Anybody want to fire up the PP?

carpandean

boy, this little guy has some big hype surrounding him. If he comes up he better be ready to handle it. I hope the sabres take their time and let him develop.

Oh, I do too. I was kidding about firing up our PP. I just think it's cool that our prospects are doing well. He's tied for the lead in rookie scoring and Kennedy is fourth. I would love to see each in a game or two this season, but I do think that they should spend most of their time in the AHL this season.

I watched one of their games online and Gerbe does a lot that I like (very fast, puts the puck on net, not afraid of playing a physical game), but he needs to work on some of the other aspects of his game. He's not bad, but he could use a little time to work on them before coming up. Kennedy's actually a more complete player at this point.

boy, this little guy has some big hype surrounding him. If he comes up he better be ready to handle it. I hope the sabres take their time and let him develop.

Maybe I've been scorned and jaded too often in my personal life but I never have any expectations for the Sabres prospects. I'm excited to see them play but I never think that so and so player is the "one".

I watched one of their games online and Gerbe does a lot that I like (very fast, puts the puck on net, not afraid of playing a physical game), but he needs to work on some of the other aspects of his game. He's not bad, but he could use a little time to work on them before coming up. Kennedy's actually a more complete player at this point.

In his first couple of years at BC, Gerbe was the type who would do all of what you said, but then lose his cool or do something dumb to penalize his team. He seemed to play pretty cocky and took some (IMO) well-deserved shots for it. He definitely looked more mature last year, especially on the Frozen Four stage.

Here's hoping he stays level-headed in Portland and eventually in Buffalo. :beer:

Maybe I've been scorned and jaded too often in my personal life but I never have any expectations for the Sabres prospects. I'm excited to see them play but I never think that so and so player is the "one".

Maybe it is just the fact that he is small which gets him more press but I don't remember this much hype for Paille, MacArthur, Stafford, Roy, or Novotny, all of which were drafted multiple rounds higher. In regards to being the one, with exception of Vanek maybe, this label has been rarely given and certainly not to any above.

I've only seen highlights, but I really hope he lives up to it quickly. I'm afraid if he is not ready he'll be on a short (about 5'7") leash and feel he might not get a fair shot to grow like the rest of them. Hype can be a bad thing and hurt a young player's growth...ask bills qb losman.

Oh and I really really hope he lives up to it. He is my size 5'7" and I love to see when a short person makes it in sports.

Really? :blink: We all know the listing on the sites can be wrong, anyone know what he really is? Maybe 5'7" is with skates? :D

portland lists him 5'6"

He's been listed anywhere from 5'5" to 5'7", so I'd say 5'6" would be a good guess. He definitely looks significantly shorter than anyone on the ice, even guys like Derek Roy (5'9"). He's also stockier than a lot of short players, which adds to his squat look.

As far as hype, he and Kennedy both had great college careers, so there's at least some reason to think they have a chance to do well in the NHL (obviously, it's far from a guarantee and the minors are full of one-time college stars that did nothing in the NHL.) If they continue to light up the AHL, the hype will grow a little bit (but again, there are tons of guys that light up the AHL and can't do anything in "the bigs" -- Jody Gage syndrome.) With Gerbe, because he is so short, yet is fast and plays physically, it makes him fun to watch. If he does make it up, he will add something that we haven't seen, even with Roy and Briere. So, yeah, the hype will probably supersede him.

It should be noted, however, that unless something drastic happens, neither Gerbe nor Kennedy will spend nearly as much time in the NHL as Roy, Stafford or Vanek (excluding the 2004-05 lockout) did in their first seasons as professionals. Each of those guys played over half the season up in the NHL. These two will be lucky to play a couple of games this year, which should be better for their development.

Until he starts scoring more even strength goals and puts some minutes on the PK - Lindy won't even think about him.

I'm calling BS on this. If he keeps scoring like that, regardless of whether it's mostly on the PP, he will absolutely be the 1st forward called up.

I'm calling BS on this. If he keeps scoring like that, regardless of whether it's mostly on the PP, he will absolutely be the 1st forward called up.

I don't know about first. Clearly Mancari, who leads the team in "scoring" (points), and Zagrapan have more experience, but they have been passed up before. Kennedy plays a more complete, less one-sided, game and has 7 assists (and a goal), 4 on the PP.

Wildcat48 would probably know best (I added Gerbe's name to the title, in case he missed this thread.)

