1st Round: Pick #12 - D Tyler Myers

SabresFan526

There we go. Thanks Rickshaw. I agree -- the negativity around here about this pick is ridiculous. As if anyone spouting this criticism has any idea how good of a player he's going to be. OTOH, you've actually seen him play and you like him.

Go Sabres.

It's tough to get excited about a player you won't see for sometime, but that is reality in hockey most of the time. The pluses are, he's a WHL boy so he's been through the grind so to speak. He's a good quality kid with a good attitude. He is young. He is big and he will only fill out more and more as each year goes by. His reach is huge.

As for the physical side. I was actually at the game where he got in his lone fight. Handled himself ok. Nothing too serious. He won't have to fight much anyway, because by the time he gets to the show, he'll be so big and strong he'll flick most guys away with a simple swat. We need someone who can clear the front of the net. And the fact he's such a good skater at his size is a huge bonus.

He will not be the next Mike Wilson. Now is the time to be happy we got a good North American boy on our team, instead of the Euro guys we've been constantly adding over the years. Need more of the kids from this side of the pond.

Now it's time to make some nice trades and upgrade.

I think that he's a bit of a gamble, but anybody outside of the top 2 or 3 picks will be. However, his upside (pun intended) is huge. I don't know about anyone here, but when I was a freshman in college, I rowed lightweight eights (crew) in the NCAA. That means that at 6'2", I was still under 155 lbs. By my Junior year, I was over 190 lbs. He has the height (which can't be taught) and it sounds like he can skate (which Chara apparantly had to be taught.) Tack another 30-40 lbs on his frame and he will be a big presence. Who knows, with the extra mass, maybe he will gain a little more confidence in his physical abilities. I'm ok with it and since most "experts" had him going that high or higher (CSS had him 4th amoung North American skaters; ahead of guys picked 4, 5, 7-11), it can't have been too bad of a pick.

It's tough to get excited about a player you won't see for sometime, but that is reality in hockey most of the time. The pluses are, he's a WHL boy so he's been through the grind so to speak. He's a good quality kid with a good attitude. He is young. He is big and he will only fill out more and more as each year goes by. His reach is huge.

As for the physical side. I was actually at the game where he got in his lone fight. Handled himself ok. Nothing too serious. He won't have to fight much anyway, because by the time he gets to the show, he'll be so big and strong he'll flick most guys away with a simple swat. We need someone who can clear the front of the net. And the fact he's such a good skater at his size is a huge bonus.

He will not be the next Mike Wilson. Now is the time to be happy we got a good North American boy on our team, instead of the Euro guys we've been constantly adding over the years. Need more of the kids from this side of the pond.

Now it's time to make some nice trades and upgrade.

Thanks for that, Rick.

Did you see him get any shots off?

FWIW, here's a little item from James Mirtle on Myers, in the context of an overall statement of how much of a crapshoot the draft is:

Let's face it, picking winners and losers based on Friday night's first rounders, at this point, is an almost frivolous exercise. There are some players I like that were selected (Zach Bogosian, Tyler Myers) but given we're talking about 18-year-olds, projections are incredibly difficult.

Although everyone compares him to Chara - some here compare him to Mike Wilson, even though they have never seen him play. What if Mike Wilson never played for Buffalo? What dismal failure would we have to compare him to then?

My comparison was based on Myers own words.

But hes still got work to do before turning pro. "Definitely my tenacity in the defensive zone is one of the biggest things,"? Myers said.

That's a very disappointing statement to read. Everyone seems to be in love with the fact he is 6' 7". That's only a positive if he uses his size and is extremely physical. If the kid can't muster up the "tenacity" now I see little hope for the future. He'll need to be a 6' 7" monster for this pick to be successful. From what I have been able to read on this kid it just doesn't seem to be his nature. Much like Mike Wilson who had size but no passion for the game. The Sabres all ready have one 6' 3" defensemen who is afraid of contact they don't need a taller version.

