1st Round: Pick #12 - D Tyler Myers

SabresFan526

Nice pick for Buffalo!!!!

Tyler Myers

Listed at just over 6'7", he is the tallest North American skater ranked by Central Scouting.

- Was selected to represent Team Canada at the Under-18 World Championships in April 2008 ? had previously played for the U.S. in other international events but with his participation in the World Championships for Canada, an IIHF sanctioned tournament, he will no longer be eligible to represent the U.S.

- Played for the Notre Dame Hounds in the Saskatchewan Midget AAA league before playing for the Kelowna Rockets. Other draft-eligible Notre Dame alumni included Jordan Eberle (ranked 24th) and Geordie Wudrick (ranked 69th).

- Participated in the 2008 CHL Top Prospects Game.

- Moved away from Houston, Texas at the age of 10.

- Part of his pre-game routine is a shower at the rink before every game to get him focused for the game.

- His most memorable hockey moment was winning the bronze medal at the 2007 Canada Winter Games playing with Team Alberta.

- He patterns his game after Chris Pronger, "trying to keep the game as simple as possible" and he wears number three because his dad wore the number when he played.

- Credits his dad for having had the most influence on his career ? "he has always pushed me to reach my full potential".

- The best advice he has ever received is a Kevin Costner quote from the movie Bull Durham ? "Don't think Meat. It can only hurt the club".

- If he could invite any three people to dinner he would choose: Jarome Iginla, Bobby Orr and Mario Lemieux.

- If he could be in any one movie he would choose Wedding Crashers and if he wasn't playing hockey he would be a coach.

FAVORITES

NHL Team: Calgary Flames

NHL Player: Calgary's Robyn Regehr

Shootout move: "fake shot, backhand, forehand ? top shelf"

Goal celebration: "Double fist pump"

Video Game: Grand Theft Auto

Movie: Forest Gump

TV Show: 24

Actor: Adam Sandler

Group: Journey

Book: Harry Potter

Pump-up song: Turn Me Up by Benny Benassi

Food to cook: Steak

Sport (other than hockey): Volleyball

Activity away from the rink: Going out for dinner

Toy growing up: Laser tag set

Place to shop: Below the Belt

Place to visit: Grandparents in Harrisburg, PA

STATISTICS

Season Team League GP G A PTS PIM

2006-07 Kelowna WHL 59 2 13 15 78

2007-08 Kelowna WHL 65 6 13 19 97

NHL Director of Central Scouting, E.J. McGuire

Strengths: "His height differentiates him from the rest of the draft-eligible defensemen ? he towers above all the other players. He is not often burned by the small, quick players and because of the emphasis in today's NHL on a lack of restraining type of play, I think Tyler has adjusted well to that and is more ready to play in the new NHL than a lot of the other smaller players."

Areas to improve: "Improvements can be made with his continued maturity. I don't know that he needs to work on anything other than continuing to work on foot speed, continuing to work on coordination. He's got a rocket shot from the point on the power-play and that is never going to leave him."

Outlook: "Tyler is the tallest player among the top-rated players. As a defenseman, that height translates into a great poke-check and great stick work. At 6'7", he still has a little bit of growing into his body to do. Obviously comparisons are made to Zdeno Chara, who, it has been said, actually as a junior stumbled when he played for St. George. There may be a night when the large feet of Myers get in his way a little bit, but to hear scouts talk, they won't get in his way for very many more years."

Well, who knows? I like the fact that he's big, fast, and wants to play like Pronger. Kind of worried that his favorite band is Journey. Since we traded up one slot for him, I'd assume that he's one of the guys Darcy really wanted. In any case we won't see him in the blue and gold until 2010 at the earliest.

At this point though I'm not expecting a real trade out of the Sabres tonight. Maybe tomorrow.

Mayers seems like a big project player. The reward is very high but the risk is very high too. I wish we had made a bigger splash and moved up. Kyle Beach or some other forward but alot of the good forwards went early i see. I don't know what to say about Ennis, another small player but he did score alot in the WHL which is very hard to do for small players so maybe he will just be fine.

One thing about Mayers that worries me, he's just got into his first hockey fight this past season. If he wants to play and be like a Chara he's going to need to be meaner.

Mayers seems like a big project player. The reward is very high but the risk is very high too. I wish we had made a bigger splash and moved up. Kyle Beach or some other forward but alot of the good forwards went early i see. I don't know what to say about Ennis, another small player but he did score alot in the WHL which is very hard to do for small players so maybe he will just be fine.

One thing about Mayers that worries me, he's just got into his first hockey fight this past season. If he wants to play and be like a Chara he's going to need to be meaner.

Well if he does get into some fights, at least he's got the reach on anyone but Chara?

"They traded with the LA Kings to draft the first Tyler. The Sabres moved from 13th to 12th to get 6'7" defenseman Tyler Myers. Myers was born in Houston, Texas, but moved to Western Canada when he was ten years old. Myers is young, just 17, and weighs in at 204 pounds. Myers tries to keep his game as simple as possible. He patterns it after Chris Pronger. He played for Kelowna of the WHL. He is likened to Bruins defenseman Zdeno Charra."

http://www.wgrz.com/news/local/story.aspx?...812&catid=4

Selection video:

I live in Kelowna and watched the kid play many times this past year. He is GONNA be a player and I'm thrilled with this pick. Quality kid for one.

He'll fill out in the next 2 to 3 years and be a solid player on our team for years to come.

