The Official "Captain" Thread

BamBam

Am I the only person who wants a "grizzled" type of player as the captain? The only guys on this roster that fit that mold are Rivet and Gaustad.

Enough with all these softie types. I want a guy that everyone is a little scared of, and that guy is Rivet.

Am I the only person who wants a "grizzled" type of player as the captain? The only guys on this roster that fit that mold are Rivet and Gaustad.

Enough with all these softie types. I want a guy that everyone is a little scared of, and that guy is Rivet.

No, I agree completely. I'd love to give it to Rivet. I just don't want to jump on the "let's give the new guy the C!" wagon. I certainly wouldn't have a problem with Rivet earning it during the pre-season though.

No, I agree completely. I'd love to give it to Rivet. I just don't want to jump on the "let's give the new guy the C!" wagon. I certainly wouldn't have a problem with Rivet earning it during the pre-season though.

He would have that thing sewn onto his jersey by his second shift.

why does it have to be an old veteran that gets the C? I don't get that all the time... if we had one that has been with us and deserves it, fine... but I'm not big on giving it to a guy who hasn't played a game for us yet and hasn't really played with his teammates yet. Teppo is one thing, he's been here a few years and I have no problem with that IF he's here... but why not a Pommers, everyone was saying "give him the C long term" after the last month of last season... now all of a sudden Rivet is the front runner? I'm fine with several choices, but I agree if Pommers doesn't sign long term, not sure if we should give it to him. Maybe I'll love Rivet, hopefully I will, but right now he's just a guy... until I see him with the jersey on, it's hard to treat him with the same emotion as the rest of the guys. and like someone said, I'll probably love him by his second shift and maybe we'll all be saying, "yep, he should be the captain"... but I don't know how I would react if I was in the locker room for the last 3 years working my butt off for this team and some new guy walks in and I'm told he's the leader and his last name isn't Gretzky, Messier, Lemieux, etc.

My choice are as follows:

C - Hecht

A - Teppo (if he comes back)

A - Pominville

A - Roy or Rivet (if Teppo does not come back)

Rivet is a good, solid player, but I don't think he needs to have a letter on his sweater to necessarily be a leader. I'm not a big fan of giving a letter to the new guy just because. Rivet did not start wearing a letter until this past season in San Jose, he did not come in as an A immediately after his trade from Montreal. Similarly, I don't think he should be getting a letter to start with here in Buffalo. In my opinion, Hecht deserves to be captain because of his two-way play and I felt like he added a lot of leadership and scored a couple of important goals in the clutch last year. I think 2-3 years from now, Roy and Pominville will be our co-captains, but right now I'm okay with giving them the As but not a C, yet.

I don't think I would give it to anyone that played on that team last year. Isn't the captain supposed to be the "leader". The guy that can rally the troops. I don't think anyone actually fit that role last year with the way they played. You don't just give it to the best player, you give it to the team leader.

I don't think I would give it to anyone that played on that team last year. Isn't the captain supposed to be the "leader". The guy that can rally the troops. I don't think anyone actually fit that role last year with the way they played. You don't just give it to the best player, you give it to the team leader.

:worthy:

Give it to Miller!

/mostoflastyear

I like Goose just like the next guy, but I want our Captain to be on the ice more then on the bench. I feel your captain should be a leader in minutes played per game. I see Roy, Pommer, Spacho, Rivet, even Hecht being those guys.

Roy hasn't had a chance to wear the C. I'd give him that opportunity.

I like Goose just like the next guy, but I want our Captain to be on the ice more then on the bench. I feel your captain should be a leader in minutes played per game. I see Roy, Pommer, Spacho, Rivet, even Hecht being those guys.

By that logic only defensemen and star players would be captains.

There shouldn't be any "time on ice" criteria or anything like that. The captain should be the most-respected guy in the dressing room, the guy that everyone looks to when times are tough, the guy who sets an example for everyone else, and the guy who demands the best from everyone on the roster. I don't care if he plays 3 minutes a game or 30 minutes a game.

By that logic only defensemen and star players would be captains.

There shouldn't be any "time on ice" criteria or anything like that. The captain should be the most-respected guy in the dressing room, the guy that everyone looks to when times are tough, the guy who sets an example for everyone else, and the guy who demands the best from everyone on the roster. I don't care if he plays 3 minutes a game or 30 minutes a game.