The Sabres still need that guy on the blue line that opposing forwards need to be aware of when they step out on the ice. Maybe one of the later picks will develop into that player.

That's a very disappointing statement to read. Everyone seems to be in love with the fact he is 6' 7". That's only a positive if he uses his size and is extremely physical. If the kid can't muster up the "tenacity" now I see little hope for the future. He'll need to be a 6' 7" monster for this pick to be successful. From what I have been able to read on this kid it just doesn't seem to be his nature. Much like Mike Wilson who had size but no passion for the game. The Sabres all ready have one 6' 3" defensemen who is afraid of contact they don't need a taller version.

Again, though, he is 18 years old, has had several growth spurts over the past couple of years and is currently thin for his height. Being 6' 7" doesn't help much when you are twiggy thin. In fact, tall and thin on skates just makes you easier to knock down. Being that way, though, has helped him learn to play and skate better than if he had started big (was Chara bigger in juniors where he couldn't skate well?) Get him on a program to help him bulk up (nature will tend to help with this, too) and he is more apt to be willing to use his physical side. Plus, from what has been said, he has a lot of heart. Right now, he's playing a more skill-based game, but with 30-40 lbs more mass, that could very well change. I used to play a little more timid until the first time I collided with (can't really say hit, since it was a no-checking league) a finesse player and he went down hard, while I barely moved. After that taste, I learned to like playing a bit more physically. No guarantees, but if it happens, he will be considered one of the top defensemen from this draft (no other defenseman drafted can learn to be his size or have his reach), which I consider worth taking the chance on.

Edit: during the draft process, one of the commentators said he ask Myers about his first fight and Tyler said something along the lines of "I really enjoyed it. I'll be doing more of that next year." Maybe he already had his taste. It should be interesting to see how he plays this year.

The Sabres still need that guy on the blue line that opposing forwards need to be aware of when they step out on the ice. Maybe one of the later picks will develop into that player.

We need that guy now. Unless we had moved up 9 or 10 spots, we weren't getting that player now from the draft. If we are going to acquire that player, it will be through a trade.

So Myers knowing what he needs to work on is a bad thing? He says he wants to work on exactly what everyone here wants to see from him, so a few are ready to call him a bust already. What a joke. At this point, I get the feeling that many people around here demanded the next coming of Gretzky or Orr (and they would be that player immediately) from this draft and anything else would be a complete failure.

Guys we can argue about the pick all day but in the end, I'll be the one gloating on here to all you naysayers when he turns out to be a beauty.

Myers will get bulkier, which will lead to him changing his attitude and being more confident in the rough going. He's a defenseman and he's going to take time. But if the Sabres are patient, he will work out nicely.

He is NOT another Mike Wilson.

Guys we can argue about the pick all day but in the end, I'll be the one gloating on here to all you naysayers when he turns out to be a beauty.

Myers will get bulkier, which will lead to him changing his attitude and being more confident in the rough going. He's a defenseman and he's going to take time. But if the Sabres are patient, he will work out nicely.

He is NOT another Mike Wilson.

But why should we listen to people who have actually seen him play instead of going with completely blind speculation?

So Myers knowing what he needs to work on is a bad thing? He says he wants to work on exactly what everyone here wants to see from him, so a few are ready to call him a bust already. What a joke. At this point, I get the feeling that many people around here demanded the next coming of Gretzky or Orr (and they would be that player immediately) from this draft and anything else would be a complete failure.

There is no drill for intensity. If he doesn't have the passion or desire to dominate in the defensive zone now where is it going to come from? I have to wonder if the only reason he is a first rounder is because he is 6' 7". Being 6' 7" is meaningless unless he is the type of player who is going to use that size to intimidate and make opposing forwards pay that physical price in the Sabres defensive zone.

The last part of your post is as weak as it it lame. I haven't read any post where someone suggested this pick needed to play right away or needed to be of a Hall of Fame quality. I simply brought the question of Myers "tenacity" which he clearly admitted is lacking in his game. It is my feeling that tenacity, intensity or what ever you want to call it is a inherent quality that a player has or is lacking. When I read a young kid saying he doesn't have that quality it raises a huge red flag for me.

