I know you can't cherry pick statistics BUT...

LabattBlue

Take away those two duds at home(back to back 5-2 losses) and the Sabres have given up 15 goals in 10 games.

Very nice! :thumbsup:

The high forward getting back on the backcheck has been really key to the Sabres game.

It takes away the entire middle in transition.

Last year the forwards were always getting caught deep.

If this team can limit the odd man breaks....it can rack up a lot of points.

Defensive speed. What a concept!

Another nice stat, while cutting down immensely on goals against, the Sabres are only 3 goals behind were they were last year after 12 games. 5 goals behind if you subtract 2 team goals awarded for shootout victories.

I'm too lazy to look back. Were there any shootout victories last year in that 12 game span?

I must admit the last thing I expected out of this team this year was for them to become a shutdown defense. I figured it would be more of the same high scoring, high flying offense, with a better than average number of odd man rushes the other way. I like the physicality and the shot blocking. That is something that was sorely missing last year.

The high forward getting back on the backcheck has been really key to the Sabres game.

It takes away the entire middle in transition.

Last year the forwards were always getting caught deep.

If this team can limit the odd man breaks....it can rack up a lot of points.

Defensive speed. What a concept!

Great point. The back check is much better. There were so many 2 on 1 and 3 on 2 last year. They have cut down on that.

that's been apparent even to my relatively untrained eye (i'm an attentive fan, but an utter neophyte insofar as hockey x's and o's are concerned) -- and it's been vanek whom i've noticed most frequently in that role.

Archived