Pre-Training Camp talk

Two or less

Labor day is behind us. Hockey season is just around the corner. I figured we can actually start talking about some actual hockey material? Who are some of the players you are very interested to see at training camp? For me, i will be watching two players, Drew Stafford and Clarke MacArthur. Both for Sabres reasons. Atleast one of those two needs to have a big season. I am also interested in seeing Phillip Gogulla. He was outstanding last years camp and just missed out on a spot, did he improve? Can he show Lindy Ruff that he deserves to stay in the NHL and not back to Germany?

Also, Allard is out of camp.

Allard to miss Sabres camp

At the opening practice with his new club on Friday, Quebec Remparts C Jean-Simon Allard absorbed the receiving end of a Yannick Reiber elbow that will keep him sidelined for at least four-six weeks. Details of the play are coming together, but the injuries are said to include a fractured jaw (chin area) and dislocation. Surgery was required.

Chosen in the 5th round of the 2007 draft, the 6'2, 185-pound Allard is in a good spot to achieve with a loaded Quebec squad after breaking out with 60 points last season for St. John's. The injury will obviously prevent the forward from skating in Buffalo's main camp in a few short weeks, and may force Remparts boss Patrick Roy to peruse the QMJHL trade market.

Link- http://www.sabresprospects.com/2008/08/all...abres-camp.html

I am looking forward to camp as well and I expect big things out of Stafford. To me, this team's fortunes change dramatically if Stafford becomes the player we thought he could be two years ago and Connolly somehow figures out how to stay healthy during his contract year. Everyone I talk to says that Connolly looks better then ever and has been absolutely dangling at the Pepsi Center. Obviously, that's a long way from doing it once the real games start.

As for MacArthur, if he is anything more then the 13th or 14th forward it will be a disappointment. I just don't see him good enough for a top six spot and he doesn't bring the other things you need for a third or fourth liner.

As for MacArthur, if he is anything more then the 13th or 14th forward it will be a disappointment. I just don't see him good enough for a top six spot and he doesn't bring the other things you need for a third or fourth liner.

I agree. If he has a good preseason, they can possibly trade him for a mid round pick(4th or 5th round) or keep him as you stated as a spare forward.

What I want to see : :rolleyes:

Stafford for sure, time for a break out.

Rivet, divet some opposing players getting too close to the crease.

Max play like it's a contract year and he wants a big contract so at least he has some trade value before February.

The kids are all right, Gerbe, Enroth, Kennedy, Gragnani, Funk, Hunter, etc. the farm is stacked and pretty soon some competition is pushing for spots in NHL

Connolly come back better than ever like he did 2 years ago and trade him before he breaks down again.

The general get his first star or gets busted back to Sargent.

Peters replaced by anyone who can actually skate but still has some toughness.

What I want to see? Two things, above all - healthy players ready to contribute, and consistency on offense, defense and on the PP.

More specifically:

-Max in another team's uniform

-Connolly healthy enough to handle a whole campaign, or traded

-Tallinder returns to form and the Tallydman pairing back to its rock-steady play of 05-06 and parts of 06-07

-Continued development from the youngsters

-Someone, anyone to step up as the PP QB (Sekera, you're on the clock)

-The slug jerseys taken to a dumpster behind the arena and ceremoniously burned

What I want to see? Two things, above all - healthy players ready to contribute, and consistency on offense, defense and on the PP.

More specifically:

-Connolly healthy enough to handle a whole campaign, or traded

-Tallinder returns to form and the Tallydman pairing back to its rock-steady play of 05-06 and parts of 06-07

-Continued development from the youngsters

-Someone, anyone to step up as the PP QB (Sekera, you're on the clock)

-The slug jerseys taken to a dumpster behind the arena and ceremoniously burned

I would be happy if Tallinder got over his fear of contact.

Or in the pressbox.

I couldn't care less if he gets traded at this point, I just want him NOT to play for the Sabres, so if that means sitting his worthless backside, so be it.

I never thought I could get so fed up with a player that I'd actually be ok with them paying said player NOT to play, but I suppose that just goes to show how sick to my stomach I am of this pest of a "hockey player".

There are so many questions about this team that it's hard to know where to start. And the biggest question -- leadership and mental toughness -- can't be answered until the season starts and the ammo is live. Having said that, here's what I'd like to see come out of camp:

1. Sharpness from Miller and Lalime, and Lindy being confident in Lalime.

2. Rivet seizing the role of #1 defenseman.

3. Sekera making a strong push for top 4 minutes.

4. Teppo making it clear that he's ready to roll.

5. Connolly in the same shape he was in in 2005.

6. A trade involving one or more of our forwards that yields a big, tough center with some Brenden Morrow qualities. He doesn't have to be a big scorer; he just has to have plenty of wee-wees and vinegar.