But why should we listen to people who have actually seen him play instead of going with completely blind speculation?

LOL. Well if makes anyone feel better. I agree with our scouts on this pick. There, I said it. It's official. As a Kelowna Rocket fan, I am very happy with this pick. No who you gonna listen to? Me or Deluca?

LOL. Well if makes anyone feel better. I agree with our scouts on this pick. There, I said it. It's official. As a Kelowna Rocket fan, I am very happy with this pick. No who you gonna listen to? Me or Deluca?

Care to add anything to the discussion other than the home town sentimental bullzhit? Do you have any stats? How many hits did he have? How did he do against larger forwards in his own end. It might put some of us who question the pick at ease if there was something other than being 6' 7" and can skate. He has 34 points in 124 games. Does he get PP time? PK time? Since you are a huge fan it seems you should have a little more info.

There is no drill for intensity. If he doesn't have the passion or desire to dominate in the defensive zone now where is it going to come from? I have to wonder if the only reason he is a first rounder is because he is 6' 7". Being 6' 7" is meaningless unless he is the type of player who is going to use that size to intimidate and make opposing forwards pay that physical price in the Sabres defensive zone.

The last part of your post is as weak as it it lame. I haven't read any post where someone suggested this pick needed to play right away or needed to be of a Hall of Fame quality. I simply brought the question of Myers "tenacity" which he clearly admitted is lacking in his game. It is my feeling that tenacity, intensity or what ever you want to call it is a inherent quality that a player has or is lacking. When I read a young kid saying he doesn't have that quality it raises a huge red flag for me.

Sometimes you outdo yourself. The kid can skate, defend, shoot, and pass. He is 6'7".

He is looking to learn from Z. Chara - and also put on 30-40 pounds.

He is asked what he can do to improve beyond that - if he says nothing he sounds like a prick - what is an 18 year old supposed to say?

What defender doesn't want to play more tenaciously as a goal? How on earth can you turn that into a negative at this point?

Sometimes you outdo yourself. The kid can skate, defend, shoot, and pass. He is 6'7".

He is looking to learn from Z. Chara - and also put on 30-40 pounds.

He is asked what he can do to improve beyond that - if he says nothing he sounds like a prick - what is an 18 year old supposed to say?

What defender doesn't want to play more tenaciously as a goal? How on earth can you turn that into a negative at this point?

DeLuca -- everyone knows the Sabres need a punisher-type defenseman. Nobody wants another Mike Wilson -- and I think it's safe to include Darcy in that group. I think all of us would have liked to have read him say something along the lines of "I intend to crush anyone who comes near the crease", but has ANY 18-yr old draftee EVER said anything like this? I think you're overreacting to his not saying that.

Here are a few items that make me think he's more like Chara than like Wilson:

1. He patterns his game after Pronger. I assume that's OK with you.

2. One scouting report says: "absolutely not afraid of contact and will drop the mitts." OK?

3. His coach says: "He seems to have another gear now and all he wants to do is play and get better," said Rockets coach Ryan Huska. "He's going to turn into one of our leaders." Sound OK?

Since he was the 4th-rated non-goalie in the draft, and since none of us have seen him play other than Rickshaw (who is very high on him), maybe we shouldn't just assume the worst?

And, as has been pointed out numerous times, what happens in the next 3 weeks will have much more impact on the Sabres' next 2 seasons than Myers, Ennis or any of the other picks.

I'm still an optimist.

Go Sabres.

DeLuca -- everyone knows the Sabres need a punisher-type defenseman. Nobody wants another Mike Wilson -- and I think it's safe to include Darcy in that group. I think all of us would have liked to have read him say something along the lines of "I intend to crush anyone who comes near the crease", but has ANY 18-yr old draftee EVER said anything like this? I think you're overreacting to his not saying that.

