Sabres claim 4th line center/wing off waivers

carpandean

Sabres have claimed fourth-line winger/center Matt Ellis off of waivers from LA. (Link)

Probably just a guy for Portland, but with Goose out and Mair questionable (schedule to play tonight, but we'll see after the game how it feels), one can't help but wonder if he will get a shot to compete for an injury fill-in. With Mancari and MacArthur also waiver-eligible, this can't be a good sign for the Sabres view of their potential (I assume that Ellis would have to clear waivers if we tried to send him down, too.)

Edit: one interesting note is that LA had him taking a lot of SH time (http://www.thehockeycube.com/box/2008/players/1841.shtml). We could use a lower-line player that can take some of that ice time instead of using Pommer and Roy, so that they can take more shift at even strength or on the PP.

I've never heard of him. But, just from his stats, I would assume that he's depth for Portland. Does he have to clear waivers again if we send him down? Plus, if we did, it would be much of a gamble or loss? I'm not sure that this claim is an indicator of Mancari's or MacArthur's chances of sticking.

I've never heard of him. But, just from his stats, I would assume that he's depth for Portland. Does he have to clear waivers again if we send him down? Plus, if we did, it would be much of a gamble or loss? I'm not sure that this claim is an indicator of Mancari's or MacArthur's chances of sticking.

Yes he'd have to clear waivers, and LA would likely take him back and send him to the AHL without waivers.

Some other interesting facts from Wikipedia:

-Youngest captain in Grand Rapids Griffins' history (leadership is good.)

-Franchise record five SH goals in a season and first ever to score two shorties in a game. (PK abilities and SH scoring are good.)

He actually put up decent points in the OHL, ECHL and AHL. He hasn't really played enough games in the NHL to know if he can adjust to that game. Probably just a fourth-/third-line guy at best, though.

To expand: I didn't know that either until I just read the D&C article about Steve MacIntyre:

"If, however, the Oilers want MacIntyre to play for their AHL affiliate in Springfield, then they must expose him to waivers. That's what Florida was required to do before MacIntyre could play for the Amerks.

The Panthers have every intention of claiming him right back, said Jack Birch, Florida's director of player personnel.

As long as MacIntyre doesn't play 10 games or spend 30 days in the NHL with the Oilers, then Florida can reclaim him and won't be required to expose him to waivers in order to send him to Rochester.

But if another NHL team also claims him, the waiver process must be repeated."

I've actually heard good things about him from another forum. I'm not going to come here and say this is exactly the guy we need to win the Cup but i think he is a very good Lindy Ruff type player. He works hard. He hits. Plays defense and always gives his all. The last time we got a player from the Kings, we didn't think much of it, and Adam Mair has turned out pretty well. Also when we got Steve Begin he was a nobody but actually turned into being a good player with us and then played the whole season in Montreal.

I think this is a move to get the fire going under some of the younger players who may be fighting for that open spot, and if nobody takes it, Ruff will go with the easy way and play Ellis until Goose returns. We need bangers, it's no secret.

Also when we got Steve Begin he was a nobody but actually turned into being a good player with us and then played the whole season in Montreal.

Begin never played a regular season game for the Sabres. How could he have been a "good player with us"? :blink:

Begin never played a regular season game for the Sabres. How could he have been a "good player with us"? :blink:

Everyone was in love with his style of play and hard work in pre-season. All over the forums and radio shows, and obviously Montreal realized it too.

BTW, here's a LA Kings forum i came across. Most fans seem disappointed that they lost Ellis. As they say, awesome worker and awesome on the PK...

http://www.letsgokings.com/bbs/f4/matt_ell...falo-85874.html

Interesting. Since he would have to clear waivers to go to Portland, we have to assume that Darcy and Lindy are going to give him a chance to make the team.

I agree after looking at some of the links and info on him. As LW I'll bet they are looking at him to fill Goose's spot for at least the 6 weeks he's out and maybe longer if any other forwards get traded/shipped out over the next couple of months. :rolleyes: ..

Lets hope he adds some of the toughness we lack in some others.

Just to clear this up a little because what has been said isn't completely accurate, if they want to send him to the minors, they do have to waive him. At that point, every team has a chance to claim him. Every other team in the league has a chance to claim him though. The only way LA can send him right back to Manchester would be if they are the only team that claims him on waivers. If he sticks for 30 days or 10 games, he would have to completely clear waivers before any team could send him to the AHL.

Archived