Rivet is heard from...

LabattBlue

I love the bit about the real estate agent almost laughing him off the phone. So what would a primo 5,000 sf house go for in Buffalo or what would $2 mil. buy you? I'm in the market for neither and don't know Buffalo that well (don't all the pro players tend to live in Amherst or one of the other Burbs). I don't think you could find a property for $2 mil in my part of NYS (Watkins Glen) except for lately when the locals have been trying to reel in the downstate sucker fish who think they're getting a bargain and taking advantage of the country bumpkins.

Anyway, would be interesting to hear about Buffalo real estate is someone on the board is knowledgeable. Personally I always thought it would be cool to take some of those architecturally magnificent buildings in the downtown area and convert them to apartments. That's what's happened every other place we've lived in the U.S. (Norfolk, Kansas City, Dallas). What's the obstacle in Buffalo? I saw an article on this awhile ago (loft conversions with water views in Buffalo) but couldn't find any sizable activity going on.

They're making progress in Buffalo on old building conversions. Check out www.buffalorising.com. They usually have some good updates (just make sure you try and read around all the BS on there; it can be a little childish sometimes.) But they tend to keep a good eye on what is being renovated, knocked down, and sitting dormant. Buffalo is getting there, it's just taking time.

I'll never forget Danny Gare's reactions when he was traded. It was a classic.

I don't remember Gare, but I remember Schony crying on Rick Azar's shoulder ... that is one thing though, I can't rip a guy for that, he wasn't complaining about the destination so much as just being sad to leave. Same with Rivet to a point, but he also admits to preconceived notions about Buffalo, which I am impressed he kept to himself until he could check it out.

Well, I guess that those of us who were suspicious about the silence are validated. I don't blame the guy though. He just signed a decent deal in San Jose, had a home built from the gound up, and loved the team and city. Then they trade him because they decided to overpay an aging Rob Blake and trade for an overpaid defenseman in Dan Boyle. He's got to feel a little insulted. But that's how it goes in pro sports.

He'll warm up to Buffalo when he takes the ice on opening night against his former team, and hears the roar of nearly 19,000 fans.

Well, I guess that those of us who were suspicious about the silence are validated. I don't blame the guy though. He just signed a decent deal in San Jose, had a home built from the gound up, and loved the team and city. Then they trade him because they decided to overpay an aging Rob Blake and trade for an overpaid defenseman in Dan Boyle. He's got to feel a little insulted. But that's how it goes in pro sports.

He'll warm up to Buffalo when he takes the ice on opening night against his former team, and hears the roar of nearly 19,000 fans.

When was the last time a Sabre crowd roared? :)

It's probably just Bucky being Bucky, stirring up some sh*t, taking a five-minute conversation on the phone and weaving it into this mythical tale, but...

What if he really doesn't want to be here? What if Mrs. Rivet hates Buffalo? Will they go Mrs. Pronger on us?

Sounds like you're doing the same thing.

Anyways, in some respect, I feel for the guy. He's forced to pack up his family and move from where he thought he'd live for a while. I don't care how much one makes, it's not always easy. It's good news that the fear of moving here can be overcome by the word of mouth of people that live and have lived here.

I know... In IL, I pay about 30 bucks on every $1,000... It isn't taxes chasing people and business out of NYS. It is just a scapegoat.

$17 per $1,000 assumes the market value is the listing price - the place is probably valued at 2/3 the listing price so the real tax rate is probably closer to $30 per $1,000.

We pay about 2.5% of the market value here in Texas (or $25 per $1,000 in value) - my parents pay over 3% in Schuyler County. Big difference is no state income tax here - what's it up to in NYS now? 7-8%. What's sales tax in NYS? 8.25% in Texas. I agree that it's easy to gripe about high taxes driving people out of New York and that it might be a scapegoat but there is definitely some truth to the matter. No matter, I guess paying unemployment benefits to some cross-dressing, drug addict in NYC who's qualified as disabled because they can't work in their chosen profession without getting the sex change operation is a "valid" use of state funds and therefore all the NYS taxpayers should just deal with it.

Personally I & most of my high school classmates left NY because of the lack of employment. Maybe that's changed now but in the late 80s early 90s, there wasn't a lot of decent paying professional level jobs open (unless you wanted to work for the State and those were hard to come by). I hope the Internet has leveled the field somewhat - anyone know if that's the case?

No matter, I guess paying unemployment benefits to some cross-dressing, drug addict in NYC who's qualified as disabled because they can't work in their chosen profession without getting the sex change operation is a "valid" use of state funds and therefore all the NYS taxpayers should just deal with it.

What funny is, from what I hear, the down-staters (from a friend that grew up on LI) think that all the taxes go to supporting farm subsidies for up-staters.

Personally I & most of my high school classmates left NY because of the lack of employment. Maybe that's changed now but in the late 80s early 90s, there wasn't a lot of decent paying professional level jobs open (unless you wanted to work for the State and those were hard to come by). I hope the Internet has leveled the field somewhat - anyone know if that's the case?

Agreed. I hear there's a few tech jobs going back to Buffalo, but I look every once in awhile and don't see anything compared the glut of jobs you see along the east coast.

Those seem about right to be. I pay (in PA) $23 per $1000, and that house is $17 per $1000. So, stop your bitching about NY taxes. :)

I pay 6000 a year in Kenmore...My house is 2300 square feet..BITCH BITCH BITCH...Can you hear that..LOL

Archived