Vanek, Vanek, Vanek that's alll I hear about :-)

deluca67

Vanek with 6 and Kotalik with 4 in 4 games. Vanek has been on fire, but Kotalik has been putting together a nice season in the final year of his contract. I know Kotalik is a lot of people's favorite whipping boy on this team, but honestly, I'd be okay keeping him over Connolly and Max if it came down to it at the end of the season. But of those three, my prediction is that Kotalik and Max leave and Connolly stays with a very low contract i.e. 1 year $1 million. Either way, Vanek with a great effort and great play both on defensive side to tip the puck and then to chase it, draw the penalty and then get the puck into the slot for the huge one timer by Kotalik.

I posted this in the Game Day Thread from last night. I would not be overly distraught if Kotalik is not kept at the end of the season like I was when neither Briere nor Drury were re-signed, but I'd like to keep Kotalik. He brings a big shot, very versatile and can play all three forward positions, good forechecker and plays the boards in the corners, and I think this year, he has improved his play in the defensive zone and backchecking. I think he'll hit 60 points with a 30-30 season. I'd like to keep Kotalik, but realistically, I don't see it happening, and I'm sure he'll get a contract worth way more than his play. But, I wouldn't be too surprised if he did take a hometown discount to stay in Buffalo, the only organization he's been with for basically the last 10 years. I'd like to keep him if it's like a 3 year $10 million deal.

I'd also like to keep Spacek if Tallinder gets traded or Teppo retires at the end of the season. And regardless of what happens to Teppo, I still believe we should trade Tallinder and re-sign Spacek. But that's my two cents.

I posted this in the Game Day Thread from last night. I would not be overly distraught if Kotalik is not kept at the end of the season like I was when neither Briere nor Drury were re-signed, but I'd like to keep Kotalik. He brings a big shot, very versatile and can play all three forward positions, good forechecker and plays the boards in the corners, and I think this year, he has improved his play in the defensive zone and backchecking. I think he'll hit 60 points with a 30-30 season. I'd like to keep Kotalik, but realistically, I don't see it happening, and I'm sure he'll get a contract worth way more than his play. But, I wouldn't be too surprised if he did take a hometown discount to stay in Buffalo, the only organization he's been with for basically the last 10 years. I'd like to keep him if it's like a 3 year $10 million deal.

I'd also like to keep Spacek if Tallinder gets traded or Teppo retires at the end of the season. And regardless of what happens to Teppo, I still believe we should trade Tallinder and re-sign Spacek. But that's my two cents.

This is pretty well said. I think its early to say Kotalik is going to continue his early season success. We have seen surges from him before. I don't see hiim as a core player and while he is a bargain now, he won't be if he is making over $3.5 million. Darcy made a point of talking about leaving the team flexibility and you can't have too many forwards locked up long term.

As for Spacek, I didn't see him staying even through this year, but now I am not so sure.

This is pretty well said. I think its early to say Kotalik is going to continue his early season success. We have seen surges from him before. I don't see hiim as a core player and while he is a bargain now, he won't be if he is making over $3.5 million. Darcy made a point of talking about leaving the team flexibility and you can't have too many forwards locked up long term.

As for Spacek, I didn't see him staying even through this year, but now I am not so sure.

What's not to be sure about? Spacek is a BIG part of the Sabres defenese and I hope Darcy can sign him to another 3 year contract.

Kotalik has impressed me especially because he has played really hard despite playing with Mair ... in the past he seemed to always take offense to not being on the top 2 lines and it showed in his play, and not in a good way. That is a REALLY strange line when you think about it, but it has actually been effective. Long term I don't think it works but ... if Max can play under control like he is, it's not hurting them for a couple weeks.

Interesting thread, especially since Kotalik was one of the top whipping boys around here all last year. My 2 cents: I like Al and what he brings, but I think he's best suited as what he is this year: a good 3rd line winger. I don't see Lindy moving him up to the top 2 lines, and I don't see Darcy paying $3 million per year for a 3rd-liner. I do think he'll have a good contract year this year and someone will give him something like $14 million for 4 years, which will be well above where we're willing to go, so he'll probably leave.

As for Spacek, I'm increasingly becoming convinced that we should extend him. He's not a clear #1 defenseman, but he's a good-to-very-good all-around defenseman, and reasonably physical too. Lindy has made Spacek and Sekera his top pairing in the past couple of games. OTOH, while I'm not that concerned about his age, I'm fairly concerned about his injury history. In his past 4 seasons, he's played 58, 76, 65 and 60 games. Not McKee or Connolly territory, but not rock-solid either. So I guess I'd extend him, but I'm not sure I'd give him (or that Darcy will give him) and long enough deal for it to be worth his while. If he has a really good year, someone could easily give him a 4-year, $20 million deal, and I don't see us coming close to matching that.

Kotalik has impressed me so far this year too. However, does anyone else think that it's a coincidence that he's also in a contract year. The past three years he's been nice having the big shot but his D is awful and he rarely gave 100%. I'd sign him to a 1 year deal.

Kotalik has impressed me so far this year too. However, does anyone else think that it's a coincidence that he's also in a contract year.

Please read the second to last page of yesterday's GDT. Topic is already being discussed.

The past three years he's been nice having the big shot but his D is awful and he rarely gave 100%. I'd sign him to a 1 year deal.

Why would he accept a one year deal?

Spacek will be 35 in February. Be careful before you hand him a 3 year deal.

Thats what all the critics said probably said about numinnen in dallas back in '03-04? 04-05? He proved he had plenty of gas left in the tank, just a few glitches with the heart, but who needs that...

Additionally, Spacek, I can see him resigning here, a 2 year contract worth monetarily less in the second year. However, I wouldn't be quick to cheer on that move. When he was the most veteran leader on the team (last season) they collapsed and missed the play-offs, therefore i tend to question his leadership abilities....

I am thinking, Now that Rivet is in the picture, does that make spacek even more expendable??

I think that question will answer itself through what happens this year with how spacek performs, his roll on the PP, the farm d-corp and how certain individuals perform and mature in that system, and most importantly how teppo feels and decides at the end of this season.

Archived