[OT] 360 or PS3

Guest Sloth

Ok, I went w/ the 360 a year after it came it. Ever since I've bought it, I have gone through 3 of them! I don't over play 360 and I also make sure I put the 360 out in the open so it doesn't overheat. My latest 360 crashed last night! I got the 3 red ring of death!

First question, have any of you had problems w/ your 360?

Second question, has the PS3 been having as many systems crash as the 360?

I think it's pathetic when a company, Microsoft, has a system out where they are paying for UPS deliverary to either fix your 360 or give you a new one. IMO, that shows much they messed up.

I've never had problems w/ videogame systems in the past.

My 360 had the red ring of death too, and I got it fixed.

I too, didn't use it much, possibly 2-4 hours a week, yet it still died within a year.

Had it fixed through the warranty, and I'm pretty sure they added some extra cooling to the machine, cause :

a. It now makes twice the noise it did before (not that bad really).

b. It hasn't crashed on me once since it's reapair.

My friend had to get 3 new 360's in less than 6 months because they kept dying... he now has PS3, has had it for a year and plays it all the time, almost everyday for at least 3-4 hours and he has never had a problem.

I know some people probably have the reverse story, so it's probably luck of the draw and it's also a personal preference, but I have always been a PS person, and I'm sure there are people who absolutely love xbox... so to each his own.

My brother-in-law got a 360 when they first came out and has been through 8 red rings of death. He had it replaced 6 times on the warranty and it was away for service far longer than it was in his home. He finally got fed up a bought a new one (How fed up could he have been?) and has already (in less than a year) had to have it serviced on the warranty for the red rings of death. (He gave the first 360 to his brother who had it fixed on the warranty and has since had to have it back to the repair center already himself)

In preperation for buying my own of one of the two I did a lot of online research and found the PS3 is the far better choice for reliability issues. My brother-in-law's problems with the 360 sold me on a PS3 more than any online research did, though.

This is the first and the last time I'll buy a microsoft gaming system. I was rather tenative when I chose to buy the 360. When the next generation of videogame consoles come out, I'll be going back to PS. I never had problems w/ my PS1 or PS2. When you buy a system, you are making an investment. I have a number of games I cannot play right now and the 360, in my opinion, has turned out to be a bust. :doh:

I've never had any problems with my PS3. Never freezes on me or anything. Works like a dream..so far. My brother got a 360 and had a hell of a time with it. I just stay away from it even though it does have more games. I don't have time to d*ck around with Microshaft and their BS. Does your PS3 get enough ventilation? I've played mine for hours and nothing ever happens.

I really want to play the newer generation of NHL08 (PS3/XBox360, not PS2/PC), so I checked out prices on Ebay. PS3's were running $300+, while XBox360's could be had for $150. I figured that this was probably a case of getting what you pay for. There is one seller that has XBox360's with a list of modifications designed to reduce heat, so I guessed that was the big issue.

I've never had any problems with my PS3. Never freezes on me or anything. Works like a dream..so far. My brother got a 360 and had a hell of a time with it. I just stay away from it even though it does have more games. I don't have time to d*ck around with Microshaft and their BS. Does your PS3 get enough ventilation? I've played mine for hours and nothing ever happens.

My PS3 froze one time (just a couple days ago), but I wasn't playing. I think my roommate is just an idiot and he did something to screw up his game on Madden. I thought it was hilarious. I don't use the thing enough to ever be worried about it becoming a serious issue.

[crosses fingers] i have been a proud xbox360 user for just over 8 months of heavy use (i'm on sabbatical) , and have had zero problems until last week when i clicked the AV cable over to HD capability for a different television (which worked fine). upon returning to the older television, and clicking the cable back to regular (red/white/yellow plugs), after about 10 minutes of gameplay my video feed would die. the game kept going, audio and online connectivity was uninterrupted, but i couldn't see what was happening. restarted, and all was fine until 10 minutes in...lost video again. new cable has already been purchased and shipped.

moral of my story: i love my 360, but how does a cable fail after doing what it's supposed to do just once or twice?

my buddy got going with the ps3 a couple months ago, and i am flabbergasted with the video quality. it's amazing. the games...not so much, but there are some great titles right around the corner. and the blu-ray capability is key...where else can you get a player and gaming system in one box for that cost?

ps: i really hope it was just the cable. otherwise, i'm in for a rude awakening later this week, and fresh out of ideas as to what the problem really is.

