[OT] Google Chrome

frisky

Just installed Google Chrome web browser. Seems to be working pretty good. They're taking aim at Microshaft. Wonder how it will do and see if it gets even as popular as Firefox. They're other free stuff hasn't quite taken off such as they're free online office suite. But, so far so good. No complaints yet.

Just installed Google Chrome web browser. Seems to be working pretty good. They're taking aim at Microshaft. Wonder how it will do and see if it gets even as popular as Firefox. They're other free stuff hasn't quite taken off such as they're free online office suite. But, so far so good. No complaints yet.

In a moment of weakness, I allowed FireFox to update to 3.0.1. Everything seems about the same, and maybe in the background it's more secure, etc., or whatever, but the bookmarks showing up when I start to type in a web address are driving me crazy. And it used to be that when I started to type in a site that I had visited earlier in the session, it would fill in the address. Now it doesn't do that. From my brief reading on the topic, apparently you can't disable the bookmark issue short of dropping a 10 megaton nuclear payload on your house. I don't like all this artificial intelligence business where they gather your history and try to predict where you want to go online. I have enough artificial intelligence of my own, thanks.

Is it complaint Thursday yet?

This one does the same thing. There isn't an option for turning that off as far as I can tell.

However, they do have this thing called Incognito window that doesn't leave tracks in the history or cache in case you're going to those seedy places on the internet.

Yeah, now I know I'll never use Chrome.

http://gizmodo.com/5044871/google-chrome-e...posts-to-emails

11. Content license from you

11.1 You retain copyright and any other rights you already hold in Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. By submitting, posting or displaying the content you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. This license is for the sole purpose of enabling Google to display, distribute and promote the Services and may be revoked for certain Services as defined in the Additional Terms of those Services.

11.2 You agree that this license includes a right for Google to make such Content available to other companies, organizations or individuals with whom Google has relationships for the provision of syndicated services, and to use such Content in connection with the provision of those services.

11.3 You understand that Google, in performing the required technical steps to provide the Services to our users, may (a) transmit or distribute your Content over various public networks and in various media; and (b) make such changes to your Content as are necessary to conform and adapt that Content to the technical requirements of connecting networks, devices, services or media. You agree that this license shall permit Google to take these actions.

11.4 You confirm and warrant to Google that you have all the rights, power and authority necessary to grant the above license.

What exactly is this thing supposed to do better that would make me want to switch from Firefox? :blink:

It does a better job of gathering data on you for Google Ads. :chris:

I'm sticking with Firefox v.2 but I'd like to read more people's experiences with Chrome.

PA, here's an example:

I make the following graphic for my son's Cub Scout website:

post-733-1220467325_thumbpng

If I were to "submit, post or display on or through, the Services (Google Chrome)" I am also, by "submiting, posting or displaying" it with/through Google Chrome, giving them a roaylty-free, irrevocable infinite license to do whatever they want with my graphic. I have to assume that Chrome has some sort of upload service and/or some hosting capabilities. However, they cover all bases by saying "display on or through." Chances are it would not hold up in court as internet EULAs are often not considered binding (so I have been told).

At least that is how I am reading that clause.

PA, here's an example:

I make the following graphic for my son's Cub Scout website:

post-733-1220467325_thumbpng

If I were to "submit, post or display on or through, the Services (Google Chrome)" I am also, by "submiting, posting or displaying" it with/through Google Chrome, giving them a roaylty-free, irrevocable infinite license to do whatever they want with my graphic. I have to assume that Chrome has some sort of upload service and/or some hosting capabilities. However, they cover all bases by saying "display on or through." Chances are it would not hold up in court as internet EULAs are often not considered binding (so I have been told).

At least that is how I am reading that clause.

I still don't understand how you would display that image on or through Chrome. Maybe I'm being dense.

I still don't understand how you would display that image on or through Chrome. Maybe I'm being dense.

well, if weasel were to use chrome as the browser via which he posted his creation to the internetz, then google, if it so chose, could use that creation for its own use, license-free.

i'm not all that tech-savvy, but i trust that the chrome would "imprint" (brand like cattle?) the creation with some proprietary e-signal, which would allow google to identify the creation as something that was in their free-use library.

well, if weasel were to use chrome as the browser via which he posted his creation to the internetz, then google, if it so chose, could use that creation for its own use, license-free.

i'm not all that tech-savvy, but i trust that the chrome would "imprint" (brand like cattle?) the creation with some proprietary e-signal, which would allow google to identify the creation as something that was in their free-use library.

