Darcy Tucker on the Move?

Rayzor32

NATIONAL POST: Michael Traikos reports the agent for Darcy Tucker said his client is prepared for the possibility of the team buying him out and his playing elsewhere next season. While new head coach Ron Wilson during the press conference announcing his hiring hinted that Tucker might not fit into the team's future plans GM Cliff Fletcher said no decision has yet been made on the winger's future with the team.

Not sure if we should pursue him or not, assuming they buy him out. We need "piss and vinegar" which he has plenty of, plus he can still score a bit, but I have very little respect for him personally....any thoughts pro or con on bringing him to BUF?

He has been pretty beat up but in spite of it all, he put up numbers almost identical to Paille's and everyone wants to tell me how great Paille is. He definitely brings some grit and experience and for the right price wouldn't mind seeing him as a third and forth line player who could fill in as needed on the top two lines. However, I think he will be hoping for more.

He has been pretty beat up but in spite of it all, he put up numbers almost identical to Paille's and everyone wants to tell me how great Paille is. He definitely brings some grit and experience and for the right price wouldn't mind seeing him as a third and forth line player who could fill in as needed on the top two lines. However, I think he will be hoping for more.

You missed two very important issues with that comment:

24 vs. 33

585K (and rising) vs. 3 million

Tucker is a punk. He used to have a lot of intensity, but now that he's a bit older he isn't the same player IMO. Plus he's just unstable. Takes dumb penalties. And Lindy thinks he's a cheap shot artist, which I agree with to an extent.

There are plenty of other guys out there to fill that role that I do agree we need to address. I'd rather have old man Roberts over Tucker, for example.

Tucker is a punk. He used to have a lot of intensity, but now that he's a bit older he isn't the same player IMO. Plus he's just unstable. Takes dumb penalties. And Lindy thinks he's a cheap shot artist, which I agree with to an extent.

There are plenty of other guys out there to fill that role that I do agree we need to address. I'd rather have old man Roberts over Tucker, for example.

I agree. Tucker = Avery. They are both punks, who suffer from short-man syndrome. They take liberties with cheap shots because their lack of size puts them at a disadvantage. They both suck, and should be placed in a cage to fight to the death. That's the only condition I would ever want to see them in Buffalo.

NATIONAL POST: Michael Traikos reports the agent for Darcy Tucker said his client is prepared for the possibility of the team buying him out and his playing elsewhere next season. While new head coach Ron Wilson during the press conference announcing his hiring hinted that Tucker might not fit into the team's future plans GM Cliff Fletcher said no decision has yet been made on the winger's future with the team.

Not sure if we should pursue him or not, assuming they buy him out. We need "piss and vinegar" which he has plenty of, plus he can still score a bit, but I have very little respect for him personally....any thoughts pro or con on bringing him to BUF?

While I like his passion, I don't think guys like him, Neil or that nobody from NYR whose name I keep forgetting, belong in this league.

65% of his goals come on backdoor plays on the PP, which means he'd score 7 a year here, and he's always injured to boot.

I believe he told them that he would veto any trade and that if they want to get rid of him, a buyout is the only option

I wouldn't bother going after him. If the Leafs aren't interested and willing to buy him out, how good can he really be?

Are you kidding? Based on the decisions the Leafs have made recently I would guess Tucker is ready for a 50 goal and 130 point season winning the Hart and the Rocket Richard trophies. The Leafs are like George from Seinfeld. What ever they do you do the opposite.

What would you want Tucker for? He does not fill a need for this team. This team needs a centerman who can win faceoffs. This team, specifically needs a centerman to play between Hecht and Pominville. Tucker is not the guy to play center between Hecht and Pominville. Additionally, while I like the way he plays, I'd rather keep Kaleta who pretty much can do just slightly less than Tucker and is a lot younger and cheaper. If Kaleta could score more points he'd be Tucker. No reason to sign Tucker when you have Kaleta here. He does not fit a need on this team. We don't need to acquire more 3rd or 4th line guys. We have enough of those guys. We need leadership and scoring. We also need better blueline play. I don't see how Tucker would fit into the Sabres at all. Yeah, he comes with grit, but I think there are more talented gritty players out there than Darcy Tucker, and I'd rather have them than Tucker.

