Who is the #2 scoring line center next year(or even right now)

LabattBlue

Knowing that Connolly won't even be around next year for his usual handful of games, who is going to take over as the #2 center? Please tell me it won't be another year of Hecht, and Zagrapan is on his way to another ho-hum year at the AHL level.

They are in desperate need of a playmaker who is thinking pass first, to pair with either Vanek or Pominville(or both). I think a case could even be made that Roy would be better off on LW which makes the "scoring center" position even look worse.

So what are you going to do DR?

[edited]

I know it has been a long time since the Sabres made a blockbuster deal(Hawerchuk or LaFontaine), but wouldn't Scott Gomez(I've brought him up before) fit the role perfectly? His salary is high(7+ cap number), but he is a good playmaker and is above average with face-offs.

The downside, they already have big bucks tied up at forward with Vanek, Pominville & Roy, do you want to add more, which then takes away money that needs to be spent on the blueline?

Knowing that Connolly won't even be around next year for his usual handful of games, who is going to take over as the #2 center? Please tell me it won't be another year of Hecht, and Zagrapan is on his way to another ho-hum year at the AHL level.

They are in desperate need of a playmaker who is thinking pass first, to pair with either Vanek or Pominville(or both). I think a case could even be made that Roy would be better off on LW which makes the "scoring center" position even look worse.

[edited]

I know it has been a long time since the Sabres made a blockbuster deal(Hawerchuk or LaFontaine), but wouldn't Scott Gomez(I've brought him up before) fit the role perfectly? His salary is high(7+ cap number), but he is a good playmaker and is above average with face-offs.

The downside, they already have big bucks tied up at forward with Vanek, Pominville & Roy, do you want to add more, which then takes away money that needs to be spent on the blueline?

I would not want Scott Gomez. He's small and grossly overpaid. Sure he's a good playmaker but we have enough small forwards on the team. Gomez had only 16 goals last year, and 13 the year before that. We need to improve our defensemen first and foremost.

Hecht is being overshadowed by Tallinder right now. Which is sad because I liked both of them, but now I think we need abit more outside influence besides Rivet.

Names like Weight, Guerin, Tkachuk, Holik, Recchi come to mind. Even if its just a year or two, these type of guys can anchor a young line with the likes of Paille, Stafford or any minimum salary prospect to mention. BTW, I like the Gomez idea!

I have harping on Goose alot, but his position/role needs to be upgraded with veteran talent I believe.

I would not want Scott Gomez. He's small and grossly overpaid. Sure he's a good playmaker but we have enough small forwards on the team. Gomez had only 16 goals last year, and 13 the year before that. We need to improve our defensemen first and foremost.

He is overpaid, but that is a fact of life in the NHL when it comes to talented players who hit FA. By the way, Gomez is not a goal scorer, never has been and is not what the Sabres need.

They need playmakers at center which is why the Connolly situation sucks so bad. He could fill that role IF....

I agree that the defense also is a priority especially in terms of toughness, yet the entire blueline outside of Sekera and Paetsch have been acquired via FA or trade and except for Lydman, Sekera and maybe Rivet, I could send them all packing tomorrow. They are spending a lot of money on the blueline and have little to show for it.

I wouldn't lose a minute of sleep if Tallinder, Spacek and Teppo were no longer Sabres at game time tomorrow. Bring a physical dman back in return, call up Weber and play Paetsch.

They are in desperate need of a playmaker who is thinking pass first, to pair with either Vanek or Pominville(or both). I think a case could be even made that Roy would be better off on LW which makes the "scoring center" position even look worse.

He is going to

1. Do nothing (likely)

2. Deal maybe a Hecht/Pominville/Roy/Gaustad and a Gerbe/Ennis/Prospect for a Briere/Drury type playmaker (not likely)

3. Sign Sundin (Bwahahaha)

3. Sign Sundin (Bwahahaha)

If the Sabres had continued their hot start and Golisano wanted to seriously make a cup run this year, I bet Sundin could have been convinced to sign with Buffalo considering the proximity to his former home of Toronto.

Alas, The Sabres are looking like pretenders instead of contenders, Golisano is more serious about his political dealings than he is about this hockey team and Buffalo probably looks like it is 1,000,000 miles away to Sundin. :D

On the Sabres current roster...position is vacant...please apply within.

On the farm and NHL-ready...position is vacant...please apply within.

If Timmy's price tag is a mere fraction of what it is this year, I wouldn't be surprised if they re-signed him. However, I think someone in the league will take a flier at him cause they are blinded by his skill and think that his injury problems might be better on other team. Zagrapan...can't really see him as a scoring center at the NHL level. However, they have Gerbe listed as a center on the Portland roster. So, perhaps he's the next one...although I thought he was drafted as a winger.

On the Sabres current roster...position is vacant...please apply within.

On the farm and NHL-ready...position is vacant...please apply within.