I don't know about first. Clearly Mancari, who leads the team in "scoring" (points), and Zagrapan have more experience, but they have been passed up before. Kennedy plays a more complete, less one-sided, game and has 7 assists (and a goal), 4 on the PP.

Wildcat48 would probably know best (I added Gerbe's name to the title, in case he missed this thread.)

Lindy Ruff has a quote from around opening night that says they will call up whoever is playing best. However, Gerbe is right now playing the best. Mancari does have 4 goals on the season but that also includes a hat trick. Gerbe does have all but one goal on the PP, but he flies on the ice and is getting chances. He leads the team in goals and i would bet anything he leads them in chances. If the Sabres needed to make a call right now, i would think i'd be Gerbe, because everyone has already seen Mancari and seen what he can do, while Gerbe is not only scoring goals, but also had 2 in Buffalo. And don't forget, a guy like Gerbe needs more space. In a smaller rink in the AHL, the PP is when the ice opens up, and where he plays very well. I think Gerbe is just one of those players who has more success on bigger ice.

Lindy Ruff has a quote from around opening night that says they will call up whoever is playing best. However, Gerbe is right now playing the best. Mancari does have 4 goals on the season but that also includes a hat trick. Gerbe does have all but one goal on the PP, but he flies on the ice and is getting chances. He leads the team in goals and i would bet anything he leads them in chances. If the Sabres needed to make a call right now, i would think i'd be Gerbe, because everyone has already seen Mancari and seen what he can do, while Gerbe is not only scoring goals, but also had 2 in Buffalo. And don't forget, a guy like Gerbe needs more space. In a smaller rink in the AHL, the PP is when the ice opens up, and where he plays very well. I think Gerbe is just one of those players who has more success on bigger ice.

I still think that Kennedy would have as good of a chance. He's playing really well; arguably better, or at least more completely, than Gerbe.

If we really do want someone to fire up the PP, Gerbe would be the obvious choice, but otherwise ...

I still think that Kennedy would have as good of a chance. He's playing really well; arguably better, or at least more completely, than Gerbe.

If we really do want someone to fire up the PP, Gerbe would be the obvious choice, but otherwise ...

Agreed. Kennedy has got a point in every game so far. Nobody will forget his coast to coast goal with Michigan State. One of my best friends went to college at MSU and i been up for a few games. Kennedy is an awesome player. I'm not sure how he's used right now in Portland, but at MSU he was an animal. He played PK, PP and was used as a left winger or a center. I really do think he'll be a good player. I used to also post alot on HF Boards and i got into one too many arguments there, because people call him a bum over there and say he'll never make the NHL and i lost my cool. The guy plays with so much heart each and every game. I have Fox Sports College at home so i've watched like 60% of all his games at MSU. Kid won't be a star but he'll be a solid player. Better then Daniel Paille, and Paille is one heck of a player.

I don't think the Sabres have any plan to call up any forward any time soon. Gaustad's back, the other center's will be back soon, the team is off to a decent start. Knock on a hockey stick - I hope not to see any of the young guys up much at all this season.

Agreed. Kennedy has got a point in every game so far. Nobody will forget his coast to coast goal with Michigan State. One of my best friends went to college at MSU and i been up for a few games. Kennedy is an awesome player. I'm not sure how he's used right now in Portland, but at MSU he was an animal. He played PK, PP and was used as a left winger or a center. I really do think he'll be a good player. I used to also post alot on HF Boards and i got into one too many arguments there, because people call him a bum over there and say he'll never make the NHL and i lost my cool. The guy plays with so much heart each and every game. I have Fox Sports College at home so i've watched like 60% of all his games at MSU. Kid won't be a star but he'll be a solid player. Better then Daniel Paille, and Paille is one heck of a player.

I believe that he is centering Mancari and Darche (before his injury) as the first line. Gerbe was moved to the second. He also plays on the PP (4 assists) and, I believe, the PK. All of which, is why I believe that he could be first call up. However, nobody (the poster known as) is correct in that they aren't likely to be calling anybody up soon.

I'd have to vote against calling Gerbe or anyone else up.

You've got to let Gerbe get some confidence building done in Portland. You pull this kid up and he doesn't play well in his first few games could really bring his confidence down. Give him time playing against the bigger guys, better goalies in the AHL.

IMHO, this worked with the guys we have now, like Sekera, when they're ready the coaches will know. Hopefully we won't need any of them all year.

Archived