7. An extension for Pominville.

8. Gerbe and/or Kennedy lighting it up and making it clear that any forward who wants to keep his job with the big club had better bust his butt every night.

Go Sabres.

There are so many questions about this team that it's hard to know where to start. And the biggest question -- leadership and mental toughness -- can't be answered until the season starts and the ammo is live. Having said that, here's what I'd like to see come out of camp:

1. Sharpness from Miller and Lalime, and Lindy being confident in Lalime.

2. Rivet seizing the role of #1 defenseman.

3. Sekera making a strong push for top 4 minutes.

4. Teppo making it clear that he's ready to roll.

5. Connolly in the same shape he was in in 2005.

6. A trade involving one or more of our forwards that yields a big, tough center with some Brenden Morrow qualities. He doesn't have to be a big scorer; he just has to have plenty of wee-wees and vinegar.

7. An extension for Pominville.

8. Gerbe and/or Kennedy lighting it up and making it clear that any forward who wants to keep his job with the big club had better bust his butt every night.

Go Sabres.

I hope one of the youngsters really lights up the preseason and forces the Sabres to keep them in Buffalo. I'm one who doesn't think the Sabres have good depth at forward. I could name at least four forwards projected for the Sabres that I would waive today.

Waive??? Peters and...???

I'd trade Max. Who else did you have in mind?

The General, Max and Tinsel Timmy . As I said before I consider them dead cap space and if the Sabres are relying on Max and Tinsel Timmy as they did last season we will all be greatly disappointed. If Max had any trade value he would be gone, other teams see what we all see and know at some point this season the Sabres will just release him so why give up anything. As far as Connolly, my biggest fear is that he will do just enough and stay just healthy enough for the Sabres to sign him to an extension. The Sabres are doey eyed when it comes Tinsel Timmy and the thought they would possibly spend another penny on this huge disappointment is maddening.

The General, Max and Tinsel Timmy . As I said before I consider them dead cap space and if the Sabres are relying on Max and Tinsel Timmy as they did last season we will all be greatly disappointed. If Max had any trade value he would be gone, other teams see what we all see and know at some point this season the Sabres will just release him so why give up anything. As far as Connolly, my biggest fear is that he will do just enough and stay just healthy enough for the Sabres to sign him to an extension. The Sabres are doey eyed when it comes Tinsel Timmy and the thought they would possibly spend another penny on this huge disappointment is maddening.

MacArthur deserves another training camp, IMO Max will be traded before the season starts and there is no one else on the roster or in the system to take the role of #2 scoring line center, so we are stuck with Connolly for another season. If the Sabres were going to make a blockbuster trade to acquire a #2 center, it would have happened at the draft or shortly there after.

MacArthur deserves another training camp, IMO Max will be traded before the season starts and there is no one else on the roster or in the system to take the role of #2 scoring line center, so we are stuck with Connolly for another season. If the Sabres were going to make a blockbuster trade to acquire a #2 center, it would have happened at the draft or shortly there after.

Connolly for just this season (30 - 40 games if lucky) is fine. It needs to be his last in a Sabre uniform. I would waive him just to eliminate any temptation by the Sabres to extend his contract.

I wouldn't say MacArthur "deserves" anything. He has a contract and he is here that's it. He has been unimpressive for the most part in his stints with the Sabres. Unless his games raises a couple of notches there is no reason to keep him on the Sabres. Let him play in Portland and see if he can turn his game around.

This is something I've been pondering recently myself. It's Connolly's contract year. He's 27 (won't be 28 until next May), just entering his prime. He's probably the most talented player on the team. When he's healthy, Lindy trusts him in all situations -- at least as much as any other forward. Here are his career numbers for games played:

So, he was quite durable for his first 4 years, then he suffered his first concussion, then he turned into the Glass Man. But it's far from impossible that, in his contract year, he plays 75+ games this year and has a huge season. If that happens, I honestly don't know what I'd want to do. Sure would be a good problem to have though.

This is something I've been pondering recently myself. It's Connolly's contract year. He's 27 (won't be 28 until next May), just entering his prime. He's probably the most talented player on the team. When he's healthy, Lindy trusts him in all situations -- at least as much as any other forward. Here are his career numbers for games played:

So, he was quite durable for his first 4 years, then he suffered his first concussion, then he turned into the Glass Man. But it's far from impossible that, in his contract year, he plays 75+ games this year and has a huge season. If that happens, I honestly don't know what I'd want to do. Sure would be a good problem to have though.

I am doubtful that is even possible, I wouldn't extend him no matter what type of season he has. Sometimes you just have to let go and move on. He is only a .55 point per game player that can't stay healthy. Sure most of those .55 points are pretty to look at. They're just not worthy of further investment. It's hard to justify considering the tough financial decisions the franchise has made recently. I just couldn't imagine the Sabres offering another contract.

Archived