Bettman wants to give Rangers owners the boot

spndnchz

Remember last year when all the teams websites went to one NHL format? ... and the Rangers throwing up the finger?

linkers

NEW YORK - The NHL is threatening to kick the owners of the New York Rangers out of the league as punishment for accusing league officials of violating antitrust laws.

The NHL filed court papers Wednesday that included a draft letter from commissioner Gary Bettman proposing discipline against Madison Square Garden, L.P., that could lead to suspension or termination of its ownership of the Rangers.

They own most of NYC, why not control their own website?

this can't be serious.

oh, wait - of course it can.

quite a circus, eh? strikes me that the lion could end up eating the ringmaster in this one.

Yeah, if there is a market you want to pick on, it's definitely the largest media market in the league and biggest city (population-wise) in America.

The NHL already won against them in court though ... I dont' get why they want to kick them out ... they already got the government to tell the Rangers to sit down and shut up ... why poke the animal with a stick again?

From the sound of things, suing the league is against the league's constitution. I wouldn't be surprised if the league as a whole isn't a big fan of that ownership group, so they might as well try it. It'll be easy enough to find someone else with deep pockets to take over that big time money maker if they are successful.

Bettman is looking to make an example out of Dolan. He "violated the constitution".

If you're a Bettman hater, then watch Dolan go after him. And if you're a Dolan basher, watch Bettman try to make an example out of him.

I think sillyballs has a hand in it. hmmm, Hamilton Rangers? :chris: arg

link to original article back in '07

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/nhl/...-msg-suit_N.htm

I get that it is against the league rules but is it really worth going to war with one of the league's flagship franchises in the world's biggest media market? Isn't the league enough of a laughingstock to the general public without making headlines that they are trying to kick someone out who is actually making money when half the league still is losing money before revenue sharing?

From the Toronto Star, right around the time of the lawsuit:

LINK

The Rangers surely won't need to draw on their new high-priced forwards in court. It looks like history may be on their side.

In 1995, Dallas owner Jerry Jones filed a $750 million antitrust suit alleging the NFL's merchandising division was an illegal cartel. Jones filed the suit after the NFL sued him when the Cowboys signed marketing agreements with Pepsi and Nike for Texas Stadium. A year later, the NFL backed down.

In 1997, the Yankees filed their own antitrust lawsuit when Major League Baseball tried to kill their $95 million sponsorship contract with adidas. Once more, the league blinked first, agreeing to a settlement that allowed the Yankees to keep their deal.

Now, several lawyers steeped in antitrust law say the Rangers have a good shot of following suit.

"Team websites are available (to Internet users) anywhere and teams clearly compete with each other," says Jeffrey Kessler, an antitrust expert whose clients have included the NFL Players Association. "It used to be that the Devils, Rangers and Islanders would compete against each other (in the New York market) and that was it. But now you can argue all 30 teams are in competition for advertising and sponsorship."

Kessler said that to win the case, the NHL will have to prove restrictions on team websites are necessary.

"They've operated for 80 years without websites or those restrictions so how can they argue that those kinds of restrictions are necessary?" he said.

Of course, when it comes to the courtroom, there are no certainties. Barry Brett, a New York antitrust lawyer, said it's possible a judge could rule the Rangers' claim has nothing to do with antitrust law.

Obviously the NHL has no intention of removing the Rangers as a franchise from NYC. This is positioning so that Dolan can get it through his vicodin/weed-addled mind that Bettman is serious. If the NHL wins and the Dolans are forced to sell, it's a bonus. I'm confident Bettman has the support of the other owners -- all 29 of whom went along with the league's website rule, and most of whom, I'd guess, find Dolan's refusal to do so fairly annoying.

Obviously the NHL has no intention of removing the Rangers as a franchise from NYC. This is positioning so that Dolan can get it through his vicodin/weed-addled mind that Bettman is serious. If the NHL wins and the Dolans are forced to sell, it's a bonus. I'm confident Bettman has the support of the other owners -- all 29 of whom went along with the league's website rule, and most of whom, I'd guess, find Dolan's refusal to do so fairly annoying.

I have to agree. Bettman doesn't move on this without the support of the owners.

Obviously the NHL has no intention of removing the Rangers as a franchise from NYC.

Is anyone actually suggesting that? Anyone who actually believes they're trying to get the team out of NYC would be quite possibly the dumbest person on the face of the earth. No matter what people think of Bettman, he's not that stupid.

Is anyone actually suggesting that? Anyone who actually believes they're trying to get the team out of NYC would be quite possibly the dumbest person on the face of the earth. No matter what people think of Bettman, he's not that stupid.

You're right, of course. I probably mis-interpreted some of the previous posts.

Archived