OT - What Might Have Been...

Screamin'Weasel

Thought I'd pass this along to you all. According to a book entitled The Names of the Games: The Stories behind the Nicknames of 102 Pro Football, Basketball, Baseball, and Hockey Teams, by Mike Lessiter (a bit out of date as there are 122 teams amoung those four sports), Buffalo considered the following names for their new NHL franchise:

• Bees
  • Mugwumps
  • Flying Zeppelins
  • Knoxen
  • Herd
  • Border Riders
  • Comets

Are you serious?? Mugwumps? What the Hell is a Mugwump?

Knoxen? I mean, c'mon! No one would get the play on "oxen" if you didn't know who the Knoxes were.

Flying Zepplins? Amoungst some of the other choices, this one is not that bad, but do we really need the "flying" in there?

Border Riders would make Buffalo the only city where both its professional sports teams could not have a logo to illustrate the teams' names without ignoring the team name and just using the "Buffalo" part. Wait...where are the sabres in the logo again?

And on that note, hey Carp, how about a few quick mock up uniforms for the above mentioned team names? If I get some time (or an inkling what a Mugwump is) perhaps I'll throw one out there.

Actually, I was just on my way here to update what a Mugwump was.

The Mugwumps were Republican political activists who supported Democratic candidate Grover Cleveland in the United States presidential election of 1884. They switched parties because they rejected the financial corruption associated with Republican candidate, James Blaine. In a close election the Mugwumps supposedly made the difference in New York state and swung the election to Cleveland.

Shrader, as for "considered" I did not read the book myself, just saw a post elswhere that cited those names, according to that book, as being considered for the new franchise.

As for "considered" I did not read the book myself, just saw a post elswhere that cited those names, according to that book, as being considered for the new franchise.

So would the Mugwumps mascot be Grover Cleveland?

So would the Mugwumps mascot be Grover Cleveland?

post-733-1217616549_thumbjpg

"1884 cartoon in Puck magazine ridicules Blaine as the tattooed-man, with many indelible scandals. The cartoon image is a parody of Phryne before the Aeropagus, a 1861 painting by French artist Jean-L?on G?r?me."

Perhaps the tattooed Blaine as the logo? Also, how funny is it that in this discussion, the name of the magazine featuring that political cartoon was named Puck?

Was Quinny around in those days? Mugwumps, Flying Zeppelins, Knoxen & Border Riders? :blink: :blink: I could see Comets being considered seriously and a very slim chance of Bees or Herd. The rest are friggin' ridiculous.

* Bees

* Mugwumps

* Flying Zeppelins

* Knoxen

* Herd

* Border Riders

* Comets

I think I may have to update the Sabres' Wiki page as shown:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_Sabres

Wanting a different name other than "bison" that was so common among Buffalo sports teams, the Knoxes immediately commissioned a name-the-team contest. The winning choice, "Sabres," was chosen because Seymour Knox felt a sabre was a weapon carried by a leader and because all of the other choices were really, really lame. He also noted that a sabre is swift and strong on offense as well as defense.

Shrader, as for "considered" I did not read the book myself, just saw a post elswhere that cited those names, according to that book, as being considered for the new franchise.

I think that "considered" means they were some of the other entires in the contest.

I seem to remember one of the choices was the "Screaming Blue Meemies". (creative as 1970s Buffalo was)

I'd like to see the team renamed the Buffalo Soldiers.

I was actually kicking around a logo for my "something different" thread based slightly on that. The most straightforward version would be something of similar style/shape to the old KC Scouts' logo, but with a soldier instead of an "indian". In his hand would, of course, be a sabre extended out signaling a "CHARGE!" The pose would also be a little more dramatic; less static. In a slightly more abstract version, he would be riding a Buffalo, not a horse.

I've always wanted Warhawks to be a Buffalo team name, since Curtiss-Wright produced them here.

Not so fast... Curtiss was the first company to jilt BFLO and start the downward economic slide after WWII... Even after first promising not to move.

I think there was a contest for the name?... So a lot of these names were thrown out there by regular people.

How they hit upon Sabres had to be pure luck... Considering these not so great ones!

Random stupid question that just came to mind. If this thread is about the Sabres, how is it off topic?

Meh...I marked it as OT because it is not about Buffalo Sabres hockey, per se.

Besides, it's actually about the Buffalo Bees, Buffalo Mugwumps, Buffalo Flying Zepplins, Buffalo Knoxen, Buffalo Herd, Buffalo Border Riders and Buffalo Comets. ;)

All I want is some frickin' sharks with frickin' laser beams..... :lol:

Now evidently my cycloptic colleague informs me that that cannot be done. Ah, would you remind me what I pay you people for, honestly? Throw me a bone here! What do we have?

Sea Bass.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Archived