Here are a few items that make me think he's more like Chara than like Wilson:

1. He patterns his game after Pronger. I assume that's OK with you.

2. One scouting report says: "absolutely not afraid of contact and will drop the mitts." OK?

3. His coach says: "He seems to have another gear now and all he wants to do is play and get better," said Rockets coach Ryan Huska. "He's going to turn into one of our leaders." Sound OK?

Since he was the 4th-rated non-goalie in the draft, and since none of us have seen him play other than Rickshaw (who is very high on him), maybe we shouldn't just assume the worst?

And, as has been pointed out numerous times, what happens in the next 3 weeks will have much more impact on the Sabres' next 2 seasons than Myers, Ennis or any of the other picks.

I'm still an optimist.

Go Sabres.

Which was proven by his One fight? And a coach being an advocate for a player may not be the most impartial opinion.

I don't see where asking questions assumes the worst.

Let's not add Pronger to this. Pronger had 139 points in 124 games with Peterborough. Other than being tall there are no similarities between the two.

Which was proven by his One fight? And a coach being an advocate for a player may not be the most impartial opinion.

I don't see where asking questions assumes the worst.

Let's not add Pronger to this. Pronger had 139 points in 124 games with Peterborough. Other than being tall there are no similarities between the two.

Asking questions does not assume the worst. Putting up posts like this, however, sure sounds like assuming the worst:

It's frustrating to hear the Sabres talk about wanting to get tougher and grittier then they go out and draft a Big Wuss and another Smurf. A lot of teams made moves and got better on Friday. The Sabres are not one of them.

As for Pronger, I merely mentioned him because the kid himself tries to pattern his game after Pronger's. You are concerned about the kid's intensity. If he wants to play like Pronger, then he wants to hit and play with intensity.

Asking questions does not assume the worst. Putting up posts like this, however, sure sounds like assuming the worst:

As for Pronger, I merely mentioned him because the kid himself tries to pattern his game after Pronger's. You are concerned about the kid's intensity. If he wants to play like Pronger, then he wants to hit and play with intensity.

That in there lies the problem. Every player wants to. Not every player can or does. The question I have raised, is intensity a learned behavior or a is part of who you are. IMO, it's part of who you are. You are either intense or not. If Myer has to work at be intense then it's just not part of his nature. I would have preferred the Sabres just stood where they were and let LA trade their pick then draft Colten Teubert who represents size and toughness.

That in there lies the problem. Every player wants to. Not every player can or does. The question I have raised, is intensity a learned behavior or a is part of who you are. IMO, it's part of who you are. You are either intense or not. If Myer has to work at be intense then it's just not part of his nature. I would have preferred the Sabres just stood where they were and let LA trade their pick then draft Colten Teubert who represents size and toughness.

I'll take a 6'7" Bill Hajt over a 6'3" Bob Boughner any day. Were you paying attention to the Red Wings in the Finals? By most accounts they took the best prospect. Its pure folly to question their picks anyway. They have the highest percentage of their picks playing in the NHL and once ownership allows them to finish the job, analysts will sing their praises the way they sing the Red Wings praises now.

I don't go to all the Rockets games as I'm not a season ticket holder. I saw him play a handful of times this past year and thought he was their 2nd best defenseman behind Luke Schenn. Apparently everyone loves the Schenn pick for the Leafs only because he can play next year most likely. But why is it Myers was ranked ahead of him???

Could it be that down the road he'll be a bigger player in the NHL???

I don't have all the stats for the kid. All I know is I am happy with the pick having seen him play. I would have liked Schenn too, but the Myers pick will be a good one in the long run. Patience is a virtue.

I don't need to respond to the bull???? comment. I'm above the name calling.

Don't like the pick if you don't want to. But I, and many others, have long memories and I for one won't have a problem saying "I told you so Deluca."

And likewise, I can take it in return too.

