[OT] Pizza Delivery

inkman

My last delivery last night looked something like this.

That's a 10.5 mile round trip. With my 14 MPG (I know, get a more fuel efficient vehicle) truck, and gas @ $3.67 a gallon, I spent approximately $2.75 on gas. Dude gives me a 62 cent tip. I'm paid $7.15 an hour plus tips ( :rolleyes: ). It took me 20 minutes for the delivery. So, I was paid a total $2.98 ($2.36 hourly wage plus .62 tip) while spending $2.75 for a net total of 23 cents on the delivery. Thank you a#$^$#!e.

Please tip your pizza delivery guy, otherwise go pick it up yourself.

That's a 10.5 mile round trip. With my 14 MPG (I know, get a more fuel efficient vehicle) truck, and gas @ $3.67 a gallon, I spent approximately $2.75 on gas. Dude gives me a 62 cent tip. I'm paid $7.15 an hour plus tips ( :rolleyes: ). It took me 20 minutes for the delivery. So, I was paid a total $2.98 ($2.36 hourly wage plus .62 tip) while spending $2.75 for a net total of 23 cents on the delivery. Thank you a#$^$#!e.

As a former pizza delivery girl, I agree, and I always give at least $2 to the drivers that come to our house now. I usually made out pretty well with tips, but I think the fact that I was the "novelty" female driver had something to do with it.

Regardless, minimum $1 please.....

I understand your frustration, inky. Been there, done that on the giving and receiving ends.

In some people's defense, some do not know that they should tip as a courtesy. When I rented my first pad on my own, I didn't know to tip the pizza delivery guy. It was only after I went to a weekend Army Reserve drill that it was brought up in conversation. Ever since then, I have usually made it a point to tip - even when I was a student at RIT. (I later told some of my co-workers at Domino's Pizza in 1997 that I would tip even as a student living in the student apartments. They remarked that I was probably one of those rare students that tipped.)

I can't remember the last time I had a pizza delivered to the house. There has to be at least 10 pizzerias(or so it seems) within a 5-7 minute drive to our house.

That being said, $2 should be the minimum tip.

I can't have a pizza delivered to the house. I live at least 12 miles outside of the middle of town out in the sticks. I have to go and get it and bring it home.

That's about $2 worth of gas used up on that one trip alone.

We're down to $3.15 a gallon here in Ashland, Ohio. My brother in law is a teacher by day and a pizza delivery guy by night. He is always on the lookout for a smaller, more fuel efficient vehicle. Right now he drives some kind of VW. Maybe you should find something different to use (Wife's vehicle?) when you deliver Inky?

We're down to $3.15 a gallon here in Ashland, Ohio. My brother in law is a teacher by day and a pizza delivery guy by night. He is always on the lookout for a smaller, more fuel efficient vehicle. Right now he drives some kind of VW. Maybe you should find something different to use (Wife's vehicle?) when you deliver Inky?

I saw $2.99 out by Clear Lake, Iowa yesterday. Unfortunately, diesel prices aren't going down that much, and that's what's keeping the price of everything else up. Even the pizza joints have to get their inventories shipped in by truck.

Wait, you don't just round up to nearest dollar? :nana:

In general, I tip pretty well. Usually $2-$3 plus rounding up (for example, $15.10 -> $18.00, while $15.90 -> $19.00) and I only live 5 minutes tops from the pizza place (more often than not we pick up, but some nights you just don't want to go out.)

Well it's my 98 Dodge Dakota Sport or the 03 Honda Accord LX V6? My truck wins that one every time.

You mentioned the 14 MPG. On top of that, you probably have to factor in that your fuel economy goes down due to all of the traffic lights, etc.

You mentioned the 14 MPG. On top of that, you probably have to factor in that your fuel economy goes down due to all of the traffic lights, etc.

Well, I have calculated my MPG and normally it's between 18-19. Most websites that I could find have my truck @ 14 MPG for city driving.

I can't remember the last time I had a pizza delivered to the house. There has to be at least 10 pizzerias(or so it seems) within a 5-7 minute drive to our house.

That being said, $2 should be the minimum tip.

Same here. I think the last time in the last several years was when the wife was traveling on business and I had the little guy by myself. Then it's too hard to juggle him and the pizza box.

Rumor has it there are a couple under $3 around Cleveland - I saw an article that mentioned $2.99 somewhere on the west side and $2.93 somewhere else. Gas Buddy shows the low around us as $3.05.

I gave a 2 dollar something tip to a pizza guy and he had the never to say "thats it" to me. Lucky for him my friend was right next to me and tossed another dollar at him and slammed the door shut. We went back to check out the meal and it was wrong! Thats not the only time someone has complained about a tip either I had a chinese guy tell me that 3 dollars doesn't even cover his gas and he wanted more. Both places said free delievery too. In both areas I have lived they believe they should get at least 4 dollars or more and will say something to you.

I gave a 2 dollar something tip to a pizza guy and he had the never to say "thats it" to me. Lucky for him my friend was right next to me and tossed another dollar at him and slammed the door shut. We went back to check out the meal and it was wrong! Thats not the only time someone has complained about a tip either I had a chinese guy tell me that 3 dollars doesn't even cover his gas and he wanted more. Both places said free delievery too. In both areas I have lived they believe they should get at least 4 dollars or more and will say something to you.

Interesting. I always give a smile and a "have a good night". I've never said anything to anyone about how much they tip. If someone said something to me about how much I tip, I would go #%^$#! house.