Don't you want your captain though to be on the ice at critical times? I sure do. I also want to know that my captain is going to be part of the team for the next few years. In just my opinion I keep coming back to Roy as fitting the bill when it comes to those areas.

First, I would like to say thanks for this thread. I have been to worried about the UFA/RFA drama. I constantly have ot remind myself, they ended up 4 points out last year.

Second I would like to chime in:

C= Hecth, Pommer (or Teppo if he is back)

A's= Roy (without a doubt), SpaceMan, Hecht, Pommer, Goose, Mair, Hank (because that may be just what he needs)

As for RIVET and TEPPO, no letters. My reasoning is these guys are proven veterans. Teppo made a noticeable difference in the last game. The D and the rest of the team seemed calmer, not because he was wearing the C/A, because he was there. Rivet, he is new. Personally, let those guys be the captain's role model. Both Teppo and Rivet can be guys who can, without the letter, be a sound leader for the team. Giving the C to a younger Pommer, Roy, or Hecht could be the push they need, likewise, placing A on Goose or Mair hopefully will build the grit which this team desperately needs.

All in all, I hope the monthly-C is done. MAYBE a good idea for last year, but this year this model shouldn't be necessary.

Roy hasn't had a chance to wear the C. I'd give him that opportunity.

I am torn on Roy ... he has always had to prove people wrong because of his size, so he is one of the few still playing with a chip on his shoulder ... so I like that about him in this regard ... the whole team had it in 2005-06, then they became "The Favorite" and lost their edge. Maybe if he had the C he could bring it back ...

On the other hand, I can't get the image of what a metrosexual pretty boy he is after seeing that profile in between periods with his "personal assistant" and such ... I am having trouble reconciling that image with my image of a hockey team captain.

Don't you want your captain though to be on the ice at critical times? I sure do. I also want to know that my captain is going to be part of the team for the next few years. In just my opinion I keep coming back to Roy as fitting the bill when it comes to those areas.

Not necessarily. I don't want someone given the C just because he's on the ice at crucial times. I want someone who is a true leader in the dressing room wearing the C. Whether that guy is on the ice at crucial times is secondary to his ability to keep the roster together and upbeat, to kick someone in butt when needed, whatever.

I think the case can be made for Roy without the "on the ice at crucial times" argument.

First, I would like to say thanks for this thread. I have been to worried about the UFA/RFA drama. I constantly have ot remind myself, they ended up 4 points out last year.

Second I would like to chime in:

C= Hecth, Pommer (or Teppo if he is back)

A's= Roy (without a doubt), SpaceMan, Hecht, Pommer, Goose, Mair, Hank (because that may be just what he needs)

As for RIVET and TEPPO, no letters. My reasoning is these guys are proven veterans. Teppo made a noticeable difference in the last game. The D and the rest of the team seemed calmer, not because he was wearing the C/A, because he was there. Rivet, he is new. Personally, let those guys be the captain's role model. Both Teppo and Rivet can be guys who can, without the letter, be a sound leader for the team. Giving the C to a younger Pommer, Roy, or Hecht could be the push they need, likewise, placing A on Goose or Mair hopefully will build the grit which this team desperately needs.

All in all, I hope the monthly-C is done. MAYBE a good idea for last year, but this year this model shouldn't be necessary.

First off, welcome to the board.

Second - I don't want to see any of the letters used as carrots or sticks to push someone into a leadership role (and I don't think that by putting a letter on a gritty player that the team will start to play more physical in turn.)

By your definition Teppo would be the ideal choice - veteran leader, settles everyone down, probably very well respected in the dressing room. Those are the qualities I want in a captain.

On the other hand, I can't get the image of what a metrosexual pretty boy he is after seeing that profile in between periods with his "personal assistant" and such ... I am having trouble reconciling that image with my image of a hockey team captain.

Agreed, that PA and meterosexual vibe is tough to shake.

I think Gaustad and Roy are not realistic possibilities, since they didn't get a sniff of it last year, when we were desperate for leadership.

I'd guess the following is the most likely:

C - Hecht

A - Pominville

A - Teppo (if he comes back) or Spacek (if Teppo doesn't come back)

Archived