[OT] 2008-2009 World Juniors

fiftyone

...that's the problem. The Sabres don't need skaters on this team. They need grit both in the forward ranks and the blueline.

Yeah, but as Shrader asked, when did Chara get his height? If he was over 6'5" by the time he was 14, then it would expected that his physical game be better than someone who at 17 was still getting growth spurts.

Yeah, but as Shrader asked, when did Chara get his height? If he was over 6'5" by the time he was 14, then it would expected that his physical game be better than someone who at 17 was still getting growth spurts.

Since when do you have to be tall to be tough? ;) It all about the mental makeup of the player and nothing to do with height or weight.

Since when do you have to be tall to be tough? ;) It all about the mental makeup of the player and nothing to do with height or weight.

Like I said, he probably won't ever be a mean SOB, but being very tall and very thin, especially on skates, makes it very hard to be effective physically. No leverage. Those that grew later would, then, have a slower progressing physical portion of their game. I actually read that in juniors, Pronger was coveted for his speed, not his physical game.

As a side note, I've read several people not related to the Sabres state that Myers was one of the best players on the ice in the finals. They actually referred to him as a "machine" and a "beast", who was actually quite physical.

Like I said, he probably won't ever be a mean SOB, but being very tall and very thin, especially on skates, makes it very hard to be effective physically. No leverage. Those that grew later would, then, have a slower progressing physical portion of their game. I actually read that in juniors, Pronger was coveted for his speed, not his physical game.

As a side note, I've read several people not related to the Sabres state that Myers was one of the best players on the ice in the finals. They actually referred to him as a "machine" and a "beast", who was actually quite physical.

Myers played well, made some solid hits, ran over a guy or two and used his reach to be a very effective penalty killer........He is a good skater, and passes the puck very quickly up the ice.............during the tournament you could see his confidence grow and his passes were strong and on the money.

during the tournament you could see his confidence grow and his passes were strong and on the money.

That I totally agree with. Each time Myers skated up with the puck and into the zone you could tell that he really enjoed being on offense.

In my post from before I wasn't trying to say that Myers won't develop into what we would all like him to be. I was just saying that compared to the defensman that was taken 1 spot after Buffalo, it would seem that Myers will need more to develop before getting to the show. Now...I would also add to this that Myers also has more potential/upside then Colten Tuebert. I just liked the grit that Colten displayed during the the tourney.

Myers will be fine...Hopefully. :(

I agree with you guys about Myers. I really loved how he played in this tournament and think he showed a lot. He rarely made any mistakes. He destroyed a Russian with like 3 minutes to go in the semi-final. His shots kept going on net. He did all the good things and he played as good as someone could without getting on the scoreboard. Some people get a bit carried away with this statistics because like that Hickey kid and PK Subburn (or whatever his name is) both had great stats on offense, but both were garbage for Canada the entire tournament. Both made tons of mistakes and Hickey even was the captain. Myers rarely made mistakes. I think Ellis was by far their best d-men in this tournament, but Myers wasn't far behind.

However, i was VERY impressed with Tyler Ennis, as were the announcers. I tried to watch all the USA and Canada games and read some of the articles from Canada to try to keep tabs on Ennis and Myers. What impressed me most about Ennis was his grit. I know he was playing on the best team and against other kids, but he fought in every corner of the rink. Nobody ever got him off the puck. Ennis is a small player but he didn't play down to his size. I really do think we have a steal on our hands in Ennis. He may be a real good player. I know this is a very biased opinion so take it for what it's worth, but if i had to rate Canadian forwards, Ennis would be probably 4th or 5th best that i've seen. He was always consistent. He was always a threat for goal. In the Russia game he made two amazing moves which he was stopped by the goalie even Pierre Mcquire commented on one of his moves and said "wow, this kid has talent and amazing hands" or something like that. Ennis is a lethal goal scorer and the only knock he's had was can he play up to the NHL? If the WJC was any indication, he will do just fine.

I agree with you guys about Myers. I really loved how he played in this tournament and think he showed a lot. He rarely made any mistakes. He destroyed a Russian with like 3 minutes to go in the semi-final. His shots kept going on net. He did all the good things and he played as good as someone could without getting on the scoreboard. Some people get a bit carried away with this statistics because like that Hickey kid and PK Subburn (or whatever his name is) both had great stats on offense, but both were garbage for Canada the entire tournament. Both made tons of mistakes and Hickey even was the captain. Myers rarely made mistakes. I think Ellis was by far their best d-men in this tournament, but Myers wasn't far behind.

However, i was VERY impressed with Tyler Ennis, as were the announcers. I tried to watch all the USA and Canada games and read some of the articles from Canada to try to keep tabs on Ennis and Myers. What impressed me most about Ennis was his grit. I know he was playing on the best team and against other kids, but he fought in every corner of the rink. Nobody ever got him off the puck. Ennis is a small player but he didn't play down to his size. I really do think we have a steal on our hands in Ennis. He may be a real good player. I know this is a very biased opinion so take it for what it's worth, but if i had to rate Canadian forwards, Ennis would be probably 4th or 5th best that i've seen. He was always consistent. He was always a threat for goal. In the Russia game he made two amazing moves which he was stopped by the goalie even Pierre Mcquire commented on one of his moves and said "wow, this kid has talent and amazing hands" or something like that. Ennis is a lethal goal scorer and the only knock he's had was can he play up to the NHL? If the WJC was any indication, he will do just fine.

You might want to give a heads up to Pat Quinn who for some reason played Myers on the third pairing and Ennis on the fourth line in the last two games. Both players show good potential but let's not get carried away.

I'm not sure Ennis even got on the ice after the 10 minute mark of the third period against the Russians and he definitely didn't play in overtime.

You might want to give a heads up to Pat Quinn who for some reason played Myers on the third pairing and Ennis on the fourth line in the last two games. Both players show good potential but let's not get carried away.

I'm not sure Ennis even got on the ice after the 10 minute mark of the third period against the Russians and he definitely didn't play in overtime.

Who cares about the pairing dude? Myers played a lot, and the defense switched up a lot and if you noticed, he was always in the first pairing for penalty killing and there was a lot of penalty killing for Team Canada...........That shows something IMO

Archived