Inkman, i feel ya. I have had a stroke of luck lately and havent had many crap tips when i deliver, or if i do, i get a few big ones to balance it out. Where is it you are working though that they pay you $7.15 an hour? I get $4.00 an hour, when i drive + .88 a delivery and then tips. I shouldn't complain though, in one of the best areas in the country for pizza delivery. It was a slow night on saturday, worked for about 2 hours, made $40 in cash on only 7 runs (and got to talk football and hockey with my boss while waiting for runs to pop up).

Inkman, i feel ya. I have had a stroke of luck lately and havent had many crap tips when i deliver, or if i do, i get a few big ones to balance it out.

That is normally the case for me but every now and then I have a string of bad luck. (Two or three little kid tips, where mommy and daddy haven't explained to their 12 year old that they need to tip the scary looking delivery guy followed by a delivery to a hotel/middle school/place of business which usually takes 5 times longer than the normal delivery screwing me out of 2 or 3 more deliveries)

Where is it you are working though that they pay you $7.15 an hour?

If you click on the link at the start of the thread, you'll get a fairly accurate picture of where I work.

I get $4.00 an hour, when i drive + .88 a delivery and then tips. I shouldn't complain though, in one of the best areas in the country for pizza delivery. It was a slow night on saturday, worked for about 2 hours, made $40 in cash on only 7 runs (and got to talk football and hockey with my boss while waiting for runs to pop up).

Forty bucks in 2 hours is impressive. Over 5 dollars per delivery on average. I'd run over my mom for that much.

On a side note, working with a bunch of 16-20 somethings, these kids don't want to do shizit. They just want to surf the net on the work computer and leave a few minutes early to get whatever party one of them finds out about. They will stop taking calls 30 minutes before they are supposed to and mohter #%^$#! every order they have to make after 8 o'clock. I actually find myself wanting to do extra work because the last thing I want to do is stand around doing nothing.

Ahh ink, i see the place you work at now. I assume its good pizza? I work at Dominos in the Bethesda, MD area. Dominos has their #$@! together and the process they have is incredible. Most of the runs i took on saturday took no more than 8 minutes round trip. I got several pizzas to the customers door in under 15 minutes after they placed their initial order. If there is a dominos in your area, you may want to check them out. Depending on how things are handled with the franchises, the delivery areas should be small, and a good store will really have things in order that are conducive to you making a lot of $$ quickly.

Ahh ink, i see the place you work at now. I assume its good pizza? I work at Dominos in the Bethesda, MD area. Dominos has their #$@! together and the process they have is incredible. Most of the runs i took on saturday took no more than 8 minutes round trip. I got several pizzas to the customers door in under 15 minutes after they placed their initial order. If there is a dominos in your area, you may want to check them out. Depending on how things are handled with the franchises, the delivery areas should be small, and a good store will really have things in order that are conducive to you making a lot of $$ quickly.

Food is great and they are busy as hell Thurs-Sat. My first week, I worked 13 hours and made $120 in tips plus another 90 bucks after taxes. That'll help pay off that Home Depot bill (new Stainless Steel kitchen appliances).

Interesting. I always give a smile and a "have a good night". I've never said anything to anyone about how much they tip. If someone said something to me about how much I tip, I would go #%^$#! house.

If someone ever made that comment to me, I'd probably take the money back and then immediately close and lock the door. I don't think I've ever given less than $3. The places I order from are close enough that there is no way they could ever use that gas price complaint.

If someone ever made that comment to me, I'd probably take the money back and then immediately close and lock the door. I don't think I've ever given less than $3. The places I order from are close enough that there is no way they could ever use that gas price complaint.

Some of our drivers do make those comments. I refrain. However, i never forget, and if i ever have to pee while driving in their neighborhood, its their shrubs that get targeted! J/k. I have heard of drivers that have recieved $.62 or $.50 tips that have given it back to the customer. If you are gonna short us that much, you just as well not give us anything. Another thing i can't stand is when the parents send their kids to answer the door with the cash so it doesn't look like the parents are cheap. Or when they send the kids to the door with say $22 for an $18 order with every intention of having the kid give us the full amount, and then the little bastards pocket the extra $2. God the horror stories. Then again, the women answering the door in their towels as they just hopped out of the shower are always welcome. They can short me on tips all night long!

Some of our drivers do make those comments. I refrain. However, i never forget, and if i ever have to pee while driving in their neighborhood, its their shrubs that get targeted! J/k. I have heard of drivers that have recieved $.62 or $.50 tips that have given it back to the customer. If you are gonna short us that much, you just as well not give us anything. Another thing i can't stand is when the parents send their kids to answer the door with the cash so it doesn't look like the parents are cheap. Or when they send the kids to the door with say $22 for an $18 order with every intention of having the kid give us the full amount, and then the little bastards pocket the extra $2. God the horror stories. Then again, the women answering the door in their towels as they just hopped out of the shower are always welcome. They can short me on tips all night long!

See, those are the benefits of living in a city. I don't have any shrubs that can be used for retaliation. But then again, I've never done anything that I think would cause that reaction, so it shouldn't be an issue. I did have a cabbie pull that routine once. It was a pretty short drive, only a $6 fare and he whined about a $2 tip. I didn't even respond, just got out of the car as quickly as possible.

Towels do sound good though. I'm sure they can be very bad though too.

Archived