Are you kidding? Based on the decisions the Leafs have made recently I would guess Tucker is ready for a 50 goal and 130 point season winning the Hart and the Rocket Richard trophies. The Leafs are like George from Seinfeld. What ever they do you do the opposite.

I don't really now if I would agree with that, how many players that the Leafs have given up on and dumped/tried to get rid of have really gone out and done anything big recently?

I agree. Tucker = Avery. They are both punks, who suffer from short-man syndrome. They take liberties with cheap shots because their lack of size puts them at a disadvantage. They both suck, and should be placed in a cage to fight to the death. That's the only condition I would ever want to see them in Buffalo.

You know, the funny thing is that your description pretty much fits Kaleta as well, a guy who is a saint around this board. There's one main difference though, Tucker and Avery can put the puck in the net. Now I'm not saying they should go after either player, but if either of them played in Buffalo during the prime of their careers, we would've loved them. Just look at Matthew Barnaby. People loved everything he did, but the second he left (or maybe a bit earlier), he became a cheap punk.

You know, the funny thing is that your description pretty much fits Kaleta as well, a guy who is a saint around this board. There's one main difference though, Tucker and Avery can put the puck in the net. Now I'm not saying they should go after either player, but if either of them played in Buffalo during the prime of their careers, we would've loved them. Just look at Matthew Barnaby. People loved everything he did, but the second he left (or maybe a bit earlier), he became a cheap punk.

Yea, but he's saying "cheap shots". Can you name any cheap shots by Kaleta? I think there was maybe one hit where he knocked someone's head into the glass. The rest of his hits are clean and brutal--the best kind. He doesn't pull the antics of Avery, Tucker, or even Barnaby, so to me it's not even close.

Yea, but he's saying "cheap shots". Can you name any cheap shots by Kaleta? I think there was maybe one hit where he knocked someone's head into the glass. The rest of his hits are clean and brutal--the best kind. He doesn't pull the antics of Avery, Tucker, or even Barnaby, so to me it's not even close.

He'll leave his feet from time to time. He'll hit people late from time to time. And if you say he doesn't have any antics, watch as he turtles a bit when people come after him. If you're going to play that style, you going to have to answer for those actions, something he hasn't done yet.

I think we see him the same way. I couldn't imagine Kaleta waving his stick in Brodeur's face. I don't see Kaleta taking cheap shots. Late hits? When he has someone lined up on the boards, he hits them. Do you think he would make the hit that Neil made on Drury in open ice, from behind? I don't see it. And that's the difference. He makes his hit and tries to draw penalties, which I would say he does quite well. Anther poster called it turtling -- I call it a power play. Now if we could just score on the PP...

You do realize that the Avery one was a 3 second wrestling match, right? But anyway, I'm talking more about his tendency to turtle. He falls down so quickly. When someone like Avery does it, he's a punk. When Kaleta does it, he's a cult hero for drawing penalties.

From what I have seen, Kaleta puts on a hit and then a retaliation penalty is called on the other team. If Kaleta fights back, it is even strength. Your logic to see him fight back is losing me...

From what I have seen, Kaleta puts on a hit and then a retaliation penalty is called on the other team. If Kaleta fights back, it is even strength. Your logic to see him fight back is losing me...

Kaleta needed to fight back to gain respect from his own teammates. Like Shrader said, he has a tendency to hit and run, which is alright, but it was important for him to take on Veilleux in the eyes of his teammates.

Tom already commented on half of it, but the other half is that Tucker and Avery do the same exact things and are vilified for it. Also, there were a good number of times where he did nothing but got a penalty anyway. What's the point then?

The only parallel I would draw between Kaleta and Avery/Tucker is that they all fill the role of agitator. I haven't seen him do anything close to the garbage Tucker has pulled (cheap shots on Peca and Hecht were two of the more prominent times he targeted another players' knees) or Avery's classless crap (the Brodeur incidents.)

Both Avery and Tucker are more polished on the offensive side of the game, and both have/will push the envelope further than Kaleta will (at this point.) Who knows how Kaleta will continue to develop his instigator side and whether he will develop a cheap-shot side, but I haven't seen anything close to what Tucker and co. do.

Archived