On an excellent day for Sabres fans...

nfreeman

I think it was a valid discussion. Feel free to do some analysis of other players through that tie period. Ideally a team would want more of the players who were consistent in their points per game over that time period.

Yes, that would be ideal. Other things would also be ideal -- how 'bout a do-over on the Drury CF? Or for that matter, having Pronger, Lidstrom, Crosby and Ovechkin on our team? Why not Gretzky and Orr?

Again, just about every player on the team was far from "ideal" last year. If you're going to dump every Sabre who had a crappy year last year, the list is quite long. I don't think Max's poor showing last year was due to any putative tightening of the NHL game. I think it was mostly the stomach punch administered by the losses of Drury, Briere and Teppo, combined with some injury problems. I think the same (although without the injury issues for some players) is true of the poor showings registered by, among others, Connolly, Gaustad, Stafford, Vanek, Tallinder, Lydman, Kalinin, Paetsch and Miller. You of course are free to disagree.

Speed and scoring. This line would put a tremendous amount of pressure on the other team's 3rd line and 3rd defensive pairing. I'll admit that there's a certain amount of risk involved. But Al is actually a pretty responsible guy on the backcheck and in playing the system -- otherwise Lindy wouldn't have him play the pt on the PP.

It almost certainly won't happen, but I'd love to see it for a few games.

Al is okay on the backcheck as long as he doesn't get two steps behind the play.

Yes, that would be ideal. Other things would also be ideal -- how 'bout a do-over on the Drury CF? Or for that matter, having Pronger, Lidstrom, Crosby and Ovechkin on our team? Why not Gretzky and Orr?

I don't think Gretzky and Orr were playing the last couple years.

Please find the thread where there was a discussion about Max and how the 05-06 & 06-07 seasons have to be considered in the context of the league being more open then it has reverted to again.

You do realize that the difference in the new NHL vs. the new "old" NHL amounted to 1/3 of a goal per game or a total of 20 goals per team over the whole season?

For fun:

post-1053-1222198285_thumbjpg

It's hard not to read this like a control chart, especially when there is a logical event that would explain the change in those two years. Even if you divide his numbers last year by 0.8 (to adjust for the across-the-board decline), you get significantly lower numbers than those two seasons. It's a very small sample and having inconsistent line-mates, as well as injuries could explain some of the decline, but it's important to remember that, even when he was scoring lots, people still questioned if he was worth keeping because of the harm that he can do when he is on the ice.

I am happy that the Sabres farm team will finally be coming to Norfolk to play so I can see some of the young guys in person.

You may now return to your regularly scheduled discussion about Max

:thumbsup:

Halloween weekend, I'll be there too.

I'm probably one of the few that thinks Max can return to his better days... :cry:

Me too!! I don't think it, I expect it. Wait and see all ye "Doubting Maxes", he will be a force this year. So it be written, so it be done.

Me too!! I don't think it, I expect it. Wait and see all ye "Doubting Maxes", he will be a force this year. So it be written, so it be done.

Nice! I'm with you -- I expect a much better season from Max, although I also think it's more likely than not that he gets traded at some point this year (mostly because he's going to be a UFA after the season and we seem to be pretty well stocked with forwards).

Speaking of which -- getting back to the original point of this thread -- I'm going to watch a preseason game for the first time in a long time tonight in order to get a look at Gerbe. He's wearing #42, but I expect a different body type and speed level as compared with Richard Smehlik (which is not a shot at Richard -- I always thought he was a pretty decent defenseman who got scapegoated). I'd love to see Gerbe make a strong statement tonight.

Go Sabres.

Nice! I'm with you -- I expect a much better season from Max, although I also think it's more likely than not that he gets traded at some point this year (mostly because he's going to be a UFA after the season and we seem to be pretty well stocked with forwards).

Speaking of which -- getting back to the original point of this thread -- I'm going to watch a preseason game for the first time in a long time tonight in order to get a look at Gerbe. He's wearing #42, but I expect a different body type and speed level as compared with Richard Smehlik (which is not a shot at Richard -- I always thought he was a pretty decent defenseman who got scapegoated). I'd love to see Gerbe make a strong statement tonight.

Last night, Max looked like he wanted to change at times. He did work hard to backcheck on several plays and looked for his linemates on the rush. Other times ... same old Max. If he can truly embrace that new attitude, I will also gladly crow when he performs well. I'm not convinced yet, but at least there was a glimmer of hope.

As for Gerbe, he definitely looked like the real deal ... definitely small, but also definitely capable. If he plays less than 20 games in the NHL this season, I will be surprised.

Archived