He's got huge reach and tonnes of upswing. Give him some seasoning and he's gonna be a beauty.

Love this pick.

I wouldn't call him a project though. He's gonna need some time but he'll be a player for sure. His stock rose huge this past year. He wasn't on the radar prior to this year. He'll be a great addition. Nicely done Darcy.

Everyone wants a player now but that's not always a reality. He's just 17 so give it some time and don't be negative. Too much negativity already. Maybe you guys wanted another Czech player or other Euro pansy. This kid is a great choice.

When you here the first thing out of the annoucers mouth that he is a project its hard too feel really good about this pick. I was personally hopeing for a player with this pick that we could use immediately or put in portland for a bit not a two to three year project!!

I live in Kelowna and watched the kid play many times this past year. He is GONNA be a player and I'm thrilled with this pick. Quality kid for one.

He'll fill out in the next 2 to 3 years and be a solid player on our team for years to come.

He's got huge reach and tonnes of upswing. Give him some seasoning and he's gonna be a beauty.

Love this pick.

I wouldn't call him a project though. He's gonna need some time but he'll be a player for sure. His stock rose huge this past year. He wasn't on the radar prior to this year. He'll be a great addition. Nicely done Darcy.

Everyone wants a player now but that's not always a reality. He's just 17 so give it some time and don't be negative. Too much negativity already. Maybe you guys wanted another Czech player or other Euro pansy. This kid is a great choice.

When I heard he was from your neck of the woods, I was waiting for your G2. Glad to hear you see him as a quality pick.

I can't really get too excited about any of these picks. They all will take years to develop and I'll probably forget about them for years too. This is why hockey is so different than the NFL.

Love this pick.

There we go. Thanks Rickshaw. I agree -- the negativity around here about this pick is ridiculous. As if anyone spouting this criticism has any idea how good of a player he's going to be. OTOH, you've actually seen him play and you like him.

Go Sabres.

This concerns our first pick and I didn't think it deserved it's own full thread, so I figured I'd post this blog article I spotted on Yahoo here:

Bellowing Buffalo of the Mezzanine

Saturday, Jun 21, 2008 12:59 am EDT

The Bellowing Buffalo of the Mezzanine

By Greg Wyshynski

Note to NHL: Perhaps next year, we hold the draft in a public library. Or a Starbucks. Or someplace else, where the wireless Internet may, in fact, work at some point during the evening for more than five seconds. Sheesh. Here begins the coverage we wished we could have provided you last night.

Scotiabank Place was characteristically silent before Buffalo selected the 12th overall pick, when that hush was penetrated by a jarring sound from the mezzanine:

"Let's go Buff-a-lo!"

It was a two-person chant from Ian, 32, and Ludovic, 29, clad in classic blue and gold Buffalo Sabres jerseys and large plush hats that resembled the one Fred Flintstone wore to meetings of the Loyal Order of the Water Buffalo. Other than team management and that kid with the Mogilny jersey I saw in the lobby, they may have been the only Sabres fans in the joint.

Other than a brief starring role on the arena Jumbotron, what possesses two puckheads to unleash such a vocal performance at the draft?

"It's hardcore, man. Buffalo's the team, and the fans love it," said Ian. "When you come right down to it, Ottawa is a quiet little town full of bureaucrats. This [will] rile them up a little bit."

But you didn't even have a lottery pick.

"Well, we didn't have the playoffs this year," he said.

The Sabres pulled a minor surprise by swapping picks with the Los Angeles Kings to select Tyler Myers from the WHL Kelowna Rockets. He's a project, no doubt, but one worth the risk: Myers is a 6-foot-7 defenseman.

Yeah, he gets the Zdeno Chara thing a lot.

"I think every meeting I've had there's been that comparison to Chara," he said.

"I'd take that comparison any day. He's definitely a guy I watch to see how he plays the game, because we have similar body types. I feel I want to skate more than he does, so we'll see what happens."

Skate more than Chara? Is anyone else drooling over two giraffes in a skills competition?

Up in the cheap seats, Ian was pleased with Myers's selection.

It's good for Buffalo, after all. "He's going to start at defensive end to the Bills, and play defense for the Sabres."

This concerns our first pick and I didn't think it deserved it's own full thread, so I figured I'd post this blog article I spotted on Yahoo here:

Bellowing Buffalo of the Mezzanine

Although everyone compares him to Chara - some here compare him to Mike Wilson, even though they have never seen him play. What if Mike Wilson never played for Buffalo? What dismal failure would we have to compare him to then?

Myers is the guy I wanted at D.

6'7" is going to cover a lot of ice with that reach, and he's a good enough skater that he won't have to reach much.

Having someone with that wingspan and a good point shot is just too tempting for the power play.

Now it is wait and see.

Although everyone compares him to Chara - some here compare him to Mike Wilson, even though they have never seen him play. What if Mike Wilson never played for Buffalo? What dismal failure would we have to compare him to then?

I saw plenty of him..More than enough to be exact...Adam Crieghton is a forward who was tall and lanky..

I saw plenty of him..More than enough to be exact...Adam Crieghton is a forward who was tall and lanky..

I might be wrong but I think he meant no one here has seen Myers play (aside from rickshaw) not Wilson.

It's tough to take the announcers seriously when, right before our first pick, Pierre Maguire makes the comment about "going D because thye need help there, and guys like Spacek and Kalinin aren't getting any younger."

Archived