Maybe, but I think it's more likely that Chrome "phones home" with data on what you've done.

From Google's privacy policy:

# When you type URLs or queries in the address bar, the letters you type are sent to Google so the Suggest feature can automatically recommend terms or URLs you may be looking for. If you choose to share usage statistics with Google and you accept a suggested query or URL, Google Chrome will send that information to Google as well. You can disable this feature as explained here.

# If you navigate to a URL that does not exist, Google Chrome may send the URL to Google so we can help you find the URL you were looking for. You can disable this feature as explained here.

# Google Chrome's SafeBrowsing feature periodically contacts Google's servers to download the most recent list of known phishing and malware sites. In addition, when you visit a site that we think could be a phishing or malware site, your browser will send Google a hashed, partial copy of the site's URL so that we can send more information about the risky URL. Google cannot determine the real URL you are visiting from this information. More information about how this works is here.

# Your copy of Google Chrome includes one or more unique application numbers. These numbers and information about your installation of the browser (e.g., version number, language) will be sent to Google when you first install and use it and when Google Chrome automatically checks for updates. If you choose to send usage statistics and crash reports to Google, the browser will send us this information along with a unique application number as well. Crash reports can contain information from files, applications and services that were running at the time of a malfunction. We use crash reports to diagnose and try to fix any problems with the browser.

From a piece of code in the browser:

// Ongoing log typically

// contain very detailed records of user activities (ex: opened tab, closed

// tab, fetched URL, maximized window, etc.) In addition, just before an

// ongoing log is closed out, a call is made to gather memory statistics. Those

// memory statistics are deposited into a histogram, and the log finalization

// code is then called. In the finalization, a call to a Histogram server

// acquires a list of all local histograms that have been flagged for upload

// to the UMA server.

//

// When the browser shuts down, there will typically be a fragment of an ongoing

// log that has not yet been transmitted. At shutdown time, that fragment

// is closed (including snapshotting histograms), and converted to text. Note

// that memory stats are not gathered during shutdown, as gathering *might* be

// too time consuming. The textual representation of the fragment of the

// ongoing log is then stored persistently as a string in the PrefServices, for

// potential transmission during a future run of the product.

Yeah, think I'll pass.

:lol:

I think it's more a matter of privacy than pr0n, but that was pretty funny. :)

Right I understand. If I'm not mistaken though, google pays for about 65%-75% of mozilla's development. And judging how much firefox 3 and chrome look very similar, I wouldn't doubt that google has already been doing it even though we don't know it. Kind of like the new active address bar!!!

They get all the info they want without us knowing it. At least google is letting us know that they are stealing our info.

I agree tho, i wont put anything personal into chrome but i do like what they are trying to do with it.

You agree to share and be tracked individually:

"By submitting, posting or displaying the content you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any content which you submit, post or display on or through, the services. This license is for the sole purpose of enabling Google to display, distribute and promote the services and may be revoked for certain services as defined in the additional terms of those services."

When you download Chrome, you receive a unique browser identifier number. That means Google not only knows what you are typing, but Google also knows what browser it came from.

And you also agree that they can download pretty much anything they want onto your computer to "help you".

Download this. :censored:

Right I understand. If I'm not mistaken though, google pays for about 65%-75% of mozilla's development. And judging how much firefox 3 and chrome look very similar, I wouldn't doubt that google has already been doing it even though we don't know it. Kind of like the new active address bar!!!

They get all the info they want without us knowing it. At least google is letting us know that they are stealing our info.

I agree tho, i wont put anything personal into chrome but i do like what they are trying to do with it.

I'm sure in those minor upgrades to any software when you usually have to agree to all the conditions to update they probably add all those hated notes of they own whatever they want when they want it.

Yeah, now I know I'll never use Chrome.

http://gizmodo.com/5044871/google-chrome-e...posts-to-emails

Gizmodo updated the article, because Google now claims that section 11 was not supposed to be included in the EULA:

Rebecca Ward, Senior Product Counsel for Google Chrome, told Ars that it's actually an oopsie from basically copying and pasting the same EULA it uses in other products, and that they're updating it as fast as they can to remove the ridiculous terms.

She says that Google is "working quickly to remove language from Section 11 of the current Google Chrome terms of service. This change will apply retroactively to all users who have downloaded Google Chrome."

RIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT.

Archived