't made as big as an impact as the competition has stepped up.

Both Ryan Ellis and Jordan Eberle really stuck out to me from the Canadians both smart, tough young players.

I doubt the Sabres will be high enough in the draft to take Evander Kane, but he seems like he's in the mold of Dustin Brown/Jarome Iginla. Other favs: Jordan Schroeder (small at 5-8, but one hell of a wrister), Tomas Tatar (he's been scoring some big goals for the Slovaks), PK Subban (good offensively and defensively), and Jaroslav Janus (he was ridiculous against the US).

Yeah, that play was great. Meyers just steamrolled that kid into the ice. He needs to add some more weight and embrace that part of his game. While he does skate well for a big guy, he isn't really fast or agile. However, when he sweeps his stick, he covers from the sideboards to the mid-line (not the red line, but halfway from sideboard to sideboard. He and his tall partner could sweep the whole width of the rink.

Yeah I watched all of the Team Canada games and Meyers has a lot of potential.

And this has always been the best Hockey you can see all year.......... :beer:

I'm cringing as I read this. I know only time will tell, but if the Sabres ended up passing on another tough as nails dman for a

big finesse guy as opposed to the usual small finesse guy, I'd be sick.

After having lived through the Mike Wilson's and Richard Shmelik's on Defense one can only hope that Tyler can find a way to use his size to punish some people. The fact that we traded one spot up at the draft to get him while LA extored other picks from us and took Colten Tuebert leads me to believe that these guys will always be some what tied together. Colten has good size and from the games that I saw it didn't look like he took crap from anybody. Myers is still raw, so again, only time will tell.

Not sure if everyone saw this but here is a link to youtube of Tyler Myers and this Gerbe sized kid from Kazakhstan.

For the record... Lazorenko is 5'4, while Myers is 6'8. Hopefully Lindy and Darcy haven't seen this video.

Not sure how to embedd the video. Maybe someone else can do that.

After having lived through the Mike Wilson's and Richard Shmelik's on Defense one can only hope that Tyler can find a way to use his size to punish some people. The fact that we traded one spot up at the draft to get him while LA extored other picks from us and took Colten Tuebert leads me to believe that these guys will always be some what tied together. Colten has good size and from the games that I saw it didn't look like he took crap from anybody. Myers is still raw, so again, only time will tell.

Not sure if everyone saw this but here is a link to youtube of Tyler Myers and this Gerbe sized kid from Kazakhstan.

For the record... Lazorenko is 5'4, while Myers is 6'8. Hopefully Lindy and Darcy haven't seen this video.

Not sure how to embedd the video. Maybe someone else can do that.

So, because Myers is big, he can't get knocked over by a good solid hit? The kid was going forward, Myers turned back into him and he got knocked down? So what?

Myers was absolutely dominant against the Swedes in the GOLD MEDAL game which CANADA won again for the 5th straight year. Myers is still maturing and will only get bigger in his mass. His potential is unlimited. His skill level and skating ability for someone his size, is unheard of. If he gets even a little nastiness, then watch out.

He is no Mike Wilson.

So, because Myers is big, he can't get knocked over by a good solid hit? The kid was going forward, Myers turned back into him and he got knocked down? So what?

Yeah, there are entire martial arts based on using your opponent's energy against him, which is a lot of what happened here. He was cutting back meaning that his body wanted to continue going in the way that it was, but he was using the edge of the skates to steer that energy in another direction. A low hit from a small guy with energy of his own was enough to break contact of the skates with the ice, sending him flying. It's like hitting a patch of ice when going around a corner in a car; you go right off the outside of the turn.

Myers was absolutely dominant against the Swedes in the GOLD MEDAL game which CANADA won again for the 5th straight year. Myers is still maturing and will only get bigger in his mass. His potential is unlimited. His skill level and skating ability for someone his size, is unheard of. If he gets even a little nastiness, then watch out.

He is no Mike Wilson.

Since I didn't see any of the the tournament, I will take your word that he is not the 2nd coming of Mike Wilson. That being said, few players become more physical after they get to the NHL. Usuaully it's a case of what you see is what you get.

That being said, few players become more physical after they get to the NHL. Usuaully it's a case of what you see is what you get.

In general, you are correct. However, there are special circumstances in this case. Myers has said that, even in recent years, he has gone through many growth spurts, each requiring him to re-learn his body. It's hard to play a physical game when you are constantly tall and thin; you get knocked over too easily. Now that he is likely done growing vertically, he can fill out his frame. Reportedly, he has already added 20 lbs and is expected to put on significantly more over the next couple of years. He may find that he is able to play a more effective physical game than before and could learn to use that part more often. He probably doesn't have the personality to ever been a mean SOB type physical defenseman, but you may find his physical game is on a significantly different level when he gets to the NHL a couple of years down the road.

In general, you are correct. However, there are special circumstances in this case. Myers has said that, even in recent years, he has gone through many growth spurts, each requiring him to re-learn his body. It's hard to play a physical game when you are constantly tall and thin; you get knocked over too easily. Now that he is likely done growing vertically, he can fill out his frame. Reportedly, he has already added 20 lbs and is expected to put on significantly more over the next couple of years. He may find that he is able to play a more effective physical game than before and could learn to use that part more often. He probably doesn't have the personality to ever been a mean SOB type physical defenseman, but you may find his physical game is on a significantly different level when he gets to the NHL a couple of years down the road.

Players that size are pretty rare. I'd love to see how some of the other ones have developed. When did their build start to catch up to their height and what was their style of play throughout those years? I wish someone had the resources out there to answer a question like this.

Players that size are pretty rare. I'd love to see how some of the other ones have developed. When did their build start to catch up to their height and what was their style of play throughout those years? I wish someone had the resources out there to answer a question like this.

From what I've heard, Chara was more physical at this point his career, but not nearly as good a skater as Myers is. But, yeah, I wonder about any other extremely tall defensemen (say, 6' 6" or taller.)

From what I've heard, Chara was more physical at this point his career, but not nearly as good a skater as Myers is. But, yeah, I wonder about any other extremely tall defensemen (say, 6' 6" or taller.)

And how old were they when they became those tall freaks? If you hit a late growth spurt around 16 or 17, that really changes things I'm sure.

...that's the problem. The Sabres don't need skaters on this team. They need grit both in the forward ranks and the blueline.

Chris Pronger turned out ok ;) , but he came out of the vaginal canal 6 feet tall.

Archived