GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

-Max doesn't seem to be making the dumb mistakes(drop passes that get intercepted, endless stickhandling, etc...) but at the same time is having no impact from an offensive perspective.

:thumbsup:

-I know it is "only" a few hundred seats, but 2 out of the first 3 games did not sellout. I hope they haven't overpriced the box office tickets.

My gut tells me this is due to last year'r teams performance, the Bills success and the spiraling down of the economy.

-Peters challenging Thornton and when Thornton skated away, 10-15 seconds later Peters takes a dumb penalty. Who was it that was trying to say they believe Peters can handle regular 4th line duty? He's a joke.

Thank you. I still haven't seen a legitimate reason as to why Peters is on this team.

-Max doesn't seem to be making the dumb mistakes(drop passes that get intercepted, endless stickhandling, etc...) but at the same time is having no impact from an offensive perspective.

He had one brain fart where he left a drop pass in the slot (should have shot), but besides that I thought he set up some nice shots for other players by hustling to the puck and and getting of quick, accurate passes.

-I know I said this after the preseason game but this shovel scraping of the ice is getting carried away. I can understand doing it around the goal, but now it alternates between the goals, around the boards and even in the neutral zone. These guys are getting more ice time than Peters!

One quick rant...How is it that the Sabres have a major bank name on the arena, but can't have that banks ATM machines inside. They may have some of the worst ATM's that I have ever used(the ones by the ticket office). You can hardly see the screen(bad angle), they are always slow and the interface is very 1970's like. Cut a deal with HSBC and replace ALL the ATM's both in the atrium and inside the arena.

Can I get an amen?

He had one brain fart where he left a drop pass in the slot (should have shot), but besides that I thought he set up some nice shots for other players by hustling to the puck and and getting of quick, accurate passes.

Can I get an amen?

amen. Max is controlling the puck and forcing the play with his speed and

setting up his peeps. He's doing well, playing smarter. The goals will come.

Thoughts from last night's game...

1. Miller stole the first point and earned the second one.. Great attacking move on Savard to seal the deal.

2. Vanek's move in the shoot out was pretty slick.

3. Roy and Pomminstein are struggling to find their O.

4. Two short handed chances, one great, Ellis, and the other Paille, so-so, have made the PK interesting this year.

5. Boston played their game from the get-go and dictated how the game went throughout. They forced the Sabres to play Boston's style.

6. After being dominated in the first, Buffalo caught them in SOG by the end of the game.

7. Rivet was everywhere last night making big play after big play. His addition to the Sabres line-up is a game-changer.

8. Love the attacking style of the PK this year. Last year they let teams pass it around and preferred to clog the middle. This year, they attack the puck.

9. Boston missed a couple of open net looks that could have salted the game away.

10. Stafford's goal was the product of hard work and he was rewarded.

Only thing's I might add ,

1.) Lindy mentioned this himself after may have been trying to be a little too cute with the puck(instead of just putting it on net and driving for the rebounds.

2.) I did not see the same level of Physicality against Boston as I have seen Bflo play in some other games especially in light of the B's on second of 2 nights.

Thank you. I still haven't seen a legitimate reason as to why Peters is on this team.

Lets hope when Goose is back that someone from the other lines takes his place as I think Ellis at least on PK has more to offer and should not be the one to sit.

-Stafford's goal was a thing of beauty...and 3 for 3 in the SO this year![/b]

I don't know if it has been mentioned here, but even when Vanek's not scoring, he's scoring. He played a huge role on this goal. He was driving hard to the net and Chara moved up towards him a bit. It opened up the front a bit so that Stafford could drive to the net.

I see the last two games as a good-news bad-news.

The Bad news is that when this team looks flat, they look awfully flat.

Good news is that this team can look awfully flat and still salvage points.

Miller looked sensational last night.

------------

Boston is an impressive team. They have good forward speed, don't take stupid penalties,

can clog up fast teams in the middle and are going to keep it close.

Watch out if they get a goaltender this year.

I see the last two games as a good-news bad-news.

The Bad news is that when this team looks flat, they look awfully flat.

Good news is that this team can look awfully flat and still salvage points.

Miller looked sensational last night.

------------

Boston is an impressive team. They have good forward speed, don't take stupid penalties,

can clog up fast teams in the middle and are going to keep it close.

Watch out if they get a goaltender this year.

That's a great point X, easy to overlook in our division.

They really gave Montreal fit's in the playoff's last year and a couple of their kids are really looking good and they have some good solid coaching over their as well. They will be in the chase all year...

Interesting thought: we are now 5 points ahead of where we were last year at the 6-game mark. We finished with 90 points last year, so if we play the same the rest of the season (36-28-12 last year), then we will have 95 points, which has been more than sufficient to make the playoffs in each of the three seasons that the W-L-OT scoring has been in place. I'm not getting cocky yet, because they could easily have a cold streak, especially if they keep starting games like the last two, but it shows you how important a good start can be. In the first six games of this season, they have already made up all the ground that they would have needed last year to make the playoffs. If they had lost the shootout to Montreal and not gotten the tying goals in the last two, they would be at the same place that they were last year. Winning (or at least tying) those close games is crucial.

Roy had a great game last night, imo.

Yeah i saw it the same way. I think last night and the opener vs. Montreal were his best games. Although, in the opener i think he was over looked for what he did because he did a beyond amazing job playing head to head against Montreal's top line. But i liked what he did in that game. Last night, with a bit of luck, could have been a multi-goal game for Roy. He was every where and was setting up. Against a tough defense like Boston that shows alot. Hopefully his game carries on.

Interesting thought: we are now 5 points ahead of where we were last year at the 6-game mark. We finished with 90 points last year, so if we play the same the rest of the season (36-28-12 last year), then we will have 95 points, which has been more than sufficient to make the playoffs in each of the three seasons that the W-L-OT scoring has been in place. I'm not getting cocky yet, because they could easily have a cold streak, especially if they keep starting games like the last two, but it shows you how important a good start can be. In the first six games of this season, they have already made up all the ground that they would have needed last year to make the playoffs. If they had lost the shootout to Montreal and not gotten the tying goals in the last two, they would be at the same place that they were last year. Winning (or at least tying) those close games is crucial.

And that includes a certain 10 game stretch that I don't feel like mentioning. It's a long season, but a quick start obviously helps. Hell, just look at where Ottawa would've been last year without their fast start.

I'm not sure you're allowed to call your own thoughts "interesting". But it was a good post.

Archived