Does this mean we are done with signing blueliners?

carpandean

64.3% in 53 games played. He seems to be a perfect fit for the Sabres needs.

I am so concerned about the center position this season so much so that I would make an offer to Curtis Brown. He won 59.2% of his 179 faceoffs taken. I like Roy as the #1 center and Gaustad as the #4. I have no faith in Connolly's ability to stay healthy as well as zero faith in MacArthur's ability to fill in long term when, not if, Connolly goes down and Hecht moves to center. I prefer Hecht and Mair to play of the wings.

My alltime Sabre underachiever

My alltime Sabre underachiever

Really? I had him as a very underrated player - very good on the PK, chipped in 15+ goals most years, was good on draws, very good in his own end...I think a lot of people expected more of him than he was capable of, but IMO he was a very good 3rd-line center/role player.

EDIT: Yet another shining example of Wiki's credibility. Check out his Wiki page and look at his draft team and pro career in the side box on the right.

What did it say before? (Somebody fixed it.)

Edit: nevermind, I compared versions. 98th in 1998 by the Sharks? Somebody is an idiot.

Yeah, I was so ticked that I edited it. They had the right info in the article text, but not in the pull-out box. Morons.

Apparently his career started when he was traded to SJ...

A tiny guy that can't hit, skate, or score anymore?

He can win a draw though.

I was mostly kidding since Deluca was looking for a face-off guy and few are better than Yanic. That said, for the Sabres, he's pretty average size (5' 11", 189 lbs.) and, other than last season in Chicago, he has been a pretty consistent 20+ goal scorer (especially if you extrapolate to 82 games) for a decade. In Phoenix, during the first 49 games of the 2006-07 season, he was on a 32G, 22A pace. He would definitely be a role player at this point, but he's not completely useless. I'd take him for $1-1.5M (he only made $1.5M last year) vs. Max at $3.33 (if they can find a "bag of pucks" offer to take), as you could put that extra $2M into another defenseman.

A tiny guy that can't hit, skate, or score anymore?

He can win a draw though.

So thats why you have him skate out on every line to take the draw, then quickly have him skate to the bench to be replaced by someone else who can do the rest. Why not just sign someone that will take every faceoff?

*Let me just say that this is just a joke, and I am not actually thinking the Sabres should do that

Reasoner would be a nice pickup(a solid 2 way vet forward for the 3rd or 4th line that I have been asking for two years running now), but the bottom line is DR doesn't like to sign other teams FA. Not expensive ones, not cheap ones. He only signed Pratt out of necessity, because his elite injury prone defense didn't turn out the way they thought it would.

The problem as I see it is that the Sabres have too many 3rd and 4th liners already, they need those players that can improve the 1st and 2nd lines

Reasoner is from the Rochester area also, I think he would be a good sign....... :thumbsup:

I really hope you'd put more thought into it than just that, because that kind of logic drives me crazy. It goes well with all the pick up Aaron Miller or Kevyn Adams talk from recent years. Yeah, they're local, but they add very little to a team at this stage in their careers. Now I'm not throwing Reasoner under that label at the moment, but I want more reason than just "he's a local".

And yes, I'm sure you just threw that out there in addition to what has already been mentioned, but I had to go off on this mini-rant anyway.

I am so concerned about the center position this season so much so that I would make an offer to Curtis Brown. He won 59.2% of his 179 faceoffs taken. I like Roy as the #1 center and Gaustad as the #4. I have no faith in Connolly's ability to stay healthy as well as zero faith in MacArthur's ability to fill in long term when, not if, Connolly goes down and Hecht moves to center. I prefer Hecht and Mair to play of the wings.

Really? I had him as a very underrated player - very good on the PK, chipped in 15+ goals most years, was good on draws, very good in his own end...I think a lot of people expected more of him than he was capable of, but IMO he was a very good 3rd-line center/role player.

EDIT: Yet another shining example of Wiki's credibility. Check out his Wiki page and look at his draft team and pro career in the side box on the right.