If Timmy's price tag is a mere fraction of what it is this year, I wouldn't be surprised if they re-signed him. However, I think someone in the league will take a flier at him cause they are blinded by his skill and think that his injury problems might be better on other team. Zagrapan...can't really see him as a scoring center at the NHL level. However, they have Gerbe listed as a center on the Portland roster. So, perhaps he's the next one...although I thought he was drafted as a winger.

:death:

I wouldn't lose a minute of sleep if Tallinder, Spacek and Teppo were no longer Sabres at game time tomorrow. Bring a physical dman back in return, call up Weber and play Paetsch.

I could not agree with that more, but substitute Lydman for Spacek. At least Spacek is serviceable on the PP.

As far as I know, Gerbe was a winger at BC and has been playing wing in Portland.

Yup. The best center that they have in Portland is Kennedy, who is actually listed as a winger. He has been centering Mancari (prior to callup) and Darche (started as Gerbe, but they swapped him onto the second line) on the first line. He's got 5 goals and 16 assist in 16 games, and is a good two-way center.

Yup. The best center that they have in Portland is Kennedy, who is actually listed as a winger. He has been centering Mancari (prior to callup) and Darche (started as Gerbe, but they swapped him onto the second line) on the first line. He's got 5 goals and 16 assist in 16 games, and is a good two-way center.

But also new to the position as he played wing at Michigan State.

I dont see the answer anywhere in the Sabres system now or in the next 3 yrs..They have to go get one..I cant believe they didnt do this past offseason and as everyday goes by and this rudderless teams sinks deeper and deeper I continue to be amazed they still havent...The only answer is they dont want one...

I dont see the answer anywhere in the Sabres system now or in the next 3 yrs..They have to go get one..I cant believe they didnt do this past offseason and as everyday goes by and this rudderless teams sinks deeper and deeper I continue to be amazed they still havent...The only answer is they dont want one...

Correct on all points!

Keep playing like they are and it might be John Taveras, although he may not be the Next One after all.

Like Stenbaro said, they have nobody coming up. Kennedy is projected as more of a checking line center and Ennis and Byron are probably years away if they are on the way. As I see it, the team needs a number one center and while Gomez would be perfect, I suspect they are looking for someone less costly. I hope Nylander isn't on their radar unless Max is going the other way.

I agree on everything except "they don't want one". How could they not want one? To me, the reason can only be budget-driven. They were at their budget limit and the only way they were going to afford a new top-2 center was if they were unable to unload some of their high-priced deadwood. They weren't able to do so -- most likely in Connolly's case because there were no takers, and in Max's case because Darcy didn't get an offer he felt was acceptable -- so they decided to stand pat and see how things would unfold.

Keep playing like they are and it might be John Taveras, although he may not be the Next One after all.

Like Stenbaro said, they have nobody coming up. Kennedy is projected as more of a checking line center and Ennis and Byron are probably years away if they are on the way. As I see it, the team needs a number one center and while Gomez would be perfect, I suspect they are looking for someone less costly. I hope Nylander isn't on their radar unless Max is going the other way.

Nylander would be an interesting stop gap. He is under contract for 3 more seasons(including this one) at 5.5, 5.5 & 3.0. The problem is that for those kind of dollars, you want production and Nylander just turned 36 in October. How much does he have left in the tank? If he has enough left for this year and next,I'd give up Max and a 4th round pick for him! He'd definitely fill the role of scoring center to complement Roy.

That being said, Nylander doesn't help in the faceoff circle where the Sabres could really use some help. Checked back a few years and I believe Nylander was in the high 40's each year.

I agree on everything except "they don't want one". How could they not want one? To me, the reason can only be budget-driven. They were at their budget limit and the only way they were going to afford a new top-2 center was if they were unable to unload some of their high-priced deadwood. They weren't able to do so -- most likely in Connolly's case because there were no takers, and in Max's case because Darcy didn't get an offer he felt was acceptable -- so they decided to stand pat and see how things would unfold.

They had plenty of cap space this year to go get one..As a matter of fact I really dont think one is gonna get the job done..I think they are 2 solid centers away from the playoffs...I really am beginnning to believe they dont want one..There were plenty of oppurtunites to get one and instead they move Hecht there.They really need to move either Paille or Stafford a rookie(Gerbe,Kennedy,Mancari) and either max or tallinder and go get a top line or number 2 line center and a larger than 6 ft defensman who hits..Those are our assets use em or lose em...

They had plenty of cap space this year to go get one..As a matter of fact I really dont think one is gonna get the job done..I think they are 2 solid centers away from the playoffs...I really am beginnning to believe they dont want one..There were plenty of oppurtunites to get one and instead they move Hecht there.They really need to move either Paille or Stafford a rookie(Gerbe,Kennedy,Mancari) and either max or tallinder and go get a top line or number 2 line center and a larger than 6 ft defensman who hits..Those are our assets use em or lose em...

Cap space isn't the relevant metric. This team has an internal budget that is appreciably below the cap. We can kid ourselves about cap space all we want, and we can criticize Golisano for not spending all the way to the cap (although I think that is silly and unrealistic), but our payroll ain't going much higher than it is right now -- and certainly not by the $5-$7 million it would cost to get a true #1 center.

Archived