Will there be any Sabres news before Labor Day?

nfreeman

Are we going to get ANYTHING interesting this week?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Tom W -- you promised us something good! WTF?! I appreciate everyone's recipes and complaints, and the naked pictures of spndchz, but I need some hockey talk. Is it going to happen this week? And when I say "Sabres news", I mean news involving players who will probably play in the NHL this season. No blah blah blah about jerseys, double-knits, AHLers, hosting the world juniors, whether Pommer likes the local BBQ sauces or BS Eklund rumors. Are we going to get anything?

• Yes
    • No
    • Huh? My brain has turned to mush from lack of interesting hockey talk.

I'm also getting a little antsy about the Pommer thing. Even though he'll be a RFA next year, if that happens, I think he'll just end up being priced out of their range in the end. But there's still 26 days 'til camp.

That is the EXACT same feeling I have. If they don't sign him soon, he'll be offered 6+ from another team. Give the guy 5 million already and get it over w/. Sometimes you need to gamble.

That is the EXACT same feeling I have. If they don't sign him soon, he'll be offered 6+ from another team. Give the guy 5 million already and get it over w/. Sometimes you need to gamble.

I am not advocating this at all. But many on this board were more than willing to give up on Vanek for the all the first round picks. Is anyone willing to even discuss this scenario in regards to Pominville? Again, I wouldn't, just wanted to throw it out there for discussion so put your flame throwers away.

I am not advocating this at all. But many on this board were more than willing to give up on Vanek for the all the first round picks. Is anyone willing to even discuss this scenario in regards to Pominville? Again, I wouldn't, just wanted to throw it out there for discussion so put your flame throwers away.

Vanek was a +42 and he had 40+ goals. Vanek was, and still is, great in front of the net. That is why Edmonton offered so much for him. I don't see any team offering Pomminstein as much money as Edmonton did for Vanek.

I was one who would have thought long and hard(for the full week allowed) in regards to taking the picks for Vanek. Instead Quinny had to run to a press conference in a matter of minutes to announce the Sabres would match. <_<

I think a lot more of Pominville than Vanek, but without knowing what the RFA offer to him would be, it is impossible to speculate whether it should be matched.

I was one who would have thought long and hard(for the full week allowed) in regards to taking the picks for Vanek. Instead Quinny had to run to a press conference in a matter of minutes to announce the Sabres would match. <_<

Problem was, the Sabres had just been pilaged and screwed up the Drury deal. Letting Vanek go would have been equivalent to dismantling the entire team. From a PR perspective they had to keep Vanek as most big name Free Agents had been scooped up and the Sabres only course of action would have been to improve through trade or go with a Drury, Briere, and Vanekless team.

Problem was, the Sabres had just been pilaged and screwed up the Drury deal. Letting Vanek go would have been equivalent to dismantling the entire team. From a PR perspective they had to keep Vanek as most big name Free Agents had been scooped up and the Sabres only course of action would have been to improve through trade or go with a Drury, Briere, and Vanekless team.

Vanek was their top priority in terms of guys that they had to keep that offseason. There was no point in waiting out the decision period. Now some might ask if he's the top priority, why didn't they negotiate with him, but since Vanek's agent wasn't even talking to them, that wasn't an option.

Well, finally, there is news that no news has been made yet. On GR, it said they Pominville's agent and DR are going to talk again next Tuesday but it's still early in the process. Hmm...they better get on s*it if they really want to get his butt signed before 9/20 or 10/10, whichever.

While we can hope about Pommy extending soon from what I've read from other GM's and agents, taking your time is a good thing nowadays. Like Sakic, they said if he was pushed he would have walked. (AKA Favre) If you try hard to sign someone they may feel pushed and want to wait it out. I'm sure there is some level of afraidness by a player thinking "Sign for 4.5, but maybe I get 5 or 6 or 4 years instead of 3 or what if what if...

I'd like him signed up for more years but as long as the news is "we are still talking and Jason hasn't said no" are still part of the conversation I'm not as worried as I was with those who not be named.

From GR:

(WGR 550) - The agent for Jason Pominville tells WGR he's continuing discussions with Sabres management on a contract extension for one of Buffalo's 2007-08 captains, and that the two parties will talk again Tuesday.

Normand Dupont is still hoping to get a deal done for his client before the start of the season, but says it's way too early in the process to say whether that will happen.

Will there be any news about how Tim Connolly is doing? Was all that surgery successful? Anyone heard anything?

Trying to keep him injury-free this offseason, the Sabres met with NASA scientists and Star Trek writers to pursue the option of placing TC in a stasis chamber until training camp opens.

Unfortunately the procedure was deemed cost-prohibitive by TG and LQ, so they settled on locking TC in a padded room with a video camera watching his every move.

Trying to keep him injury-free this offseason, the Sabres met with NASA scientists and Star Trek writers to pursue the option of placing TC in a stasis chamber until training camp opens.

Unfortunately the procedure was deemed cost-prohibitive by TG and LQ, so they settled on locking TC in a padded room with a video camera watching his every move.

Just hope he's tide down too. Even TC could find a way to hurt himself in a padded room.

post-1428-1219957941_thumbjpg

Hello Larry

Archived