I've tried to stay away from the draft analysis because I don't know enough about these kids to have an informed opinion. I did see on the NHL network they had a kind of "behind the scenes" deal with Central Scouting in their rankings meeting and the one scout who saw Myers said that he felt three years down the road he was going to be a "monster" ... all the defensemen taken ahead of him, and even Teubert, sound like they are closer to NHL-ready right now. Personally, I am fine with that. I want the Sabres to get better on the back end with a legitimate NHL defenseman or two this offseason ... Sekera is going to be in the lineup every night, Weber may see significant time again ... no need for another kid learning on the fly. Teubert may have been the safer pick but Myers has more upside and I am fine with the Sabres swinging for the fences ... solid players are great but maybe the found a difference maker.

I've tried to stay away from the draft analysis because I don't know enough about these kids to have an informed opinion.

That's pretty much what I've been doing as well. I'll be honest, outside of a couple a big names (like Stamkos) I didn't know jack schitt about the majority of the guys drafted, so I'll reserve judgment until I see them play regularly. It does help to have someone post who has seen guys like Myers play more than a few times, though.

I don't go to all the Rockets games as I'm not a season ticket holder. I saw him play a handful of times this past year and thought he was their 2nd best defenseman behind Luke Schenn. Apparently everyone loves the Schenn pick for the Leafs only because he can play next year most likely. But why is it Myers was ranked ahead of him???

Could it be that down the road he'll be a bigger player in the NHL???

I don't have all the stats for the kid. All I know is I am happy with the pick having seen him play. I would have liked Schenn too, but the Myers pick will be a good one in the long run. Patience is a virtue.

I don't need to respond to the bull???? comment. I'm above the name calling.

Don't like the pick if you don't want to. But I, and many others, have long memories and I for one won't have a problem saying "I told you so Deluca."

And likewise, I can take it in return too.

I've admitted before when I felt I was wrong. Just look at my stance on Regier. I hope my concerns are unfounded and this kid has the mean streak he will need to be a force for the Sabres down the road and for many years.

I'll take a 6'7" Bill Hajt over a 6'3" Bob Boughner any day. Were you paying attention to the Red Wings in the Finals? By most accounts they took the best prospect. Its pure folly to question their picks anyway. They have the highest percentage of their picks playing in the NHL and once ownership allows them to finish the job, analysts will sing their praises the way they sing the Red Wings praises now.

It's funny that you mentioned Bill Hajt. I remember how he used to get ripped for being soft. Even a Bill Hajt wouldn't fill the void the Sabres currently have on the blueline.

Also,

Was the drop off from Myers and the next kid picked as great as the drop off from Hajt to Boughner? I doubt it.

It's funny that you mentioned Bill Hajt. I remember how he used to get ripped for being soft. Even a Bill Hajt wouldn't fill the void the Sabres currently have on the blueline.

Also,

Was the drop off from Myers and the next kid picked as great as the drop off from Hajt to Boughner? I doubt it.

Hajt might not fill the entire void, but he'd fill 20 min per game and be top 4 -- and if he were 6'7" and had speed and stamina -- he'd fill 25 min. and be top 2.

Well, Hajt was taken 33rd overall in the draft ... Boughner was taken 32nd ... so basically they were about the same level of prospect (20-some years apart, of course) ... over time, Hajt turned out the be the much better player, but the drop-off you speak off is based on our ability to look back on their whole careers. With these kids it is a projection, and there is no guarantee, so swing for the fences. Teubert could emerge as the better player long-term, but I'd rather have the Sabres be aggressive and take the guy they really like rather than just sit there and take who is left on the theory that they are about the same.

I guess I understand you wanting the guy who has played tougher to this point, but that toughness is a CURRENT need ... I don't think we want either of these guys playing in Buffalo this season. They have 3 years probably before Myers hits the NHL as a regular ... if it turns out the nasty streak is not there, they will know it from watching him in Portland and they can act accordingly to fill that need elsewhere. But his combination of size and skating ability appears to be very rare.

Archived