I always liked Brownie back in the Dominik era. But I think he's at the end of the road -- I think SJ healthy-scratched him pretty frequently last year, esp. in the playoffs.

And, Wolf, that's a bit harsh on Wikipedia, if I may say so. Everyone knows it's user-created content and as such is not to be relied on without corroboration. Even so, it's a pretty good resource, esp. considering that it didn't exist a few years ago. And it's not like there aren't frequent, significant mistakes in more established publications.

I always liked Brownie back in the Dominik era. But I think he's at the end of the road -- I think SJ healthy-scratched him pretty frequently last year, esp. in the playoffs.

And, Wolf, that's a bit harsh on Wikipedia, if I may say so. Everyone knows it's user-created content and as such is not to be relied on without corroboration. Even so, it's a pretty good resource, esp. considering that it didn't exist a few years ago. And it's not like there aren't frequent, significant mistakes in more established publications.

Brown was hurt for much of the season - hand injury back in January, IIRC - but I don't know when he was healthy down the stretch.

EDIT: He missed 26 games from Jan 20- March 19, but came back and played nine regular season games and played in 7 playoff games - 0-0-0, -2, 4 PIM, won 28/47 playoff faceoffs (59.6%.) NHL.com stats LINK

As for Wiki - I understand what you're saying, and while I use Wiki as much as anyone, it's real hard to defend Wiki's accuracy when you see mistakes like that. The "other publications make mistakes too" excuse doesn't fly - not when the right information was in the text of the entry but the pullout box, two inches away, was wrong. (I also wonder how much incorrect information you would find in printed encyclopedias.)

I fully support the concept of Wiki but the system needs to be changed, IMO. There definitely needs to be some accountability for the information posted. Someone needs to be restricting the editing of these pages, volunteering to fact check and copy edit, something. It's just too easy to post incorrect information (and in some cases, slanted information based on personal agendas) and too many people don't take Wiki's entries with a grain of salt. (I also don't like how people will cite web pages but when you click on the citation the referring page is gone. Wiki needs to find a way to cache those pages or eliminate them from being used as citations.)

The simple answer to this post is yes.

Tallinder - Lydman

Spacek - Rivet

Weber - Sekera

Paetsch

Signing Teppo or Pratt would be considered a back up to these other guys but I really dont think they will do it. And I know a lot of people will say that Weber or Sekera shouldn't be on the starting line up this season but it's the sabres. You know they always make us scratch our heads for no good reason whatsoever.

Sorry, looks like it's too late on our old favorite, Curtis Brown. Apparently, he has signed a 2 year deal with the Kloten Flyers of the Swiss League. http://www.mercurynews.com/sports/ci_9919970

I guess he'll be facing off against Alexandre Daigle this upcoming season.

Just a side note on the Wiki debate - I came across this article earlier today. Seems Google has released their own webpedia (entitled "Knol") which requires authors and editors to identify themselves, which theoretically gives some modicum of credibility and legitimacy to their input. I think there's always going to be issues with user-submitted content, but this is a step in the right direction, IMO.

Obviously being a brand-new release, Knol has just a fraction of Wiki's content.

MSNBC Story Link

Knol Link

Just a side note on the Wiki debate - I came across this article earlier today. Seems Google has released their own webpedia (entitled "Knol") which requires authors and editors to identify themselves, which theoretically gives some modicum of credibility and legitimacy to their input. I think there's always going to be issues with user-submitted content, but this is a step in the right direction, IMO.

Interesting. How long before there a big pissing contest when authors start using the copy and paste method to populate Knol with Wiki info?

Interesting. How long before there a big pissing contest when authors start using the copy and paste method to populate Knol with Wiki info?

Good question, especially considering this:

The contributing author and Google will share any revenue generated from the ads, which are supposed to be related to the topic covered in the knol.

Any time money is involved it exponentially increases the likelihood that someone will try to cheat the system.

Archived