[OT] 360 or PS3

Guest Sloth

I got a 360 right when it came out. I spent the $50 on the extended warranty from EB. I got a red ring of death about 10 months later. Went to EB and picked up a brand new system the same day. My new one still works great.

I spent 50 bucks on the warranty also. My first two systems fell w/in 1 year warranty so they were replaced. My third, current one, console went past the warranty by 2 months! :wallbash:

well, i got the new AV cable, and it is apparently not the problem.

[sigh]...what's the process for getting the xbox360 fixed/replaced? this is my first time.

purchased (i forget when...within the calendar year) when i was in boston. i am nowhere near that circuit city. jones-ing currently at level 1 (of 4).

well, i got the new AV cable, and it is apparently not the problem.

[sigh]...what's the process for getting the xbox360 fixed/replaced? this is my first time.

purchased (i forget when...within the calendar year) when i was in boston. i am nowhere near that circuit city. jones-ing currently at level 1 (of 4).

If you rule everything out and you conclude something is wrong with your machine, you could be on your way to the red ring of death. You could then have a case for sending it back and they will send you a different (refurbished) machine for free.

I didn't have the extended warrantee so when mine crapped the bed I was a little nervous, but it was actually really easy since Microsoft knows they screwed up bad with these machines. Here is what you do:

Call 1-800-4MY-XBOX and navigate through the voice-activated crap. Have your 360 ready because when you finally talk to someone you need to give them the serial number. Whoever you talk to will create a work order and end up shipping you a pre-paid UPS shipping label. Make sure you have them REPEAT your name, address, and email address, as sometimes these people do not have the best English :death:

It will probably take until the next day to see the UPS label in your email. Then just print it, remove your hard drive and any external devices from your xbox, toss it in a box (you have to provide) and out it goes. You can then call the 1800 number again to check the status of the repair, but figure at least 2 weeks for this whole process. I just went through it so it's fresh in my mind. They will extend a temporary warrantee and give you a free month of xbox live gold, yipee.

I got a 360 right when it came out. I spent the $50 on the extended warranty from EB. I got a red ring of death about 10 months later. Went to EB and picked up a brand new system the same day. My new one still works great.

Did the same thing myself. Have only had it freeze on me once since i upgraded from the version 1 360 to the version 3 ( i think) but still have that safety net just in case it decides to be like my old system that i didnt have an extended warranty on.

:(

Are they having the same issues with the newer versions of the system (Xbox 360 Elite).

From what I've seen and heard, the 360 Elite has been the most stable with the least amount of problems. I've had/seen problems with some of the older motherboards but as far as the elite goes, its fairly solid.

Archived