My brother owns a PS3 and i don't play it much, but he plays it alot, like ALOT.... like 2-3 hours a DAY. He plays those war shooting video games. He goes online, has a team and then they battle other teams all over the planet. Anyways, he's never had a problem with it and he's had it since Day 1. The day it came out he bought it, for a ton of money. I've only came over and played it a little bit. Once in a while i go there on weekends and few buddies come and we have FIFA or NHL tournaments and never have had any issues.

My buddy Jon, got a Xbox for his birthday from his girlfriend, says its a nightmare. I don't know details because im not a gamer, but he says it breaks/freezes on him often and it's a mess.

I purchased an Xbox 360 last summer (late July) and it crapped out on me in earlier August of THIS YEAR. The issue is that Microsoft did not design a product that has the cooling capability and general electrical strength to withstand running games--something you kind of need if you're building a gaming system :wallbash:

I had to call their tech support and they replaced it for free, however it took over 2 weeks for the whole process and the "new" system they sent me is just another refurbished one, meaning it is just as likely to crap out on me. I would say spend the extra cash and go with the PS3. Plus with PS3 you get a nice BluRay and not a crappy DVD player like the one that accompanies the 360.

Isn't the simple solution to put the machine in one of those small fridge's and run the wires outside it? Don't laugh, my cousin does it after it overheated so much. It works. Just don't leave it in there when you're not playing. duh.

I wouldn't suggest putting it in the fridge - condensation and electronics don't mix very well.

I've had my 360 since launch. I did get the red ring once, but the replacement arrived within 10 days. Like an earlier poster said, I gotta' believe they added more (or bigger) cooling fans as I can hear it a little bit now - before I couldn't.

I've been fairly pleased with my xbox360. I had a PS1 that crapped out about 3 1/2 months after I purchased it and as it was past the 90 day warranty I ended up having to buy a new one. I know it's fashionable to rip Microsoft, but I've had nothing but excellent service from them, unlike Sony.

As for the original poster:

Are you a huge movie guy, ie, do you own/watch many movies? PS3 does have BluRay, 360 uses Media Center (plays songs and HD movies via a PC)

Do you have friends with whom you might want to play co-op or versus games? 360's LIVE service is without equal.

Does money matter? 360 can be had for less if you're pinching pennies. Also, they have a more fully developed library of "classics" - early games that you can buy new for under $20

Are there specific games you want to play that are console exclusive?

Either way, enjoy your gaming.

Are you a huge movie guy, ie, do you own/watch many movies? PS3 does have BluRay, 360 uses Media Center (plays songs and HD movies via a PC)

Do you have friends with whom you might want to play co-op or versus games? 360's LIVE service is without equal.

Does money matter? 360 can be had for less if you're pinching pennies. Also, they have a more fully developed library of "classics" - early games that you can buy new for under $20

Are there specific games you want to play that are console exclusive?

Either way, enjoy your gaming.

I'm a movie freak. I have 200 + movies in my DVD collection and I'll admit a large part of me wishes I didn't blow so much money on them. It'd be cool to have a system where you can play games and also watch BluRay movies.

I agree Sony cannot compete w/ Xbox Live. I've had A LOT of fun playing 2k hockey, don't bash the game, COD4, Madden 08, etc...I'd miss playing Xbox Live. I'll get my 360 fixed or replaced by Microsoft and continue to play it. It's a great system, but I just don't understand how Microsoft could screw up so bad. It's going to affect the next console they release. People will be rather tenative when it comes out.

There are certain games that I'll stand by a system for. The 360 has Mass Effect and Gears of War. Those titles are must plays, but Sony has Metal Gear Solid 4 and I'm a HUGE fan of that series. I feel that is also a must play. To bad all games can't be multi-platform...

