Drafting a superstar

bottlecap

I was just reading an article about John Tavares and I flashed back to our previous drafts. We haven't drafted a bona fide superstar since Gil Perreault! We've drafted stars like Turgeon (our only other overall #1 besides Perreault), Mogilny and Andreychuk and for the most part we've drafted solidly; alot of our draft picks end up in the league, but it seems we never win any lotteries (except for that first one) and we're too good to crash all the way down to last place.

It doesn't give me much hope of getting Tavares or anyone like him in the future in this or any future draft. The only chance we have is if Darcy snookers someone in a trade.

I was just reading an article about John Tavares and I flashed back to our previous drafts. We haven't drafted a bona fide superstar since Gil Perreault! We've drafted stars like Turgeon (our only other overall #1 besides Perreault), Mogilny and Andreychuk and for the most part we've drafted solidly; alot of our draft picks end up in the league, but it seems we never win any lotteries (except for that first one) and we're too good to crash all the way down to last place.

It doesn't give me much hope of getting Tavares or anyone like him in the future in this or any future draft. The only chance we have is if Darcy snookers someone in a trade.

I hate to see a post go without a response...

Seems as though the only other true superstar was acquired via trade for Turgeon...If it weren't for injury, Patty LaLaLaLaLaLaFantaine might have been one of the greatest players of all time. As it is, he was pretty super.

There are many chances for players to become superstars who aren't drafted #1 or #2. It is up to the GM to find the players and the coaches to develop them.

As far a getting Tavares goes, you are correct in that there is little chance he ends up in Buffalo.

Even if he did end up here, we probably wouldn't pay him after his first contract anyways. So, he'd be gone pretty fast. I think the only guy we ever paid superstar money to was the Dominator.

Even if he did end up here, we probably wouldn't pay him after his first contract anyways. So, he'd be gone pretty fast. I think the only guy we ever paid superstar money to was the Dominator.

Who else exactly deserved it? They were paying LaFontaine ... who since Dom left has deserved "superstar" money? Briere? Drury? They screwed up by waiting so long with them but you can't really believe they are superstars in the class of Hasek ... you make it sound like they had Lemieux and let him walk or something.

There are many chances for players to become superstars who aren't drafted #1 or #2. It is up to the GM to find the players and the coaches to develop them.

As far a getting Tavares goes, you are correct in that there is little chance he ends up in Buffalo.

Very true.

Plus, being no. 1 is no guarantee for success, that's just how it looks these days because the last few drafts have been so deep.

Does anyone think Atlanta felt lucky they got Patrik Stefan? Or perhaps Ottawa, when they drafted Daigle?

Heck, it's not like DiPietro is posting particularly interesting numbers either.

My point? Getting the no. 1 pick is only half the job.

Very true.

Plus, being no. 1 is no guarantee for success, that's just how it looks these days because the last few drafts have been so deep.

Does anyone think Atlanta felt lucky they got Patrik Stefan? Or perhaps Ottawa, when they drafted Daigle?

Heck, it's not like DiPietro is posting particularly interesting numbers either.

My point? Getting the no. 1 pick is only half the job.

Well yeah but the other half of the job seems to be getting lucky enough to get it in a year when the kid has a heart ... it's not like Pittsburgh developed Crosby better than Ottawa developed Daigle ... any of the 30 teams would have made the same pick in both cases ... some of these guys just don't respond to the challenge ... still, in the last 20 drafts or so there have been only two flat-out useless busts at #1, Stefan and Daigle ... look at the list from 2006-1986 ... odds are you are getting a damn good player in that spot:

Sidney Crosby

Alex Ovechkin

Marc-Andre Fleury

Rick Nash

Ilya Kovalchuk

Rick DiPietro

Patrik Stefan

Vincent Lecavalier

Joe Thornton

Chris Phillips

Bryan Berard

Ed Jovanovski

Alexandre Daigle

Roman Hamrlik

Eric Lindros

Owen Nolan

Mats Sundin

Mike Modano

Pierre Turgeon

Joe Murphy

What exactly counts as a superstar though? Depending on your definition, I'd say that most teams rarely draft superstars. Even if they do, I wonder how long they hold on to them. When I think of the elite players from this league, especially over the last 10-15 years, not too many stayed with one team the whole way through. Sure, drafting a superstar would be nice, but I can live with drafting good players at a solid rate.

Guest Sloth
What exactly counts as a superstar though? Depending on your definition, I'd say that most teams rarely draft superstars. Even if they do, I wonder how long they hold on to them. When I think of the elite players from this league, especially over the last 10-15 years, not too many stayed with one team the whole way through. Sure, drafting a superstar would be nice, but I can live with drafting good players at a solid rate.

Come on, you still would love to have a Malkin caliber player on the team right way. Can you honestly say no?

Come on, you still would love to have a Malkin caliber player on the team right way. Can you honestly say no?

Well ... everyone is hot after Jokinen ... is he a superstar? his team sucked and missed the playoffs ... same for Kovalchuk, Lecavalier, Sundin ... Nash .... All missed the playoffs ... one guy does not solve everything. Put Malkin on Atlanta and Kovalchuk on Pittsburgh ... who makes the playoffs? Here's a hint: It ain't Malkin. I like him too but not at ANY price.

Guest Sloth
Well ... everyone is hot after Jokinen ... is he a superstar? his team sucked and missed the playoffs ... same for Kovalchuk, Lecavalier, Sundin ... Nash .... All missed the playoffs ... one guy does not solve everything. Put Malkin on Atlanta and Kovalchuk on Pittsburgh ... who makes the playoffs? Here's a hint: It ain't Malkin. I like him too but not at ANY price.

I would never suggest one guy solves everything, but Ollie wouldn't be a cap buster. He would be a great benefit to the Sabres. Nash, Lecavalier, etc...are all on teams w/ no defense and average, if not terrible, goaltending...Nash does have a good goalie, though.

Agreed.

And just add my 2 cents, if Rick Nash was available, there's a guy I wouldn't mind unloading Stafford and Paille for.

You're right. One person does not solve everything.

Two people solve everything.

Look at the Boston Celtics. Getting Ray Allen and Garnett in the offseason changed everything.

You're right. One person does not solve everything.

Two people solve everything.

Look at the Boston Celtics. Getting Ray Allen and Garnett in the offseason changed everything.

In Basketball, one or two people can change a whole team around. In hockey, one or two guys can make a difference provided you have the other pieces in place, like I believe Buffalo does.

Paille OR Stafford, yes ... not both ... but that's just me.

For Nash? I'd be willing to go Paille, Stafford and even a high pick, no question about it. 154 goals, 276 points in 363 games (.76 PPG)? Those are phenomenal numbers in Hitchcock's system on a team nearly completely bereft of offensive talent. (For comparison, Vanek - in a wide-open offensive system with very good offensive players around him -- 104 goals, 196 points in 245 games, .80 PPG.)

Although I would try to get them to take Vanek, Max, someone with a bigger contract and not raiding all our younger players.

Doesn't the Buffalo Bandits have a guy named John Tavares?? Kind of confusing, but I wasn't sure.

Darcy is gonna find the "Superstar" this year fellas!!

Yeah its the kids dad. lol

About the draft, if we want a super star i think we have to trade up and select Kyle Beach.

Yeah its the kids dad. lol

About the draft, if we want a super star i think we have to trade up and select Kyle Beach.

I absolutely agree. I've heard comparisons to Claude Lemieux and Wendel Clark. The kid has a lot of talent and plays and all-around game with an edge. Sounds like the kind of player we need.

Archived