Voices of the NHL: Rick Jeanneret

darksabre

I don't know if this is something new, but during NHL on the Fly this morning it caught my eye in the scrolling schedule at the bottom of the screen. Looks like it'll be a half hour show at 7:30pm, just in time to get pumped up for the 8:00 game @ Minnesota. btw, it also airs again at 10:30.

Hooray RJ!

Cool. If I had DVR or something I'd record it but I don't even have an old style VCR. I'll be able to make it home just in time for the game. After that control reverts back to the lady for Project Runway or some crap like that.

Cool. If I had DVR or something I'd record it but I don't even have an old style VCR. I'll be able to make it home just in time for the game. After that control reverts back to the lady for Project Runway or some crap like that.

Thanks for the tip! I just scheduled it on ALL THREE of my DirecTV DVR's from my computer here at work. Just rubbing it in, frisky!

Let me preface this by saying if they came to me and said, you're a match, Rick needs a kidney, I'd give it to him. I know it sounds weird, but the guy's like a member of my family. Always there.

But... Rick continues to tell a tall tale on the May Day goal, and I have to call him on it. He has always insisted "May Day" was a brain storm, that he couldn't have had it ready to go because May scored so few goals. But he had used "May Day" at least once during the regular season, after May scored an overtime winner IIRC. Still, an awesome call, and I'm not sure why Rick seems kind of defensive about it.

However, most of what followed May Day seemed to be scripted, and it started what for this fan was a disturbing trend of Rick trying to "manufacture" calls and make them memorable. He needs to be much more spontaneous, like back when he was cutting his teeth in the business. This preseason, he stopped the drawn-out "scoooooooooore" calls at home and it sounded great to me. But he's back to it. It takes a lot of the joy out of the call. And I could do without "oooooooooovertime."

My greatest fear, one that gnaws at me at night, when the wind is blowing and I can't sleep, isn't dying alone or a nuclear attack on the homeland, but a Cup-winning overtime goal at home with Jeanneret saying, "They scooooooooooooooooooooooore! Thomas Vanek drilled that one home, and the Sabres win it in ooooooooooooooovertime." Decent moment, terrible call. :)

The guy's still on top of his game -- his best work comes the other 99% of the time when a goal isn't being scored. I can't imagine Sabres hockey without him.

My greatest fear, one that gnaws at me at night, when the wind is blowing and I can't sleep, isn't dying alone or a nuclear attack on the homeland, but a Cup-winning overtime goal at home with Jeanneret saying, "They scooooooooooooooooooooooore! Thomas Vanek drilled that one home, and the Sabres win it in ooooooooooooooovertime." Decent moment, terrible call. :)

Fear not. I gotta believe that when you eventually hear that call, it will forever be burned into your soul as the greatest sound your ears ever had the pleasure of hearing.

I saw it last night after the Minnesota game on the NHL Network. I enjoyed it. Someone posted it earlier, but I, too, came away with more of an appreciation of Harry Neale. Personally, I still miss Jim Lorentz because he was so good and his analysis was excellent, but I'm beginning to like Neale a bit more these days. I think he's slowly, very slowly at that, becoming a Sabres broadcaster rather than an objective National broadcaster. I've noticed his comments this year have been a bit more Sabres slanted than last year, and I appreciate that, but he's by no means JL though, not yet.

Wild stung by quick Sabre strikes

"Then, in a shocking turn of events, the quick-strike Sabres scored twice in 46 seconds to force overtime. Then, 44 seconds into overtime, the only sound left to echo a stunned and silent Xcel Energy Center was the screaming voice of legendary Sabres announcer Rick Jeanneret."

:thumbsup:

Wild stung by quick Sabre strikes

"Then, in a shocking turn of events, the quick-strike Sabres scored twice in 46 seconds to force overtime. Then, 44 seconds into overtime, the only sound left to echo a stunned and silent Xcel Energy Center was the screaming voice of legendary Sabres announcer Rick Jeanneret."

:thumbsup:

lol hell yes!

• 2 months later...

Archived