For this generation of consoles, I'll keep playing the 360 and I'll eventually buy a PS3. When the next generation comes around, I'm going back to the dependable PlayStation...Microsoft has lost my trust.

my 360 got the red ring of death shortly after xmas last yr...sent it back then when i got it back it wouldnt power up...had to send it back AGAIN. no problems since then but as an earlier poster wrote, mine is a lot louder now as well! when i play madden 09 it is really loud where other games arent quite that way. oh well whatever as long as it doesnt break again.

nhl 09 on tuesday!!!

my 360 got the red ring of death shortly after xmas last yr...sent it back then when i got it back it wouldnt power up...had to send it back AGAIN. no problems since then but as an earlier poster wrote, mine is a lot louder now as well! when i play madden 09 it is really loud where other games arent quite that way. oh well whatever as long as it doesnt break again.

nhl 09 on tuesday!!!

See, this is what is ticking me off. Is it nice when a company provides some type of repair service for a device that breaks down? Yes, it is, but only if that was on rare occassions. However, when it is happening time and time again for 360 owners across America, there is something insanely wrong. It completely sucks! If your 360 goes down, you shouldn't get a "repaired" one back. You should receive a brand new 360. I did not pay 400 plus tax for a system that continuously breaks down. I paid for a system I thought would be enjoyable. I never thought I paid for a system that could cause me to go bald by the time I turn 30.

*I rarely go beyond 2 hours when playing my 360. Most of the time it's a quick game of hockey or madden. I am currently on my third system, soon to be fourth, and the longest one has lasted 14 months! How pathetic is that?! :censored:

ATTENTION ALL 360 PLAYERS

NHL 09 DOWNLOAD IS NOW AVAILABLE!!!

edit: maybe i shoulda downloaded it before you all steal the bandwidth from me.

I myself was waiting for the PS3 when the 360 came out but ended up with both since I prefer to play games on sony's machine and most of my friends play on xbox live so I got both. Recently I downloaded the NHL 09 Demo for the PS3 when it came out and thought it awesome. But I was gonna get it for the 360 so as to play online with my friends. So even though I already played and deleted the demo on the PS3 I was going to download the Demo on the 360 just to get used to the controls albeit there is no real difference aside from controller layout. As I was constantly checking to see on Live if the demo was out I notice my 360 starting to act up. Freezing while not even playing just browsing the live store. Then The Demo finally dropped and I set it to download... after starting the download the 360 froze again... I rebooted it and... there they were... flashing red in all their glory 3 red blinking lights.... Conveniently 5 days before NHL Drops....

OH But the story actually gets better. I then call my buddy, vent to him for a few minutes and set out to get it replaced. I sit down in my chair and lean back, when CRACK I nearly fall back on my head... My F'N Chair decides to break... I just could not win that day... down one console and one computer chair. Not one of my better days that day...

I myself was waiting for the PS3 when the 360 came out but ended up with both since I prefer to play games on sony's machine and most of my friends play on xbox live so I got both. Recently I downloaded the NHL 09 Demo for the PS3 when it came out and thought it awesome. But I was gonna get it for the 360 so as to play online with my friends. So even though I already played and deleted the demo on the PS3 I was going to download the Demo on the 360 just to get used to the controls albeit there is no real difference aside from controller layout. As I was constantly checking to see on Live if the demo was out I notice my 360 starting to act up. Freezing while not even playing just browsing the live store. Then The Demo finally dropped and I set it to download... after starting the download the 360 froze again... I rebooted it and... there they were... flashing red in all their glory 3 red blinking lights.... Conveniently 5 days before NHL Drops....

OH But the story actually gets better. I then call my buddy, vent to him for a few minutes and set out to get it replaced. I sit down in my chair and lean back, when CRACK I nearly fall back on my head... My F'N Chair decides to break... I just could not win that day... down one console and one computer chair. Not one of my better days that day...

I thought I was reading Complaint Thursday for a second.

Archived